Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Unisteer install

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SIZE-O 
#1 ·
So Perry and I decided we would install Unisteer electric power steering. I thought I would post a couple of pictures here of the bracket we came up with to mount the unit. It's a pretty simple bracket. A 4 inch pipe was cut in half lengthwise and notched out to miss the cross frame at the front of the chassis. A vertical mounting plate holds the motor, we tossed the old mounting plate out. This plate is mounted at the same angle as the shaft coming out of the steering rack, not square to the chassis. The vertical plate is braced at the back to prevent it flexing. The pipe straddles the main frame and is held with a muffler clamp. We will tap a couple of bolts into the frame to keep it from rotating. Once we get things wired up we will pull it apart and have it powder coated. At the moment nothing is tightened but it is very stable.

Murray

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
And here is a picture of the brackets before install.

Perry

Attachments

#4 ·
Been working on my EPS conversion using the Saturn unit. Mechanically in, need to wire and test.

#5 ·
Unisteer

I really like the idea of using EPS. Where did you purchase the Unisteer and do you have a part#? Please continue to update this post once its in operation, I would like to know your thoughts on the unit and how it performs. Thanks

Dave

#6 ·
Perry and I bought the same unit. We got them directly from Unisteer via their website. We went with the 220 Watt unit and also bought the variable assist module. Perry ordered the universal joints from Unisteer but chose not to use them. We have both used Flaming River universal joints. Not sure I still have the packaging for those to check part numbers, I can check. It will be a couple of months before the snow clears here so will not have comments on how the system works until we get back on the road.

#7 ·
I found the parts numbers.

Flaming River FR1783DD. This is the 11/16"-36 spline x 3/4" DD universal joints that connects to the input and output shaft of the motor.

Flaming River FR1716DD. This is the 3/4" DD x 3/4" DD coupler you need between the bearing at the firewall and the universal joint on the motor.

Perry

Attachments

#8 ·
And another photo

Attachments

#9 ·
I sure wish that I had gone the EPS route. I bought the AGR rack which was defective , and threw it out and replaced with a Breeze rack. My first PS pump did not work. My first hydraulic lines leaked. Yech! I am so tired of PS fluid on my garage floor! I wasted a lot of money on this. Next time, EPS!

#10 ·
Now that we got the EPS system up and running, what would be a good place to start with updating the alignment specs. Prior, I had the standard setup with 3 degrees of castor, camber at -0.5 degrees and total toe of 1/16". I also have the flaming rive 15:1 rack and just installed Mike Fortes bump steer and Breeze offset bushings.

Any suggestions from experience is always appreciated

Perry

#11 ·
Crank in as much + caster as you can get. Seems that 6-7 can be obtained w/ stock UCAs depending which version. For more you may need either a longer front sleeve or to shorten the rear sleeve. I like 8-9 deg.

#12 ·
Thanks for the info. For now I will try for 6 degrees and see how it feels. How would I know if I need more? I would think I have to base line the setup at 6 degrees with no electric assist and go for a drive. Then start dialing in some assist and see where the steering starts to get a little loose?? Then i would need more castor?

Thanks,
Perry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.