Pics/ Ideas for interior lighting - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pics/ Ideas for interior lighting

I just picked up my Cobra about a month and a half ago, and want to add lights to the interior. I will use it mostly for car shows & cruise nights ...when I leave it is usually dark. It would be nice to have some footwell lighting. I was actually thinking about some hooking up a switch for them to go on and off on the doors are open. Let's see some ideas!
OVRPWRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ray

Garage
I don't have any photos but we installed a pair of led lights on the 2x2 bar just ahead of the lower dash with a rocker switch below the dash. It's enough light to get the seat belts on, read a map etc. but not distracting when they're on.

I'll try to grab a photo but it will have to wait for tonight...

Ray
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Plodding Along
FFCars Master Craftsman

I added a pair of reproduction Ford interior light brackets with sockets and bare bulbs for a period-correct look. They're installed in the under-dash support pan that I added from Mike Everson, but could be installed in other configurations.

You may also want to check at your local Advance Auto or Auto Zone as they have some easy-to-install LED lighting that would work, too.

You can see the original-style socket to the left of the steering shaft in this picture. There is a 1 1/4" hole cut below it in the panel so that the bare bulb is visible. These cast a very "old" looking yellowish light down into each footwell.

Mk3.1 #7074
Picked-up at FFR - 10/10/09
First start and go-kart - 9/19/12
"As smoke is blown away; so blow them away." Psalm 68:2
CCRsAC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cobra Enthusiast

I used adhesive LED strips on the angle at the bottom of the dash and connected them to the courtesy light circuit on my GM-style light switch.These strips draw vey little current and light up the footwells completely. HTH, Jim
TURBOSNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member

Lights, Yea..

A while back there was an offer to get some lights from a Forum member who had bought a large quantity and passed on the savings. I got six of them. They have a frosted lens which makes them not as bright as I would like, but I may be able to change to an LED, or a clear lens later on, I want to see what they are actually like, in the dark, after I get the car on the road.

I mounted one under the dash, on the 2 x 2, on each side, and since I have cockpit accessible storage above the differential, another one on each side on the back wall (I also put another pair in the trunk).

I wired the two on the driver side to a door activated switch, and the two on the passenger side on another door activated switch so each side only comes on when that door is open. I wired them directly off the battery so they will come on even when the battery cut-off switch is in the off position.

I also put the Mustang dome light at the top of my cockpit accessible storage area and wired it to a switch mounted on the dash, it is also wired directly off the battery.

Regards, Rick.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
CRZN 427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

For my Mk3 build, I used some LED downlights from a former forum vendor in each footwell. Installed them in the dash support on each end. I used a separate switch on the DS dash support. Pictured below. They're fine, but not real bright.

For my Mk4 build, used these: West Marine # 12645099 LED accent light, stainless steel, amp draw: 40mA. watts: 0.55. Also installed them on the dash support on each end exactly like the Mk3 build, except switching them with the courtesy light setting on the headlight switch. Also putting one in the trunk, and will switch with a pin switch (e.g. whenever the trunk is opened). Thought about pin switches for the doors, but couldn't come up with anything too neat/clean with the hinges. These are nice and bright and work perfect for this application.

This is the DS light on my Mk3. Same setup in the Mk4 just with the different fixture.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Start: 10/31/2009. New build. 306, AFR 165s, QF SS-650 carb, T5z, PB, Gas-N pipes. Red/white club, legal 09/28/2011.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Deliv: 09/09/2012. New build. Levy 5-link, Wilwood brakes, PS, DART 347 stroker, AFR heads, QF SS-750 carb, TKO600. First start: 02/22/2014. Go-kart: 04/06/2014. Color? Stay tuned. Build thread: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ss-update.html
edwardb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Snake Farmer

Garage
I added a pair to underdash panel. In that position they can also work as a map light if need be. On/off using gauge light rheostat switch.

AC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have standard LED bar in each footwell, plus the door lighting. Can be activated trough door switch, headlight switch and on with disalarming arm (walk up to car, interior lights are on at night)

Where's the handle?
Tyler Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
2007 Calendar Cover Car

A couple older pics of mine...

Hit the clutch, hit the gear, hit the gas & I'm gone...
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

I have LED, I think they are licence plate lights, on the 2X2 tube that comes down in front of the doors. They have a chrome cover, but I did make aluminum spacers because the wire comes out of the back. They are hidden and light up the footwells nicely. I have them hooked up to the headlight switch courtesy light position. I am also going to put pin switches on as soon as I am sure my door position is finalized.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
FFR Rookie Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

Howdy,

I used 2 of these LED strip lights to light the trunk of my Spyder.

They are about the size of a $.25 pack of gum and cost $3.99/ea.

Here's a link to were I bought them:

6K WHITE 9W 3 LED HIGH POWER PANEL LIGHT

Paul
FFR 4859GT 414W, Tremec TKO 5spd. IRS w/3.55 and Torsen diff. 13" dual-piston front & 12" rear disc brakes. 03 Cobra wheels, 275/40 & 315/35 tires. Possibly the only person in the world that is currently building a Spyder GT.

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
stengun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

Like above, I have the adhesive back cut-to-length LED strip lighting on the dash 2x2 and wired to the headlight switch. Simply turn the knob and you have plenty of light to see to buckle in, etc.

HTH...
Mark

2006: 2/14 Delivery by Stewart Transport, 8/15 becomes a roller, 8/26 drivetrain installed, 10/15 first engine start, 12/23 wiring completed, 12/31 body test fit

2007: 2/25 first go-cart, 4/15 leaves for paint, 8/24 paint prep begins, 12/10 paint work completed

2008: 1/7 home from paint, 2/1 titled, tagged, and insured, 3/15 interior complete, 6/2 alignment, 6/4 Graduation
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
Like above, I have the adhesive back cut-to-length LED strip lighting on the dash 2x2 and wired to the headlight switch. Simply turn the knob and you have plenty of light to see to buckle in, etc.

HTH...
Mark
Just wire directly to the original ff switch?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

That is correct. The FFR headlight switch is based off of an early '70s GM switch (Nova, Camaro, etc.) and there is a terminal for interior lighting on it. You simply rotate the knob CCW until it "clicks" and that terminal has power and will cause your interior lights, whatever you choose, to illuminate.

I wanted to do door pin switches as well but opted for simplicity...

Mark

2006: 2/14 Delivery by Stewart Transport, 8/15 becomes a roller, 8/26 drivetrain installed, 10/15 first engine start, 12/23 wiring completed, 12/31 body test fit

2007: 2/25 first go-cart, 4/15 leaves for paint, 8/24 paint prep begins, 12/10 paint work completed

2008: 1/7 home from paint, 2/1 titled, tagged, and insured, 3/15 interior complete, 6/2 alignment, 6/4 Graduation
Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks Mark. Think I'll go the same route and hook to the switch. I assume it works with the key off?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

Yup, it is a hot at all times connection...

Mark

Old 02-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRPWRD View Post
I just picked up my Cobra about a month and a half ago, and want to add lights to the interior. I will use it mostly for car shows & cruise nights ...when I leave it is usually dark. It would be nice to have some footwell lighting. I was actually thinking about some hooking up a switch for them to go on and off on the doors are open. Let's see some ideas!
I used West Marine LEDs in the under dash panels also. Very compact and alot of light. I used a rocker switch in my center console, but I like the idea of using the headlight switch.,..another change. I also added LED puck lights in the trunk and under the Bonnet hooked to the same switch...has come in handy on trips

Hinged panels dropped down:
3.1 IRS Complete Kit #6616, June 08 delivery; 347 stroker; TKO 500 Mid Shift; SAI & Bumpsteer Mods; Manual Rack;
" At 60 there is no time left to delay your Dreams "
SJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
WECSOCC Honors Graduate

I took another play out of the Jeff Kleiner book that I saw on his Indy14 Build thread. These lights have a nice vintage look to them, are nice and compact and I will run them from the same "Dome Light" position on the Mustang light switch you folks are using on the FFR/GM switch.

MK4 #8189
Ordered 7/22/13; Delivered 11/8/13

351W, TW170 58cc heads, 9.5:1, X303 cam, Performer RPM, 670 Holley, TKO600, 3.27 3-link
nukemmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement