Wiring Pin Switch - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Garage
Wiring Pin Switch

I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, I tend to do that often on my build.

I recently bought a couple of these door switches to wire door courtesy lights and trunk lights.
Seems simple enough, but I've never wired one of these before. I believe it's just a ground, triggered when the Pin is released (door is open). Just to confirm then, I run a Hot to the light and the ground side goes to the bottom of this switch(?). The pin body (brass portion) needs to be grounded, correct?) (Can I carefully solder the ground wire into the bottom or is it supposed to be a crimp? I'll cover with heat-shrink afterwards)

OK, if I got the first part right, then the next question is, how do I wire that same courtesy light to my dash light switch, so I can turn on the courtesy lights from the dash light switch? (wouldn't that be a switched hot-wire??) (please tell me it's not a relay, those really confuse me. must be an ADD thing )

MPTech MK4 Garage F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!
MPTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Master Craftsman

Wink grounded pin switches

can be used for all kinds of things, courtesy lights are the most prevalent.
Make sure the pin switch is actually grounded - remember, we have fiberglass cars and not everything that is metal connects to a grounded source. A door hinge shouldn't be an issue.

As for the headlight switch activating the courtesy lights, the "clicked detent" at the end of the knob rotation should provide a ground to whatever is connected to it. It is not powered. Hence, you can activate your door open courtesy lamps with either a door opening pin switch -or- by rotating the headlight switch to full rotation (this is assuming that you are running a FORD style headlight switch that provides a grounded terminal at full twist). You'll need to verify that is what your headlight switch does . . .

HTH

Doc
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
Big Blocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman

And if the headlight switch doesn't have that feature you could always put a toggle switch next to it to provide a ground. that might make it more complicated than you want though because it would have to ground all the lights, and then, any of the door switches would also ground all the lights rather than just the one for that door.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, I tend to do that often on my build.

I recently bought a couple of these door switches to wire door courtesy lights and trunk lights. Seems simple enough, but I've never wired one of these before. I believe it's just a ground, triggered when the Pin is released (door is open). Just to confirm then, I run a Hot to the light and the ground side goes to the bottom of this switch(?).
Others are giving good info. If you have the standard FFR Ron Francis wiring harness, it's a piece of cake. There are two wires in the harness labeled "Courtesy lights." One red, which is hot all the time (battery), and one grey that is a ground circuit switched by rotating the headlight switch as Big Blocker described.

If you wire the plus side of the light desired to the red wire, and the ground though the pin switch to ground, when the pin is released (door open, trunk open, etc.) the light will light. Since it's a battery wire, ignition switch doesn't need to be on. You can attach several lights to the red wire, and each can have their own ground pin switch.

Use the grey wire for grounds to any lights you want to come on when the headlight switch is rotated.

For my Mk4 build, I'm using the red and grey for my footbox downlights, so I can turn them on by rotating the headlight switch. I'm installing a trunk light using only the red wire and a pin switch to ground. It will turn on any time the trunk lid is opened.

Just need to be careful since these are battery circuits, and will drain your battery if left on. Most modern cars have a function that kills these kinds of lights after a period of time to prevent that.
Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Start: 10/31/2009. New build. 306, AFR 165s, QF SS-650 carb, T5z, PB, Gas-N pipes. Legal 09/28/2011, sold 11/08/2014
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Deliv: 09/09/2012. New build. Levy 5-link, Wilwood brakes, PS, DART 347 stroker, AFR heads, QF SS-750 carb, TKO600. First start: 02/22/2014. Go-kart: 04/06/2014. Red/white club (again). Build thread: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ss-update.html
edwardb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement