perfomance brakes on irs - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

perfomance brakes on irs

I decided to upgrade to a performance pad on my roadster, over the carbon pads I had. I dont want to go all out with a full brake upgrade, and I have been very satisfied with the Hawk yellow ceramic pads that I put on my Corvette when it was new. The only problem Im finding is that its hard to find a ceramic pad for a t-bird/cougar caliper. What is everyone else using and how satisfied are you?

MK3 FFR5004, 427 FE, TKO-600, lots of csx parts, IRS W/3.73'S, Blue/White stripes, pin drive, Vintage wheels & GoodYears.

MK4 FFR7???, Bride's ride. street car, no bar or scoops, undercar exhaust, LS1 w 4l60e auto, ac, and all the comfy stuff

11 Vette GS ... daily driver
94 Vette Coupe 28k miles ... garage art
70 Vette Convertable ... 20 year resto project
57 Chevy Truck ... shop truck aka beater
69 Camaro Z28/RS 16k miles ... barn find
bgbadaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Lightbulb

BG: If you want an aggressive brake pad I would recommend the Hawk HPP (HP+ pad) for your car. I'm not sure they make them for the stock T-bird caliper but adding them to the front will definitely help. The HPP pad is an Auto cross /road racing pad that I recently added to my Coupe that I run in Auto-X. I have a brake upgrade for the rear that I got from Richard Oben (forum vendor) and have the HPP pads on the rear. I was running stock pads on the front (13 inch Mustang cobra units) and switching to the HPP brake pads for the front was a tremendous improvement. They are quiet dirty and can be hard on rotors but they bite like crazy, almost like having power brakes on my manual set up. Hawk also has the HPS (street version) but if you want aggressive braking try the HPP on both ends if you can get them for the back.
This is my experience I'm sure others will chime in with other recommendations.
HTH
CB
Cone Basher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Porterfield R4s
Old 09-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Messina View Post
Porterfield R4s
x2; Porterfield R4S
tad240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

3X on the R4S, they grab as well or better than the EBC Green Stuff but dust 90% less. You can also order them right off the Porterfield web site.
FFR #3870 MK II, Spectra Blue/Arctic White, 1974 414W, 10:1, Eagle 4340 crank and rods, KB Pistons, Ported Performer RPM 2.02 heads & intake, QFT SS-650, Comp XR282HR, Quality Roadsters pan, Crane ignition, TKO600, 3.55 gears, 3 link, QA1's, Tubular LCA's, Heim joints & VPM F/R bars, Power steering with Hiedts valve, Power brakes, Fortes bump steer kit, 5 bolt axels, SSBC rear brakes, Oil cooler, Pusher fans, Halibrand Cobra III's with Nitto 555 245/275/17
johnnybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member

Garage
EBC Yellowstuff

I had standard Mustang front end and standard T-bird at the back. No servo or booster - it was really hard to stop and hopeless when cold.

I fitted the EBC pads and it felt better everywhere - hot and cold - a bit more brake dust, but then I got none before!

I have since done a few trackdays and the EBCs were fine, no fade, no issues, but still felt like it wouldn't stop from 130+ in a hurry.

Fitted a remote servo this year and tried again - hey I can now lock wheels if I try too hard! Got the brakes I have always wanted for this car at last!

Even with all this extra braking -on road or track the EBC'c are perfect - 100% recommendation from me! Love them.

Best regards

Ian
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Another option would be pads from Carbotech. They make a fair amount of pads for the F5R spec racing guys and know these cars. I have their type 1521 performance street pads front and rear and Iím happy with them. Mostly street driving but I did a day of autocross and I thought they worked just fine with my manual brakes; 2 piston PBR calipers on the front and stock Lincoln IRS calipers on the rear. They have a nice firm feel and I would say some slight dusting.

Jack
Judged Best In Class; Production Road Racer at World Of Wheels Chicago 2013. Ford BOSS 347 short block, Dart Al heads.. 360 RWHP, T-5 Z, IRS W/ Detroit Truetrac & 3.73s, SN95 spindles w/SAI mod, 99 PBR brakes, AGR Power Steering, and a Load of engineering changes. Graduation Post #22 http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...fr-5773-a.html
Jack Wojack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement