Undercoating products? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Undercoating products?

I am looking for a product that I can spray on the underside of the car as well as something to spray on the underside of the fiberglass body. Is there a product out there that can accomplish both, or will two different products be better?

The car is going into alignment this weekend and the guy aligning it said we could use the lift to apply undercoating to the chassis and footboxes if we want.

Kit Delivered & Build Started: 11-6-10
First Start: 5-26-12
First Go-Kart: 8-4-13
Registered & Legal 5-7-14

MK IV #7369, 3-Link, 4 Disc Brakes, 17" Bullitts, Kuhmo Ecsta XS 245x45 & 315x35, 3.55 Rear, AOD w/ Lentech street terminator valve body, 5.0 EFI, E-Cam, Explorer Intake, GT40p Heads w/ 1.6 Roller Rockers, 4x4 Headers.

"The biggest helping hand is the one attached to your own freaking arm." -ETriggs
evvander11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Snake Farmer

Garage
Just my own opinion, but I wouldn't spray the entire underside of the car.
There are spray cans of rubberized undercoating that will work well on both the fiberglass, and the aluminum. Some use a bed-liner material.

I first painted the complete underside of my body with an epoxy paint to seal it. Before installing the body, I sprayed a bed-liner in the wheel arches. After the body was on, I used a spray can undercoating, on the aluminum in those same areas, mainly to seal off the seams, as well as to prevent road debris pinging off the aluminum...
AC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

I did not spray any of the frame or aluminum panels. Sound and heat products (stick on) were used on the inside of the cockpit though).

For the fiberglass body we used ceramic-based Lizard Skin. This was for several reasons including fire protection, rock chip/crack protection from debris thrown from the tires, insulate the body from driveline heat, and to give the visible fiberglass areas (engine bay) a uniform color and texture.

HTH...
Mark

2006: 2/14 Delivery by Stewart Transport, 8/15 becomes a roller, 8/26 drivetrain installed, 10/15 first engine start, 12/23 wiring completed, 12/31 body test fit

2007: 2/25 first go-cart, 4/15 leaves for paint, 8/24 paint prep begins, 12/10 paint work completed

2008: 1/7 home from paint, 2/1 titled, tagged, and insured, 3/15 interior complete, 6/2 alignment, 6/4 Graduation
Mustang Man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know its not spray on, but I used Herculiner on the complete fiberglass underbody as well as all aluminum pieces that were directly exposed to the tires or the road.

Rolls on easy, and is durable as hell. I also rolled it on the decking of my trailer and drive my snowmobile across it regularly without issues.
MK3.1 Picked up 06/06/2009. FFR #7000 RDS
3-link 3.73; TKO600; 393W 500Hp/490TQ

If your not 1st the view never changes!
FFRCobraPoison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

FWIW, My painter sprayed a 3M product under each fender well to prevent stone chips. I dont recall the exact name, but it may be the Body schutz product.

When the car was finished, I sprayed the Al panels with 3M undercoating out of a spray can, on the underside for added protection. After about 2500 miles I can see significant wear on the spray can application and zero wear on the body shop stuff. I would use the best stuff possible under the fenders.
#7619 MKIV IRS complete kit, non donor
351 tko 500
Delivered Nov 13, 2011
First start December 31, 2011
First gocart Jan 12 ,2012
picked up from painter 5/5/2012
Graduation 05/12/201

graduation thread
emac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

i used Heruliner for the splash guards and wheel wells because it's the "blackest black" product out there. those parts are visible.

for the body underside to keep the thrown-rock noise and threat down, i used rubberized spray undercoat. goes on brownish, dries blackish, but not as black as the herculiner.

like mentioned above, i would not do the entire underside of the car. it would probably look nasty and it's not necessary.

what's the specific purpose of undercoating your whole underside of the car?

Glamour Shots

FREE Fender Spat Template & a few useful CAD files for everyone, click here!

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

NiceGuyEddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

I don't know that the intention was to coat the entire underside, more just the aluminum panels that are exposed to road wear.

Kit Delivered & Build Started: 11-6-10
First Start: 5-26-12
First Go-Kart: 8-4-13
Registered & Legal 5-7-14

MK IV #7369, 3-Link, 4 Disc Brakes, 17" Bullitts, Kuhmo Ecsta XS 245x45 & 315x35, 3.55 Rear, AOD w/ Lentech street terminator valve body, 5.0 EFI, E-Cam, Explorer Intake, GT40p Heads w/ 1.6 Roller Rockers, 4x4 Headers.

"The biggest helping hand is the one attached to your own freaking arm." -ETriggs
evvander11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

interesting, my underside panels have NO road wear. remember, they are tucked up over the round tubes a bit. the lower front nose of the car is only a few inches off the ground and it's TRASHED - that must have kept everything from bouncing underneath the car.

i lived in PA for two years, i know all the coal & sand left on the roads after the winter, that may come into play.

now under the sidepipes behind the front wheels - TRASHED. strange, they are totally shiny on top but trashed on the bottom.

it's the owners perogative, but i would recommend not undercoating the underside of the car.

not to hijack, but if you are really worried about protection in general, by far the biggest area of concern is the nose. check out my post on the clear bra:

3M 90000 Paint Defender spray-on clear bra, just $30

i am 100% sure it would protect the bottom, and it will peel off if you want to. you'd be the first to do it!

Glamour Shots

FREE Fender Spat Template & a few useful CAD files for everyone, click here!

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

NiceGuyEddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Front nose trashed

Eddie - I just finished fabricating a little "rub panel" to mount on the underside of the center of the nose - used a nylon cutting board (found a black one), and cut it to the shape of the front center nose area. I counter-sunk some holes in the material to mount it, that way, only the material will scrape the ground, not the fasteners. I'll post some pics as soon as I can mount it.

DV
Mk4 #7368, June 26, 2011 delivery, Complete kit, IRS 3.08, 460 with CJ heads, TKO-600, flush mount e-brake on tunnel, shaker hood scoop, hidden hood/trunk latches..., 17's with Nitto 555s. Completed, and titled July 2014!!
Pedalmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Duplicolor bedliner ....

Not a spray-on, but works very well.

Took my roadster out yesterday ... and rolled it over

HTH

Lynn
FFR 7591 Anniversary Edition (#10 of 15)
Delivered: Sept '11,
1st Start & Go-Cart: April 2013,
Painted: November '13,
Completed, Licensed & Insured: March '14

Womens 427 Build Team Special Award - 2014 Huntington Beach Cruise In

1st start video (23 April 2013):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWplyizzPC4

1st go-cart video (24 April 2013): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3IZc1qgZcM
lynnhowlyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am thinking of using Herculiiner on the underside of our body. What steps should I take to prep it berfore application? Also, what about the areas of the body above the tires? Have any of you applied a barrier of some type to protect against rocks being thrown up and causing checks in the finish of the top side?
haroldd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldd1963 View Post
I am thinking of using Herculiiner on the underside of our body. What steps should I take to prep it berfore application? Also, what about the areas of the body above the tires? Have any of you applied a barrier of some type to protect against rocks being thrown up and causing checks in the finish of the top side?
Herculiner or one of the other truck bed liner products works very well for this purpose. Typically a single coat all over the underside of the body, and multiple coats (3-4-5?) in the wheel wells. Many, myself included, also do the exposed side of the splash guards (elephant ears) with the same material. This will get the job done.
Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Start: 10/31/2009. New build. 306, AFR 165s, QF SS-650 carb, T5z, PB, Gas-N pipes. Red/white club, legal 09/28/2011.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Deliv: 09/09/2012. New build. Levy 5-link, Wilwood brakes, PS, DART 347 stroker, AFR heads, QF SS-750 carb, TKO600. First start: 02/22/2014. Go-kart: 04/06/2014. Color? Stay tuned. Build thread: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ss-update.html
edwardb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
I see POR 15 is now making a undercoating that may be worth a try as their paint is some of the best metal paint around
My Garage
UrQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement