Gluing Carpet??? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Gluing Carpet???

Anyone use silicone adhesive like RTV to install carpet? Working on a project(not ff5 car) where spray adhesive won't work ...need time to adjust and go around things....any thoughts, looked at Henry 663 bow it's to cold to set....garage is 55 degrees. Has anyone tried Henry 263?
Jon
Saltshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just used a general tile adhesive.gave me the time I needed and wasn't messy. Not really bad for removal either!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

I used silicone on the bottom most parts of the floor carpet because I used silicone to seal some of the sheet metal to the round tubes and contact cement would not adhere to it. The silicone worked just fine.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Snake Farmer

Garage
I used black silicone between the carpet and the insulation material..3 years and all is well.
Hint- Black silicone is less likely to show if you get a little sloppy..lol
AC Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
I used black silicone between the carpet and the insulation material..3 years and all is well.
Hint- Black silicone is less likely to show if you get a little sloppy..lol
A timely thread as my new (brown) carpet arrived and I am getting ready to install the insulation and carpet. I had always assumed that you just use the spray adhesive for both. Is there an advantage to using silicone and would you use it on the vertical surfaces as well or just the floor?

FFR Mark IV 7411 Picked up 04/08/11
3-link, SN95 spindles, rear discs
Engine: 302-385hp, T-5, 3.08
First go-cart 08/31/11
Body remounted 10/03/11
Registered as unplated 21/03/12
On the road in gel-coat 27/03/12
Graduation May, 2013

"Badges, Badges? We don't need no stinkin' Badges!"
PaulW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Husband/Father/Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltshaker View Post
Anyone use silicone adhesive like RTV to install carpet? Working on a project(not ff5 car) where spray adhesive won't work ...need time to adjust and go around things....any thoughts, looked at Henry 663 bow it's to cold to set....garage is 55 degrees. Has anyone tried Henry 263?
Jon
Listen to MrMustang you must, yyyyyeeeessssss hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'

3M™ Repositionable Spray Adhesive 75

Now go and find a heated area that you can get warmed up to a minimum of 60 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yodastates.jpg (23.9 KB, 235 views)

mrmustang is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Silicone

Anyone else had success using Silicone? What brand, how was it applyed ??
Jon
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

I used the 3M high strength spray for a majority of the carpet. In some of the tighter places or vertical locations I used clear silicone. It is still holding after 1 year and a track day... Good luck
jrflyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member

Why??

Quote:
.....spray adhesive won't work ...jon
Why do you think spray won't work? A little more detail, or pictures might help.

Have you considered Urethane spray? It comes out of the nozzle in more of a stream than a spray and can be directed to small spaces a little easier, and is workable for a few minutes. I got mine at an upholstery supply store (can has a full yellow paper label).

If over spay is the problem, use masking.

I use quite a bit of E-6000 Silicone on my tops. It works OK but skins over in about five minutes and is a pain to apply in hard to reach spaces but it will glue almost anything to almost anything else, I get it at my local ACE in a hand squeeze tube...and it is smelly.

I also use 3M Super 77 spray, works good as well, with five to ten minute work time.

Regards, Rick.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
CRZN 427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

This is a not a factory 5 project where the carpet needs to be slid under a lip or behind the down bar which is within a inch of the body.need working time so the carpet can be moved and adjusted.
Jon
Old 03-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Weldwood gel contact cement
Howff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Snake Farmer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
Is there an advantage to using silicone and would you use it on the vertical surfaces as well or just the floor?
I used an "automotive" silicone (not RTV though), on all vertical carpets, with no issue of slippage. Once in place, I applied pressure (by hand), to the carpet to help the silicone under it to spread. This created a good firm adhesion.
Advantage in using silicone was the allowable working time, and the ease of slipping the carpet up against other pieces of carpet, to make nice tight seams.

Place a bead at the edges of each carpet piece, as well as several X beads in the middle area.

Another tip - spray some flat black paint at all the seam points of the carpet, prior to gluing it in, on the insulation. This will prevent any silver insulation from showing through at the seams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3031.jpg (256.6 KB, 45 views)
AC Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member

Another view

Quote:
This is a not a factory 5 project where the carpet needs to be slid under a lip or behind the down bar which is within a inch of the body.need working time so the carpet can be moved and adjusted.
Jon
If there were more info a more detailed response could be offered, but...

I know from your first post that it isn't an FFR project.

In cases where the carpet has to go under a lip, I would likely apply the glue up to that area and not under the lip at all. If it is secured up to the point it goes under something, and is under something, it isn't going anywhere and will make future replacement much easier.

If you are concerned about weather proofing with the carpet adhesive, do that as an independent activity and then put the carpet under the lip.

As for around down bars, after the carpet is fitted is there enough room to pull the section that is behind the obstruction and apply a dab of glue, or tape, to the under side? If it is behind something will it be visible? If not visible will it really need to be attached in that small area?

Just some random thoughts again.

Regards, Rick.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
CRZN 427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement