Manual Clutch cable - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Manual Clutch cable

Well it's been awhile. No major problems until recently. Where the clutch cable connects to the firewall, it keeps coming disconnected, leaving the cable slack and ineffective. Since it's still all connected, any ideas on how to re-secure it to the firewall without tearing everything apart?
Babe Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Student

What do you mean "disconnected"? If your clutch is adjusted right it shouldn't come disconnected unless it's out of adjustment (too loose) and the cable comes off the clutch quadrant or the cable breaks. Here is how my MK3 is put together. How is yours different?

FFR #7018, IRS pin drive, 5.0/T5
FFR #7228, under construction
MK3 Build pics - Graduation - August 2011 POM - First Ride of 2012 - 2012 UCC Summer Cruise
Doug Meldrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe Ruth View Post
Well it's been awhile. No major problems until recently. Where the clutch cable connects to the firewall, it keeps coming disconnected, leaving the cable slack and ineffective. Since it's still all connected, any ideas on how to re-secure it to the firewall without tearing everything apart?
A picture is definitely in order here.
First Start 11/18/2011
Go Kart 11/24/2011
Registered and on the Road 8/11/2012
Painted Winter-2012 at Metalmorphous
Awaiting graduation pics to make it official!
My Build Project Website
mirose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cool mechanical clutch cable

I don't have that knurled knob mounting bracket. That stock single point attachment bracket that's fixed to the plastic housing of the cable is what I bolted to the firewall. Sorry no pics, I'm forever on the road.

Babe Ruth
Babe Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Student

How do you adjust your clutch then? I've never seen it any way but how it shows in the pic. If your missing parts, cl FFR or I'm sure the auto parts store would have them. I've seen it at summit as well.
MK3 Build pics - Graduation - August 2011 POM - First Ride of 2012 - 2012 UCC Summer Cruise
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Meldrum View Post
I tought that you are supposed to remove the black rubber spacer on the clutch cable if you have a firewall adjuster
MKIII 4281 Non Donor Build|LevyRacing 5-Link Rear Suspension|LevyRacing Koni Double-Adjustable Shocks|LevyRacing 13″ 6-Piston Wilwood High-Clearance Front Brake Kit|LevyRacing 12.2″ Live Axle Rear Street Brake Kit|SBF 302 bored and stroked build by Borowski's race 500HP|TKO-500|FFR Vintage Halibrand Replica Wheels, 17″ x 9″ Front and 17″ x 10.5″ Rear|ISIS Intelligent Multiplex wiring System, inDASH MAX module, InLINK RF control module|Alex's standard Glove Box|Casey Design Modular dash
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Student

Nope, it stays. If you don't use it the rubber piece the cable is too long. I'm not sure how you put yours together but it sounds like you didn't install the firewall clutch cable adjuster but you used the rubber spacer in your build. If that is the case, how did you adjust your clutch? I guess the bottom line is, if you didn't build yours like the picture shows, rebuild it like that and your problems will go away.
It sounds like you ordered the complete kit from FFR. If so, you should have received the adjuster. Call them if you didn't get it and have them send it to you, then put it in. It's a pretty simple job to do. Your firewall/aluminum should be pre-drilled so installing it isn't bad if you can get to the nuts in your foot box. (you did put in an access panel, right?)
If not, it isn't an easy job. One (small) person will have to lay on their back in the foot box to hold the nuts while the other is above doing an acrobatic move to reach back and tighten the bolts.
Good Luck
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Nope, it stays. If you don't use it the rubber piece the cable is too long.

I am not ragging on you I am at that point and I just looking for the right answer, I just don't want to do it twice but every picture I have seen and on every thread I found says that you are supposed to removed it if you are using a firewall adjuster,

I just spent a hour searching and found the same thing
MKIII 4281 Non Donor Build|LevyRacing 5-Link Rear Suspension|LevyRacing Koni Double-Adjustable Shocks|LevyRacing 13″ 6-Piston Wilwood High-Clearance Front Brake Kit|LevyRacing 12.2″ Live Axle Rear Street Brake Kit|SBF 302 bored and stroked build by Borowski's race 500HP|TKO-500|FFR Vintage Halibrand Replica Wheels, 17″ x 9″ Front and 17″ x 10.5″ Rear|ISIS Intelligent Multiplex wiring System, inDASH MAX module, InLINK RF control module|Alex's standard Glove Box|Casey Design Modular dash
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Nope, it stays.
My rubber piece wouldnt fit into the firewall adjuster, so I had to run Fortes clutch cable spacer.
Factory Five MK4 #7593- DOD 9/11/2011
First start - 12/8/2012
Ford 306, Aluminum heads, Cam, Carburated
3 Link, 4 wheel discs, 15" FFR Halibrands
Goodyear Billboards
www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
BlitzAttack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtjackal View Post
I am not ragging on you I am at that point and I just looking for the right answer, I just don't want to do it twice but every picture I have seen and on every thread I found says that you are supposed to removed it if you are using a firewall adjuster,

I just spent a hour searching and found the same thing
OK, Understood. I guess whatever makes it work is the way you should do it.
Maybe this post will help. It shows my frustration with the way it was originally set up and what worked for me. Note in post 15, I took the black spacer to my grinder and ground about half of the rubber off to make it fit. It was cheaper than Fortes spacer.

clutch cable question
Old 09-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
OK, Understood. I guess whatever makes it work is the way you should do it.
Maybe this post will help. It shows my frustration with the way it was originally set up and what worked for me. Note in post 15, I took the black spacer to my grinder and ground about half of the rubber off to make it fit. It was cheaper than Fortes spacer.

clutch cable question
Aww gotcha I didnt see that, but wish I did way earlier!
Factory Five MK4 #7593- DOD 9/11/2011
First start - 12/8/2012
Ford 306, Aluminum heads, Cam, Carburated
3 Link, 4 wheel discs, 15" FFR Halibrands
Goodyear Billboards
www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
BlitzAttack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement