Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Need carpet / heel pad advice

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  AC Bill 
#1 ·
Getting close to installing my carpet and thinking about the location of heel pads. I stole this picture from the forum (sorry NuBlue). Definitely want a (smaller) pad beside the go pedal and on the lower part of the floor as shown. Also thinking about a strip near the edge as outlined in red. Is this a high wear area? It's been a while since my car was on the road and I can't remember if I sometimes rested my foot there.

Also, any advice on gluing the pads on? I have this vision of coating the bottom of the pad with adhesive and clamping it between 2 boards as the glue squirts out on my new carpet. How do you do it?

See less See more
#8 ·
That was actually the first place I noticed some carpet wear. I added a rub strip along the bottom of the footbox extension mod. That is where the side of my shoe rests, as the upper toe part sits on my dead pedal. Added a throttle pedal rub strip too.

The optional FFR floor mats fit and wear extremely well. They protect the original carpeting. They also protect the area that is highlighted in red, although that area has not yet shown any signs of excessive wear.
I also added some Dynamat under the foot box carpet, to cushion it, as well as act as a sound deadener.

#5 ·
This is what I used. A local upholstery shop sewed them in for me. I don't think I would try glue.

Jeff

#7 ·
One real problem that I had in the footbox was that my heel wore out floor mats pretty quickly. I attribute that to the soft aluminum floor. I now use aluminum diamond plate as above, but I painted mine with bedliner.

Anyway, you might want to think about some stiffener under the carpet. I think it could make your carpet last longer. Also, you might want to buy a couple spare pads. If my record is representative, you'll need them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.