installing a hydraulic clutch - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

installing a hydraulic clutch

I have been reading the threads about installing a hydraulic clutch. I would like to see some pics how the the clutch pedal connect to the hydraulic mechanism. Also, where can one get the adapter plate for the the slave cylinder to attach to the transmission?
old crows gather hear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you are using the Wilwood pedal assembly as supplied by FFR, you simply add a clutch slave to the pedal assembly. You should have received everything necessary with the pedal assembly,except the master cylinder. The clutch master connects to the clutch with a 3/16" line. The slave is usually about 7/8"diameter and the master will be approximately the same. Fortes Parts makes the transmission bracket and can provide the master as well as the slave. Depending on the clutch you are using, the pedal feel may be too light if using a 7/8" master. I went to a 1" master to provide more pedal feel. You will also need to cut an access door in the drivers foot box top for maintenance. Here's a photo of the master cylinders and the access door.

Last edited by J Persons; 12-18-2011 at 09:06 PM..
J Persons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

I just purchased a complete kit from Forte for $350 or thereabouts. They said it has everything needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old crows gather hear View Post
I have been reading the threads about installing a hydraulic clutch. I would like to see some pics how the the clutch pedal connect to the hydraulic mechanism. Also, where can one get the adapter plate for the the slave cylinder to attach to the transmission?
CA_PI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Garage
Icon21 i modified mine above and below at the tranny

J's pic shows the M/C area the plastic pic-ups can be an issue with leaking so make sure you install them and check for leaks prior to covering them up where they become an issue on accessablity
i moved my fuse panel to the passenger side to make more room added to the harness length for the front harness, easier access will be your best friend in this area, it becomes very tight for space and when you go and put the windscreen on you will be making everyones ears' ring

but if it wasn't an adventure we wouldn't be here
HTH

MK3.1 #6945 her name is Buffy
p/u 04/04/09 roller 08/27/09
start-up Pearl Harbor Day 12/07/10
go-cart Memorial Day 2011
body on 11/11/11 Veterans Day
all legal except paint 02/12/12
372w handbuilt
BigLeo69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
We know what you're up to
FFCars Captain

This is what I did...
Slave cylinder bracket
Don Payne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Speed-crazed and Confused
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Forte's

FFR 6459
Complete kit, IRS, Pin Drive, 408W, Tremec TKO-500, ISIS Power management, PS, hydroboost brakes, paint by Whitby's. ISIS serial # 001, 002 and 003.

Have bled a lot since she arrived....and currently hemorrhaging....but the friends I am meeting along the way sure make up for it.

Graduation Post
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthr...=graduate+6459
Build Pictures
http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k...bra%20Project/
akdreamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
We know what you're up to
FFCars Captain

Dan, I never really noticed it before, but I'll bet that aluminum fork setup from Forte has a really nice and short throw. Seems like it could disengage the clutch effectively without a lot of pedal travel. Is that what you have experienced with it?
Don Payne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you are using a T-5 tranny you can get this kit from Autoworks International at Autoworks International for about $300.00
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch_kit2.jpg (34.4 KB, 138 views)
PNJSNAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Hi Don,
I think the slave is a 7/8" bore and the master is 15/16". It completely disengages with about 1/3 to 1/2 of the possible pedal throw with great modulation.

FFR 6459
Complete kit, IRS, Pin Drive, 408W, Tremec TKO-500, ISIS Power management, PS, hydroboost brakes, paint by Whitby's. ISIS serial # 001, 002 and 003.

Have bled a lot since she arrived....and currently hemorrhaging....but the friends I am meeting along the way sure make up for it.

Graduation Post
Build Pictures
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNJSNAK View Post
If you are using a T-5 tranny you can get this kit from Autoworks International at Autoworks International for about $300.00
Jim
yep i have seen them they adapt for the early mustangs
and the return spring which is what i did on mine

372w handbuilt
Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNJSNAK View Post
Jim
I have that exact kit on my T-5 and 5.0 bellhousing, it works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did my own custom master up top with the Fox pedals and a replacement quardrant. Fully adjustable, like driving a Toyoat, used a SPEC clutch
FFR5148K MkII Roadster, MCRP 331 CI 415 HP w/ carb, 3-link, disc brakes, Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
Chepsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Dan, I just finished installing Mike's Forte's hydraulics also but looking at yours I had visions of my wife's MG with the bleeder on the bottom, those silly British.
David

FFR#6930
Picked up 04/04/09 - giggity giggity
Ford Crate 302 FRPP "Z" heads, E-Curve MSD dist.
PowerJection III
TKO600 w/mid-shift & hyd. clutch, Thanks Mike Forte.
358hp / 360ft-lb torque, Thanks to Jesse at Forte's.
davidct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thumbs up Forte's External Slave

Hi Guys,
The picture attached has the feed on the top and bleeder on the bottom. As we all know the bleeder needs to be on the top for the air to escape out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdreamer23 View Post
Forte's

Framingham, Mass. 01702
mikeforte302@gmail.com
508 875 0016
www.fortesparts.com
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?v=info&ref=ts
The Early Ford & FE Tremec were also originals from Mike. The Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kit also is an original from Mike. His latest developments are external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions too.
Tremec Elite Distributor for: T-5, T-56, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600
TKO-500 & TKO-600 Midshifter, Front shifter, offset Corvette shifter and more...
A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge....
Est: 1981 selling & building performance parts to build your dream car...
FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR. NEW 5 LUG AXLES & BRAKE KITS & NEW 8.8\" REAREND IN BOTH IRS & FOX AXLE.
Mike Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Yes, Mike,

I did change them before I filled it

FFR 6459

Graduation Post
Build Pictures
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior
FFCars Master Craftsman

Also have Mike's setup. Works great with the Quicktime Bellhousing and a Quartermaster clutch. Also have the Wilwood pedals and masters. And yes, by all means make the pedal box cover removable. I did mine with rivet nuts.
Build pics below:
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/03SC/
03SC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
FFR 7469

Timely thread as I have been working several hours trying to get my Forte hydraulic clutch working this weekend.

The end result seems to be that the clutch arm is not moving enough to engage the clutch and then when it does move after I get the system fully bleed (or close to it) wamo, the slave cylinder splats or empty's out all the fluid because the cylinder in the slave moves out to far.

I can't quite figure out what the problem is as I have adjusted the foot pedal and the piston on the slave cylinder 4 or 5 times now. Everyday that I wake up I get on this forum and read all the thorough documentation on this subject. I will be calling Mike today at 10AM and I hope I am his first customer in line as I really want to get this completed and put behind me...
forte hydro clutch.jpg

blowout.jpg

cnc res.jpg

blowout 2.jpg

arm back.jpg

My setup
T5z
QT bellhousing
cobra clutch (Valeo)
F5 Willwood pedal box
1" Willwood Master Cylinder
7/8" CNC Slave
CNC Reservoirs
1 dumb guy behind the wheel trying to get this to work.

p.s. I know I should probably start a new thread on this and I will later on today if Mike and I cannot resolve my problem over the phone.

p.s.s the following thread is extremely helpful. Hydraulic clutch issue
PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Non-whiner

I have a very unique set up with a 427w, short input shaft tko600, Quicktime toploader bellhousing, and FE style fork (required set up for my cobra). Mike put together the right parts for my set up and it works perfectly (well, now that I actually bled it correctly).

FFR coupe #190 SOLD
RCR GT40 SOLD to Fast and Furious 5 producer
Kirkham #690 (289 FIA) w/427w and TKO 600
1966 GT350 clone w/Boss 347 and TKO 600
1966 Bronco w/289 and 3 speed
1967 Mustang convertible rust bucket (soon to be GT350 clone)

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Unknown
Mark Reid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
Timely thread as I have been working several hours trying to get my Forte hydraulic clutch working this weekend.

The end result seems to be that the clutch arm is not moving enough to engage the clutch and then when it does move after I get the system fully bleed (or close to it) wamo, the slave cylinder splats or empty's out all the fluid because the cylinder in the slave moves out to far.

I can't quite figure out what the problem is as I have adjusted the foot pedal and the piston on the slave cylinder 4 or 5 times now. Everyday that I wake up I get on this forum and read all the thorough documentation on this subject. I will be calling Mike today at 10AM and I hope I am his first customer in line as I really want to get this completed and put behind me...
Attachment 28722

Attachment 28723

Attachment 28724

Attachment 28725

Attachment 28726

My setup
T5z
QT bellhousing
cobra clutch (Valeo)
F5 Willwood pedal box
7/8" CNC Slave
CNC Reservoirs

p.s. I know I should probably start a new thread on this and I will later on today if Mike and I cannot resolve my problem over the phone.

Adjust the slave push rod so the throwout bearing is touching the pressure plate diaphragm. If the slave is overextending, you will need to fabricate a pedal stop to prevent the over extension.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Non-whiner

Phoneguy, you overextended the slave and it looks like the piston and seal are pushed out of the bore. This is a huge problem and unless you can rebuild the slave, you need to replace it. Fix that and then adjust as John says above. The slave should only need to move about an inch.
FFR coupe #190 SOLD
RCR GT40 SOLD to Fast and Furious 5 producer
Kirkham #690 (289 FIA) w/427w and TKO 600
1966 GT350 clone w/Boss 347 and TKO 600
1966 Bronco w/289 and 3 speed
1967 Mustang convertible rust bucket (soon to be GT350 clone)

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Unknown
Mark Reid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

Clutch

Make sure the piston on the slave cylinder is pushed in as far as it will go before you attach it to the fork. In your first picture, it looks like the rod is extended, and with no hose connected, at rest. The kit I recieved had two different length spindles for this. It was probably the 7th or 8th time of bleeding the cylinder before I got everything adjusted the way I thought it should be.
Mike Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Garage
Icon21

now we have a whole different bracket for the Push slave? Phoneguy
looks to me too far away and why is the bracket so big, seems like a lot of metal in the way for nothing behind the slave bracket.
there are other length rams for the slave too, the alignment looks off on the fork too.
i sent you a PM
HTH

372w handbuilt
Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Captain

My Small Block set-up uses the Ford Bellhousing and fork, so the ratios stayed the same.

When I bled the system, I both bled at the slave, and cracked the line up on the master, so tried to get the air out on both ends. It is a PIA, and the process takes longer, but once done, you never have to open the system again, as you simply remove the slave assy from the bellhousing before removing anything.
FFR5148K MkII Roadster, MCRP 331 CI 415 HP w/ carb, 3-link, disc brakes, Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
Chepsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
FFR 7469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smoker View Post
Make sure the piston on the slave cylinder is pushed in as far as it will go before you attach it to the fork. In your first picture, it looks like the rod is extended, and with no hose connected, at rest. The kit I recieved had two different length spindles for this. It was probably the 7th or 8th time of bleeding the cylinder before I got everything adjusted the way I thought it should be.
Mike - Yes, I have the slave cylinder pushed in all the way. I only received 1 length spindle and it is funny that you bring this up because I was wondering if the spindle was long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLeo69 View Post
now we have a whole different bracket for the Push slave? Phoneguy
looks to me too far away and why is the bracket so big, seems like a lot of metal in the way for nothing behind the slave bracket.
there are other length rams for the slave too, the alignment looks off on the fork too.
i sent you a PM
HTH
Big Leo, I read your PM thanks for the info, I will read through your profile pictures when I return from the store. Need more brake fluid - I have already used up quarts (big bottles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepsk8 View Post
My Small Block set-up uses the Ford Bellhousing and fork, so the ratios stayed the same.

When I bled the system, I both bled at the slave, and cracked the line up on the master, so tried to get the air out on both ends. It is a PIA, and the process takes longer, but once done, you never have to open the system again, as you simply remove the slave assy from the bellhousing before removing anything.
Cheepsk8 - I agree this is a PIA and when I get this thing working a celebration will be had at the Russel house. I will try your bleeding method upon my return.

Update - I have taken the whole assembly apart and cleaned out all the fluid. Put back everything with clean tight (not to tight) connections with plumber paste just to ensure no leaks. Also, one other part of my setup that I didn't mention was that I have the CNC air bleeder as well. Took me 3 different type of pumps that work at 4lb's but got that to work on the last go around as well. So maybe with all the above input and help, the 3rd time will be the charm. Although I will say that I talked to Mike Forte and he thinks there is an issue with the pressure plate and flywheel. He says that this is an issue he is working with Valeo on. My hope is that this is not the case as I don't feel like pulling all that apart as I will probably have to pull the engine. Personally, I think the piston rod in the slave cylinder is too short - but I am no expert at this setup.
slave assembly.jpg

- Cheers and thanks for your help and input.

Bob
Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

A couple of things to check:

1) make sure your slave pushrod is pushed all the way back before you - edit - I see that you have already addressed this

2) try to measure how much throw you have. I had my wife depress the clutch while I layed under the car with a measuring tape. I found that my pressure plate (exedy) was bad and needed something like 2" of travel which just wasn't going to happen. New pressure plate, all problems went away

3) double check your pivot height. by setting it a little further out you can gain some additional clutch travel. I used the Lakewood adjustable clutch pivot to do this.

4) adjust the fork so that when at rest the throwout bearing is touching the pressure plate tynes (sp?). I am told that Ford designed this system such that the bearing should always be spinning. As someone else noted, it looks like your pushrod might be too far back at rest Speedway sells a longer version for that slave and I bought one that I am not going to use so send me a PM if you would like it.

My biggest problem turned out to be the warped pressure plate. I think it might have gotten screwed up when the engine shop welded a weight on for balance but I must say that the sucker was far too stiff anyway and it needed far too much throw to disengage. Changing out to a new clutch immediately solved my problem but I hope yours is simply one of the adjustments above.

HTH
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post

Attachment 28722

Attachment 28723

Attachment 28724

Attachment 28725

Attachment 28726

My setup
T5z
QT bellhousing
cobra clutch (Valeo)
F5 Willwood pedal box
7/8" CNC Slave
CNC Reservoirs

Last edited by tjmotter; 01-02-2012 at 04:39 PM..
tjmotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
FFR 7469

Update:

After reassembly and a nice clean bleeding, (I called Mike to verify I was bleeding correctly) I put the tranny in gear, pushed on the clutch and tried to turn the driveshaft and the thing wouldn't turn. I also adjusted the pedal height to 9 & 3/8" and I am thoroughly convinced that I need a longer pushrod on the slave cylinder. I called Mike and he is going to ship me a new rod.
When I put the slave back together, I unscrewed the pushrod as much as possible to give it more length and to get rid of the cylinder blowout. This worked as I didn't blow out the piston but the clutch arm only moves about 3/4". A longer pushrod is needed in my opinion. We shall see once the new longer shows up.
I even recruited a helper (my wife) and here is a measurement of the pedal. I want to put the pedal back to 8 & 3/4" if possible, but that doesn't bother me as much as not getting the clutch to engage.
Patty helping
patty help.jpg
new pedal measurement
9 inch measurement.jpg
clean re-assembly
clean retry.jpg
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Garage
Icon21

air bleed is very important if you think you got it all by hand you probably need a pressure bleeder.
a tip would be put your tires on prop the back up fire it up and the clutch shouldn't be engaging tire should have no movement if any it can be stopped by hand in neutral of course and clutch engaged. another tip shift from 5th to reverse this will give you better engagemnet to reverse, there should be no grinding when engine is running and you go from 5th to reverse. HTH

make sure the TO is installed correctly
make sure clutch fork is installed correctly on TO

you will be climbing out and from under the car many times for adjustment so eat your Wheaties. also this will make you speak words only sailors know

HTH
good job Patty

372w handbuilt
Old 01-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #27 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing. I went to the next size larger master cylinder which pushed a greater volume of fluid thus pushing the rod on the slave cylinder further. Works great now.
jimstephens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

clutch

Just for fun, if you have some longer bolts (1/4-20) and some washers, you could move the fork mount closer to the slave cylinder and see if that engages the clutch. My bellows was a lot more collapsed than yours is. To be honost, I sure am glad I got the aluminum mount instead of the mount Fortes is selling now. I went through 3 master cylinder changes and the spindle changes, and all the adjustment changes before I was happy with the clutch. We have similar set ups except I have the aluminum bellhousing and a 3550 trans.

Good luck, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0229.jpg (215.4 KB, 86 views)
Mike Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement