Front tow hook on mkIV ??? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Albany ny

Front tow hook on mkIV ???

Any recommendations on a front tow hook for the mkiv. The challenge series uses a hook that is bolted to the cross brace that goes between the shock towers. Now that the cross brace is round tube I dont think it will work, I dont want the tow hook comming out the hood anyway, if I can help it. Any pics would really help too. Thanks
Mark 4 kit #7226 IRS pindrive FRPP 392 carbed TKO-600rr midshift. Picked up april 10, 2010 First start and go-cart 9/26/10. Registered june 8 2011.
kevin12973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin12973 View Post
Any recommendations on a front tow hook for the mkiv. The challenge series uses a hook that is bolted to the cross brace that goes between the shock towers. Now that the cross brace is round tube I dont think it will work, I dont want the tow hook comming out the hood anyway, if I can help it. Any pics would really help too. Thanks
Kevin:

There really is not much to use forward of the front of the 4 inch tubes. If you are planning on racing the car the top mounted tow hook would work, but you will have to make your own to fit the round tube or the top of the shock mount structure. If you are just thinking about getting home from the road, then get a tow truck that holds the front wheels off the ground and they put the rear wheels on a dolly with bogey wheels. I don't think there is really a good place to hook a cable to pull the car onto a rollback without taking most of the front fiberglass and shredding it.

Ron
FFR Challenge car #4182SP Carbed 302, Holley 600CFM, E303 cam, T5, 3 link rear-3:55, Levy wheels, Kumho tires, Fire Safe fuel cell, Griffin race radiator, ISIS wiring system, MSD 6ALN NASCAR ignition, 85 Mustang distributor,
ROADRACER83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Albany ny

I am interested in the tow hook for two reasons- track days and for looks, I like the track look.
Mark 4 kit #7226 IRS pindrive FRPP 392 carbed TKO-600rr midshift. Picked up april 10, 2010 First start and go-cart 9/26/10. Registered june 8 2011.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Captain

When mine was pulled back to the pits, we used a long rope, a few loops around the roll bar, and I held it with my hand.

But, Ron's advice is correct. Our cars are so low in front, any tow hook would have to come from the frame and up.
FFR5148K MkII Roadster, MCRP 331 CI 415 HP w/ carb, 3-link, disc brakes, Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
Chepsk8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

I am still in the waiting/planning, so I can not go look at a car, but wondering - the round tubes are open, correct? if so, could you make something that fits in each tube, has a bolt & cotter pin to hold in place...these tubes would come forward past the front end and then have a structure in front (either just connecting them or connecting them and going up higher) where you could attach a tow hook/strap.

Am I crazy? It would not have to be super heavy duty or anything since the car is so light. Am talking something to allow it to be pulled on to a flatbed or pulled back to the pits by a tow strap.

Planning a mid-life Cobra, not a mid-life crisis
KC Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Wildcat View Post
I am still in the waiting/planning, so I can not go look at a car, but wondering - the round tubes are open, correct? if so, could you make something that fits in each tube, has a bolt & cotter pin to hold in place...these tubes would come forward past the front end and then have a structure in front (either just connecting them or connecting them and going up higher) where you could attach a tow hook/strap.

Am I crazy? It would not have to be super heavy duty or anything since the car is so light. Am talking something to allow it to be pulled on to a flatbed or pulled back to the pits by a tow strap.
Rich:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the tubes are closed. There is a plate welded on the front that locates the lower control arm front bushing and the steering rack bushings. In front of that, there is some thin wall 3/4 inch square steel tube that locates the radiator and the front of the body. That tube is just that: a locating frame. It has no side to side support and could be bent very easily. I have a Challenge car and before I decided to make it a mostly street and a little use as a track day car, I thought seriously about upgrading that frame work to beef it up and triangulate it so it would could have a secondary use as a tow and jack point. When you get your car, there is a plate welded on the front of the frame tubes that you might use to tie some kind of a tow mechanism to. The front fiberglass is so low in the front that unless you can pull low and parallel to the ground the body is going to take a beating.

On the FFR site there are some pictures of the new Mk IV frame and body. You'll see the problem. It's not an insurmountable problem, but not easy to do.

Mk4 Roadster

Ron
FFR Challenge car #4182SP Carbed 302, Holley 600CFM, E303 cam, T5, 3 link rear-3:55, Levy wheels, Kumho tires, Fire Safe fuel cell, Griffin race radiator, ISIS wiring system, MSD 6ALN NASCAR ignition, 85 Mustang distributor,
ROADRACER83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

That is cool Ron, thanks for the info. I am not looking to do this, just wondering out loud about a solution for the poster. I kind of figured it probably the kind of thing you need to play with on the car.

Let me toss out something else. Is it easy/realistic to remove the hood (undo or unbolt the hood hinge and then be able to connect something to the X member that sticks up. I imagine that depends on the individual build - engine and what all you have going on around the X member.

So Kevin, there are a couple ideas to investigate. There seems to be no simple solution, but some compromises you could make to give you that capability.

Planning a mid-life Cobra, not a mid-life crisis
KC Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
So here is what I use, mine is a challenge car and I run in SCCA and ICSCC and there is no issue with being towed from these hooks, the fiberglass is not an issue as my front spoiler protects that. I may have to change this over the winter though as we are upgrading the frontend and will be running a front sway bar and that may cause issues with where I have the hooks now.

My Garage
UrQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Albany ny

My inspiration

This is a FIA cobra at the Lime rock historics. I would like this kind of arrangement if possible. UrQ, If I could do like you have done and extend out some more I would be pleased with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0080.jpg (251.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin12973 View Post
This is a FIA cobra at the Lime rock historics. I would like this kind of arrangement if possible. UrQ, If I could do like you have done and extend out some more I would be pleased with that.
I like that, and I may have to do that when I install the front sway bar this winter, do you have any pics on how that was attached to frame?
My Garage
UrQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Albany ny

No better pics than this one. Looked like 1/2" bar triangulated to the frame rails then 2 more from the hook going back and up to the upper quick jack frame structure(if you can call it that). You should have seen that old lady drive the balls off that little cobra.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0083.jpg (238.5 KB, 47 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement