Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Bad Door Latch!

4K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  rapistanxxx 
#1 ·
Went to open the drivers door and latch would not work.:confused: The picture below shows why! Anyone else experience this problem? FFR door latches. I will be contacting FFR tomorrow.

Rocky

See less See more
#3 ·
Door Latch

Rocky,
I found a door latch repair on Wades build site ( give credit where credit is due!). I copied it since this seemed to be consistent problem. It is too big to attach so I will send a PM.
Hope this helps.
Glen

#5 ·
It's a common problem. I had one brake a couple of weeks ago. They are pretty easy to fix. I think I am going to pry my other one off and fit it to so I don't have to worry about it breaking at the wrong time.

A few years ago I ran across a thread where a guy showed how to fix them. I don't know where the thread was but I copied the pictures. You grind down the lip on the internal round piece until it's just flush with the square edge. Right were your lever came off. You then use a carriage bolt or step bolt from the back side and put a washer on the front with a nyloc nut. Depending on what car you have you may need to drill a hole in the door for the round head of the carriage bolt so the latch will set flush. The hole will cover up when the latch in back on. The fix makes the latch far stonger than without it.

PM me with your email if you want me to send you the pictures.

Wayne

#15 ·
This is so common, it should be in the build manual.

It's a right of passage as roadster owner. Congratulations, you are one of us. :)

#9 ·
just another one of the British designs that American ingenuity figured out a way to improve it! (Just use stainless steel bolt and nut as mine have been know to get wet!! I think cause I drive in the rain. :001_rolleyes: )

#10 ·
And Again ...

I have not finished my build yet (MK-II, started in 2001) and had the lever fall off one of the latches yesterday. I recall that I had the same problem on my old LAE back in '95 and did the same fix now that I did then.

I took a 3/8-16 tap and cut threads in the square hole of the round pivot block. Surprisingly the threads cut into the square inside quite well. I had to hold the block in a vise while cutting the threads. On the second one, the lever was still in place and held the block while cutting the threads.

I took a 3/8-16 bolt, cut it short enough that it was just flush on the back side of the latch.

Put a washer on the front to keep the latch lever on the square boss.

Tighten the bolt enough to allow the pivot to move freely.

On final assembly I used some wheel bearing grease (it was handy, and stays in place well) on the pivot (and the washer, hopefully, will keep the washer from wearing a groove in the spring as well).

Regards, Rick.

#12 ·
When I was building our Roadster I saw the mod post and did it to our latches before I even installed them!

Didn't want the the handle breaking at a show or in front of friends for them to rib me about it!

Preventive strike, that's what it's all about! LOL

Mark

#13 ·
Just fixed one of mine a few weeks ago and it was a piece of cake to fix using the above concept.

#14 ·
Yep, Carriage Bolt and then some tread sealer or caulk on the little screws as the doors latches take a trashing from all the in and out. Easy fix.

Rocky, the door latch is the perfect owner introduction to Chapter 1 of Homebuilt Car Maintenance Issues, soon followed by valve cover bolts, ride height, water leaks, air leaks, steering stops, battery access, _________, __________, __________. Our one saving grace is we don't have Lucas electrics......

Perhaps it would be interesting if the .003% of owners who HAVE NOT had this to chime in.

#16 ·
Lubricated mine with lithium grease when I installed them. 22k miles without that issue. I did have the handle portion fall off the lever on the passenger door however. Another common problem. Drilled, tapped, and put a screw in it. That was at about 12k miles if I recall.

#17 ·
Funny, after building the whole car and having it on the road for nearly 10,000 miles the door latch stumped me. Then I say Wade's fix. Took longer to drive up to ACE to pick up the bolt than it did to remove, fix, and re-install the latch. Reminds me why this site is so very valuable (well at least the members are).

Windshield replacement is next on my list :) It really never ends.

Arch

#18 ·
Bad Door Latch

The wade solver is probably just what I need, my latch has not been working for some time. I tried to take it off again today for the second time and all I could do is get the cover loose and then the release lever has slipped inside and just rattles. How does that cover come off? I'm afraid to force it to much. Thanks.

#27 ·
Bad Door Latch

The wade solver is probably just what I need, my latch has not been working for some time. I tried to take it off again today for the second time and all I could do is get the cover loose and then the release lever has slipped inside and just rattles. How does that cover come off? I'm afraid to force it to much. Thanks.
I just had this happen to me after many years, I'm also afraid to force it and break it. How did you get the latch disconnected? Thanks in advance.
Ron

#19 ·
bad door Latch

While you're fooling with the latches you might as well drill and tap the ball on the end of the lever/handle and fit a small screw. It'll probably soon fall off as the ball is just a press fit.

#22 ·
Dennis the only thing holding the cover on is those two small screws, so just use a small screwdriver blade to pry it off. My cover usually just falls off into my hand. You will not hurt the cover. And then you see how "The Wade" will solve that problem with just a carriage bolt/nut/sealant or you can go the bolt/nut in the photos.

You will do both doors, right? Keep a tiny screwdriver as part of your on-road tool kit and you'll be ready to help others who have this problem.

I did "The Wade" about 9 years ago and my only issue is occasionally, the four latch screws to the door will loosen through the sealants.

#23 ·
Thanks, it took some work i guess the outside piece was not wanting to go over the striker or something. It took some work but finally came off. Anyone know how important that spring is???? I don't have the little spring goes at the bottom of the lever.

#24 ·
Dennis, I think you'll need a spring to return the handle to position.
Look around and make sure it didn't fall on the floor etc.
It would not have made any noise during its escape!

Lowes & HD have some assorted springs, perhaps one of those will work with a little cutting and tweaking. Check the walls, the screendoor section and the specialty cabinets. I will bet there is something there that will work.

Shop The Hillman Group 1.25-in x 4.39-in Assorted Springs at Lowes.com

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/008236/008236800968lg.jpg

Phillip

#25 ·
Same here...

Yep... Wades fix is great. I too just went ahead and did the mod before I ever installed them.

#26 ·
Dennis, I missed Richard's post above about leaving off the small spring.
Wanted to make sure you was that also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.