Finished Edge Carpet - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Finished Edge Carpet

To those that have done it, what procedure did you use to finish the edges of the carpet where needed. Just leaving a raw edge just doesn't cut it when we pour so much time, money, and effort into building these dreams.
#7009 Mk 3.1
Ordered May 29, 2009; Arrived Sept.12th, 2009
Engine in Oct. 25th, 2009; Roller in Jan. 2010
First sustained start May 1st, 2010; Gocart May 20th 2010
Body on June 6th, 2010; Driving with body on June 17th, 2010
Inspected, weighed, VIN, and insured July 26, 2010
IMPORTANT: Painted and on road August 2011!!!(302EFI, P&P, fr disc, T5, Pro coil overs, dual roll bars, FFR headers, 3.55 rear, part donor, part new, all fun!
dwleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

you'll want the binding-see Bond Products-their web site-in Philly, PA. I used 54 regular black-one roll will do it but I was having so much fun I think I used two rolls-binding in the trunk too-started playing with it and getting creative on corners and around bolts etc-do some 'tests' first to get used to how you can improve the application-I used a cheap hot glue gun-glue from the back side-don't get sloopy-have lots of glue sticks-it don't take much of a bead-I'd glue 8-10 inches at a time-then move ahead.-used spring clamps or those wooden spring cloths line pins and always had a foot ahead of where I was glueing clamped so everything stayed lined up-then lift the edge of binding and lay a small bead-press it down-clamp-then move forward to the next 8+inches--and clamp what you just glued till the glue cools-remember your working from the back side-not the front-I found out hot glue burns pretty painfully too. hang the roll at the end of the bench to unravel as you merrily glue and cut. alot more fun than bodywork- update- yes that was the instabind that Bond sells and I worked from the front side Not the back-hey that was over 2 years ago! it does look very 'factory' too

Bob

Last edited by bobcat; 06-07-2011 at 02:09 PM..
bobcat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
I took mine to a local auto upholstery shop in San Jose....cost was $250 to sew vinyl black edging on 25 linear feet of edges...so about $10 a foot. I had some cutouts around accel pedal and dead pedal some areas were pretty tricky, original quote was $175 and they called me to ask for an increase.

If I had it to do over again I would not use the FFR carpet if you are going to invest in edging....buy some better stuff, on some of the tight corners he had to glue woven cardboard to the carpet backing to hem it with Vinyl... since the backing was falling off....this raised the labor and cost.
Accel pedal cutout:

Side panels:

Trunk carpet with access flap for Darkwater boxes:
3.1 IRS Complete Kit #6616, June 08 delivery; 347 stroker; TKO 500 Mid Shift; SAI & Bumpsteer Mods; Manual Rack;
" At 60 there is no time left to delay your Dreams "
SJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

I took my carpet to a local auto upholstery shop and had him sew on some vinyl edgeing tape and scuff pads on the right and bottom of the throttle pedal. See this Mk 3 build site for pictures. Carpet Overview [FFR Roadster]. Jim
Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, rebuilt 89 302 EFI,T-5, Sapphire Blue Met w/ Wimbledon White stripes,painted by Jeff Miller,3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto555 245-315 tires,VPM Banana bracket brace,SAI steering kit, Mods--widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/
cobrajj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

FYI- My upholstery guy charged me $40. for what is pictured in the Mk 3 build site and did it while I waited! Jim
Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, rebuilt 89 302 EFI,T-5, Sapphire Blue Met w/ Wimbledon White stripes,painted by Jeff Miller,3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto555 245-315 tires,VPM Banana bracket brace,SAI steering kit, Mods--widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/
cobrajj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

I used "instabind" carpet edging.

http://www.installerstore.com/Instab...t-Binding.html

I used it on the floor my floor mats and on a piece of carpet that covers my trunk storage box. It's really easy to install and makes a great-looking edge.

David
My Saving Grace: John 3:16

My car: http://mysite.verizon.net/resshc7d/
FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
March 2012 POM on The Other Forum
Cobradavid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobradavid View Post
I used "instabind" carpet edging.

http://www.installerstore.com/Instab...t-Binding.html

I used it on the floor my floor mats and on a piece of carpet that covers my trunk storage box. It's really easy to install and makes a great-looking edge.

David
X2

Instabind here as well. Worked great and looks very nice.
tad240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks guys. Great suggestions.
I needed something to take my mind off of sanding.
#7009 Mk 3.1
Ordered May 29, 2009; Arrived Sept.12th, 2009
Engine in Oct. 25th, 2009; Roller in Jan. 2010
First sustained start May 1st, 2010; Gocart May 20th 2010
Body on June 6th, 2010; Driving with body on June 17th, 2010
Inspected, weighed, VIN, and insured July 26, 2010
IMPORTANT: Painted and on road August 2011!!!(302EFI, P&P, fr disc, T5, Pro coil overs, dual roll bars, FFR headers, 3.55 rear, part donor, part new, all fun!
dwleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Took my carpet after fitting to a local automotive upholstery installer. Bound all edges for me, picked up all piece about two hours later. Very inexpensive, looks professional.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
master craftsman
FFCars Captain

take it to an upholstery shop. like $50 to do everything.............and it keeps the economy moving!
72' 306" pinto wagon 1/4 miler
1973 olds 442
34 ford 5 window coupe
1980 Celica sunchaser.......Google it!
2003 Mustang GT
99 ZX9
85 Goldwing

all cars still in my stable!
next addition ????????????

Fear is the thief of dreams.

Every Saint has a past...every Sinner a future.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office..............
Riptide Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

I watched a guy bind my carpet in my home many years ago so I tried his approach. No pictures since the car is in the paint shop now.

Lay the carpet face up on a table. Lay the carpet edging upside down along the carpet edge. With a heavy duty stapler, staple the edging to the carpet to simulate stitching it. Then pull the edging tape back over the edge, flip the carpet over, lay down a bead of hot glue on the tape and seal it to the bottom of the carpet. It worked great and looks great. I used this in the trunk since I wanted access to the access panels.

If this is unclear or if pictures of the process are desirable, I'll take some pics of the process next week and post them. PM me if more info is needed.

Chuck
FFR 6624, delivered 05/20/08, Levy Stage 3 (EFI), IRS, 15" PSE GT40 wheels. Whitby paint and finish. Forte's hydraulic clutch activator conversion. Completed and tagged 07/29/2011.
Steak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Carpet edging instructions

Daryl:
It is actually not too hard to do if you have access to a sewing machine. Basically you sew the carpet edging along the pile side close to the edge and then fold the edging over itself (over the stitch) and then hot glue it to the back of the carpet.

Here are a couple of examples of what I did:

Let me know if you need some of the edging as I have extra.

Greg
June 07 Build School; FFR #5765 delivered Aug 27/07; Complete May 2009; 347 Levy all forged rotating assembly, Edelbrock E-Street heads, Explorer intake, 70mm TB, BBK 76mm Mass air, 30lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, Gas-N sidepipes, PS with Heidts valve, PB, FF5 heater, Team III wheels & BFG tires ....
Tatika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajj View Post
I took my carpet to a local auto upholstery shop and had him sew on some vinyl edgeing tape and scuff pads on the right and bottom of the throttle pedal.
I did the same. Here are some pictures:

The only edges I had them bind were the really obvious ones (like across the front and rear of the trans tunnel). Once floor mats are in place, they do a good job of covering or at least drawing your eye to their finished edge in the footbox, so I'm not sure it's worth your money to spend a lot of dough edging every piece there.

Sean
Mk III partial SN95 donor, 351W stroked & poked to 396 c.i., custom EFI, 4 into 4's, 3link, 3.73, chrome FR500's, full bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, hydroboost, 5-lug, GT front, MK VIII/Cobra rear discs, painted by SRP, (fully) legal and driving! Graduating...?
canuck1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rob
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Captain

professional hair trimmers.

There is a tutorial on now a member did his. He used professional barbers hair trimmers. Cut back the edges and bonded on some edging. Not sure who, when, where! But I am assuming its in the archives somewhere if someone can find it.

Rgds

Rob
Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
There is a tutorial on now a member did his. He used professional barbers hair trimmers. Cut back the edges and bonded on some edging. Not sure who, when, where! But I am assuming its in the archives somewhere if someone can find it.

Rgds

Rob
I think Greg_M did that in his build. Not sure though.

Sean
FFR #6728 Complete kit MK3.1, Delivered 9-27-08, First start 1-25-09, Go Kart 2-21-09, Completed 6-12-09, Graduated 8-25-09
351W (should be ~450hp, still need to dyno), Dart heads, full roller Comp Cam, Carb'd, TKO 500, 3Link,
Paint by Street Rod Painter - Ken Pike (Toyota Phantom Gray Effect/Mercedes Brilliant Silver stripes)

Build photos:
http://s799.photobucket.com/albums/y...Cobra%20Build/

Go-kart video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3Kf53aEhw
quatro007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
FFCobra Master Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

Brought mine to upholstry shop for edge binding. I think it was $1 a foot, so maybe $20-$30. Really makes the interior look more finished.
Doug
Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Rgds

Rob
That was me.

The process: Gregs '65 Shelby AC Cobra Build (FFR) - Trimming Back The Carpet's Edge - Worldisround photo
Got to next photo several times to see the whole thing.

Greg
Greg_M is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement