FFR Bump Steer Kit Question (first post) - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

FFR Bump Steer Kit Question (first post)

I bought the FFR bump steer kit a couple of weeks ago but I can’t find a lot of info about it on the forum. Does anybody have any opinions about the kit? I notice that some of the other kits have the “spacers” used to adjust the angle of the tie rod, however the FFR kit does not have the spacers. Can I just by 5/8” I.D. spacers from Fastenal? Is there a certain grade I need to get? Any opinions, thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Oh by the way, this is my first post and I am super-pumped because my kit will be ready four weeks from Saturday (4/23). Let the fun begin.

Joey
daltmcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
New

Joey - don't mean this to be a dirty trick - as I didn't use the FF bump steer kit I can't offer any help - but, I did want to say: great to see the first post and know it won't be the last. This is a great place to help you find lots of ways to solve problems and help spend your $$$. Darrel
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lay posi
FFCars Craftsman

I can't speak for your setup, but on mine (94 spindles, donor power steering, SAI mod) a bump steer kit would not solve bump steer. What did help is using the FFR rack extensions and lowering the rack with offset bushings.

Wibby
Old 03-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Smile

JOEY

I not familiar with the bump steer kit you have but I used the one from steeda and it uses the sleeves. I think the trick is really study the full movement of the linkage all thru the travel,, what I mean is slack off the front spring adjusters and check your angles from full drop to full compression at the stops. I used a trans jack and a lift but I know everyone doesn;t have access to this so if you use a floor jack for your movement check you will be good. I would start with your steering rack and shim it until it is even with the ends of the spindle where the tie rods connect and then work with your angles on your tie rods through there travel,,,, takes some time but it worked out really good for me.
Good luck with the build and you will have a blast doing it !!

JIM
jesmeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Master Craftsman

Wink Bump Steer

joey,

Since you don't appear to have your kit yet, I question the purchase of a bump steer kit. With that said, we need to know more about your selections for steering rack, spindles, control arms and whether-or-not you also ordered the sai mod. If yours is one of the newer MkIV kits, you shouldn't need the SAI mod, that issue has been pretty much engineered out of the front steering/suspension geometry.

Bump steer is the effect you get when one tire drops into a hole or rises over a bump in the road and toe-in changes, causing the car to react in the direction of the toe change due to different angles of the tie-rod(s) and the lower control arm(s).

If the angle is exact for the tie rod and the lower control arm and the "pivot point" is exactly the same (tie rod connection to the rack and the lower control arm bushings), you should have (in theory) no bump steer, as the arm and the tie rod would be traveling in the same arc.

When all of the above is not "exact', the tie rod and the lower contro; arm travel different arcs and you get toe changes.

The bump-steer kits are designed to allow you to "adjust" the angle of the tie rod to be as close as possible to the angle of the LCA but do not adjust for the pivot points. The idea is; get it as close as possible and it (bump steer) will be almost un-noticable. There are other factors involved here but that is the basics of it.

Lowering the rack will get most of it out and the BS kit will allow for fine tuning. Rack extensions move the pivot points out to better match the LCA bushing centerline, once again trying to make these two steering/suspension parts move as one at the same angles.

HTH

Doc
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
Big Blocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

i guess it would help to provide some more info. i ordered a base kit with FFR lower control arms. i am going to use SN95 spindles (94-95 model) with a manual rack. my plans are to use the offset bushings (breeze), SAI mod (whitby) and bump steer kit (ffr).

the majority of the post that i have read lean toward these mods for the best setup.

i had a gift card to ffr that covered the cost of the bump steer kit so i thought i would go ahead and get it while i wait on the kit. i plan to pick a SAI kit at the auto-fair in a couple of weeks.

joey
daltmcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
4.6 SOHC T3650 Telorvek
FFCars Craftsman

You should NOT need the SAI kit with a MK 4 - the SAI changes have been incorporated into the Mk 4 hardware.
DD
d42davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Unconventional Builder

Garage
I sold the FFR bump steer kit that I had b/c I didn't like the idea of drilling out the spindle holes to accommodate the stud/bolt. I bought Forte's model and they provide a sleeve to fit right in the spindle no expansion necessary.

The offset rack bushings I believe were to fix pre Mk3 rack setup. You may even want to hold off on the SAI mod because the Mk 4 has a redesigned setup.

Stop spending $$ for now we will help you with that later. Get ready to build what you got coming adding an SAI mod is easy later b/c you aren't going to torque your front suspension down for a while.
Mk III #5294 -Purchased 1/08, Tagged 4/14/12
302 T5, 3-link, 3.55 posi, 13" Cobra brakes, SAI, UTC exhaust No More EFI: Now Quick Fuel 650
YouTube Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u
My Pics:
http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Joe...?sort=6&page=1
JoeE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lay posi
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibby View Post
I can't speak for your setup, but on mine (94 spindles, donor power steering, SAI mod) a bump steer kit would not solve bump steer. What did help is using the FFR rack extensions and lowering the rack with offset bushings.

Wibby
I forgot to mention that I have a MKIII.

Good luck on your MKIV. FFR has made some nice improvements along the way.

Wibby
Advertisement