See your car in different color - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Talking See your car in different color

If you have been wondering what your car would look like with a different color check this out.
The car pictured is actully mine. He is a photo guy and runs a photo scanning company. He gives instructions how to do it.

http://scanmyoldphotos.com/wordpress/?p=162

Pretty cool!
Enjoy,
Tom
tomh440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomh440 View Post
If you have been wondering what your car would look like with a different color check this out.
The car pictured is actully mine. He is a photo guy and runs a photo scanning company. He gives instructions how to do it.

http://scanmyoldphotos.com/wordpress/?p=162

Pretty cool!
Enjoy,
Tom
That's cool, I still cant' decide on color. Interestingly enough, my 3 choices are yellow, green, and orange.

Thanks for posting this!
FFR#6407
Home 4/18/09 - Roller 12/7/09 - First Start 1/23/11
Body Work Official Start - 12/26/12 - Up to Date Body Work Posts on the Build Site - Delayed to to Swapping to 347 Stroker with Stacked Injections
Build Site
What I do to pay for it all - Web and App Development
Professional Auto Detailing, Vacation Rentals, Little of Everything
beartoothweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Wink

Hey Bear, what color are you leaning towards? How would you rank the 3 colors?
What about stripe color?

One of the hardest decisions when building the whole car!! I'm glad I went Yellow. I get ribbed from my buddies with Cobras. I think they are just jelous....
Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomh440 View Post
Hey Bear, what color are you leaning towards? How would you rank the 3 colors?
What about stripe color?

One of the hardest decisions when building the whole car!! I'm glad I went Yellow. I get ribbed from my buddies with Cobras. I think they are just jelous....
Originally, it was all orange with white stripes, but my best cobra buddy's is orange (Mike_M). Then, I saw a couple of yellow ones, and I really like those as well. I want it to be a little different.

I'm now thinking green though. i was playing with my graphics program today and came up with a green one based on the original yellow with white. I'm considering anthracite stripes to match my wheels. Need to pay with some colors. This green has too much yellow in it.

My side pipes are ceramic aluminum shade, chrome dual roll bars.

I like the new porsche's that are black accented.

FFR#6407
Body Work Official Start - 12/26/12 - Up to Date Body Work Posts on the Build Site - Delayed to to Swapping to 347 Stroker with Stacked Injections
Build Site
Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Charter Member

i like it!!! GREEN
FFR #4949 completed Fed. 2007, 1994 EFI 5.0, GT40 heads, E303 cam, custom computer chip, Explorer intake, 65 tb, 1.7 roller rocker, MSD, mustang mod rear anti-sway, Miata front anti-sway, underdive pulley, 4-link with autowelds and 3.73, Fusion Orange no stripes
connor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Hey, Tom, now you can see your car with the correct color of red! LOL!

Missed you yesterday at lunch. Great day for a drive. Glenn showed us a place to take a picture on top of a parking garage with Austin in the background.
FFR3542K, 347 C.I., Holly Systemax EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, 4 Wheel Discs, Red with White Stripes
Seagull81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
American
FFCars Craftsman

Most people build their car the way they like it, and that's great. However, when it comes to resale time what one guy likes may not be what someone else likes. Colors that are far away from the norm can make it a lot tougher to sell a car. When doing a build that may not be high on the list of priorities but when / if one gets the itch to do another car or project it can pose a real headache when trying to get money back out of it. When I built my first car I thought I would have it a long time. As such I went with the color that I knew I would always like, not what I thought looked pretty cool at the time. When I decided to sell it I was glad I didn't go with some of the colors I had considered doing at one point...
~ 1990 #81 Miata - www.chumpcar.com
~ 1990 Mazda Spec-ish Miata
Pictures
The Federalist Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Federalist Patriot View Post
Most people build their car the way they like it, and that's great. However, when it comes to resale time what one guy likes may not be what someone else likes. Colors that are far away from the norm can make it a lot tougher to sell a car. When doing a build that may not be high on the list of priorities but when / if one gets the itch to do another car or project it can pose a real headache when trying to get money back out of it. When I built my first car I thought I would have it a long time. As such I went with the color that I knew I would always like, not what I thought looked pretty cool at the time. When I decided to sell it I was glad I didn't go with some of the colors I had considered doing at one point...
I hear ya. I don't know what color you ended up going with, but I just find it so hard to paint mine blue like all the others. I absolutely love that color, and pretty much all colors, really, but it's nice to be a little unique now and then.

I'm shooting the car myself, so theoretically, no matter what color I go with, I could always to a color change. In my case, though, it's much more likely I'd just build another one and keep the first one. If I could build 5 or 6 cars with different colors, I would.

Good points to consider though with the resale.
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
American
FFCars Craftsman

Color choice for me was a very difficult thing and I think it is for most people. I ended up painting the car black but the funny thing is the title said red because when I did the registration that was the color I was "sure" I was going to paint it.

I thought of using that green color as an accent color to black on a Panoz race car I used to own. I still may paint a Miata I have black and use that color for accent - it's a track car. I see it as more of a race car color. That color on a cobra with black wheels, black roll bar, black sidepipes, black stripes, black mirrors, etc could be pretty cool. I have a friend with a Backdraft that is very orange (non-metallic) with black accents. It's a track car and looks really cool.

The funny thing is, if you go with a color that is out of the norm it may limit your potential market when you try to sell it, OR, it could be the reason why someone wants to buy it.
~ 1990 #81 Miata - www.chumpcar.com
~ 1990 Mazda Spec-ish Miata
Pictures
The Federalist Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Color choice for me was a very difficult thing and I think it is for most people. I ended up painting the car black but the funny thing is the title said red because when I did the registration that was the color I was "sure" I was going to paint it.

I thought of using that green color as an accent color to black on a Panoz race car I used to own. I still may paint a Miata I have black and use that color for accent - it's a track car. I see it as more of a race car color. That color on a cobra with black wheels, black roll bar, black sidepipes, black stripes, black mirrors, etc could be pretty cool. I have a friend with a Backdraft that is very orange (non-metallic) with black accents. It's a track car and looks really cool.

The funny thing is, if you go with a color that is out of the norm it may limit your potential market when you try to sell it, OR, it could be the reason why someone wants to buy it.
I see your point(s) I have to say I love the Yellow, and I get alot of compliments. I'm glad I went with a bright color, it really stands out.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
People really sell cars? huh, something i never considered... but then again i still have my first car, and my 2nd and...
Pics of the 04 Cobra donor and progress #5874
Sean
Bigblockbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

The Porsche has the green/black, and it's pretty cool. I kind of define the roadster as a "super car", so I contend it's okay for "super car" obnoxious color choices.

This one is a little more bluish tint than yellow in the green.

FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 01-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Snake Farmer

Garage
I gather that you need a Phototshop program to do this?

Is it possible to use the MS Paint program, or any others, to play around with colors for your ride? Those Photoshop programs are bloody expensive..
Love at first bite! FFR6803RD, MKIII 3.1, 302EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5 c/w Hurst Short Shifter, 3 link, Koni coil overs, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear, BBK rr lower control arms, Chuck's Roadster wire harness, part donor, part new. Officially on road 09/2010
AC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post

Is it possible to use the MS Paint program, or any others, to play around with colors for your ride? Those Photoshop programs are bloody expensive..
MS Paint won't do it. MS Office's picture manager has hue and saturation adjustments though, so you should be able to play with it there, if you've got office.
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Just thought I'd post my mockup of the green combo I'm thinking about. I can't for the life of me remember who's yellow car this started out as, but thanks...it was an 09 POM I think.

This is the porsche color with white stripes, dual rollbars (chrome), and I put in my anthracite wheels with peek-a-boo red calipers. I also removed the front quick jacks, since I'm going to shave them too.

This isn't as aggressive as the black on green, and not for everyone, for sure, but I like the combo.

FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartoothweb View Post
Just thought I'd post my mockup of the green combo I'm thinking about. I can't for the life of me remember who's yellow car this started out as, but thanks...it was an 09 POM I think.

This is the porsche color with white stripes, dual rollbars (chrome), and I put in my anthracite wheels with peek-a-boo red calipers. I also removed the front quick jacks, since I'm going to shave them too.

This isn't as aggressive as the black on green, and not for everyone, for sure, but I like the combo.

Your welcome, the original picture is of my car.

Of course, I like the yellow better, but if I were going green, I think I'd do more of a British Racing green.

Picture of the Month, Nov. 2009 - http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/232339-november-2009-picture-month.html

Grad Thread - http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/232049-time-graduate-ffr4713-2009-ffcars-com-graduate-75-a.html

MarkIII, Non-donor, carb 302 - 360hp, LevyT5, 3 link, Cobra brakes, chrome Bullitt wheels
MHCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Sorry about that, I could have tried harder. I LOVE your car! I was actually thinking of going yellow just because of it...

Thanks for posting this...
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post

Take a look at paint.net and/or gimp. Both are free and open source image editors that are pretty good. You can definitely achieve the above results with either program. There are some decent tutorials on youtube. The hardest(most tedious) part is selecting the parts you want to change the color of. Once the selection is is made and put on a new layer changing the color (hue) is cake.

Todd
smithtlw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement