Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Motor mount opinions needed

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  sshae 
#1 ·
I need to replace the motor mounts on the Roadster. The ones I got off fleabay just aren't cutting it. In fact the right side has dropped and the shorty header is now hitting it so it's time to pony up for a decent set. I've been looking at the Prothane for about $110 and Energy Suspension for about $140. Are the Energy Suspension worth the extra $. This car is street driven only.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
"Worth it" is in the eyes of the owner or driver. I will say that I have been completely satisfied with my Energy Suspension mounts for the past 13,000 miles. No sagging noticed.

Fortes probably has them in stock.. :) :)

#3 ·
The Energy Suspension mounts came with my complete kit and I have to say I've never seen a more ill fitting piece of junk in my life. One side would not sit flush on the frame mount, both hit the side of the block before they bolted down flush and no amount of grinding would fix it. Headers and side pipes were so far off I was ready to quit. In a last ditch effort I went down to my local parts store and bought a set of stock Ford mounts. To my amazement they almost fell into place. everything was prefectly flush and the pipes needed very little adjustment. Just goes to show that all the high dollar aftermarket stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be.

#4 ·
Joe and Jim, Thanks. This exactly the kind of feed back I'm looking for. Anybody else?

#5 ·
I just got a new set from NAPA for a Fox convertible. Drops the engine a bit compared to hardtop mounts. I'm just running a stock engine though so may not be suitable for high HP guys.

#6 ·
I have no complaints with the NAPA convertible mounts I used on my Mk3. Currently building a complete kit Mk4 which included a set of Energy Suspension mounts. Unlike what jimstephens experienced they fit the engine perfectly and dropped right into place on the frame :confused1:. Supposedly Prothane mounts set the engine up a little higher which could potentially create issues with hood clearance and/or sidepipe cutouts.

Jeff

#7 ·
I need to replace the motor mounts on the Roadster. The ones I got off fleabay just aren't cutting it. In fact the right side has dropped and the shorty header is now hitting it
I have same problem with the old donor set. Will a new pair solve the contact problem?

#9 ·
I've got a Mk4 complete kit and it comes with the Energy Mounts.

I've got Ford Racing Shorty Headers and they hit the Energy mounts on the passenger side. As of this point I've put two washers between the engine and the mount and the headers just clear. See the thread below.

Here is my earlier thread stating my problem and the back and forth that followed.
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248813&highlight=shorty+headers

As was stated, in the thread above, some have problems with their header hitting and others don't. Since that thread, I have come to realize there are two different mounts for the Mustang. Regular and Convertible. So what's the difference?

I believe the Energy and Convertible mounts are the same, setting the engine lower by about a half inch. Thus the Ford Shorty Headers on the passenger side are hitting.

I am going ahead with putting the two washers between the block and mount and will see later how that works out. I've just put in a 302 empty block with heads for designing footbox modifications and fitted up the shorty's, when I found out there was a problem.

George

#10 · (Edited)
Interesting comments about problems. I don't claim to be a Master Mechanic, but really, I had no problems with the installation. One thing to note, I used 4 into 4 headers, so I didn't have to deal with clearance issues that some are having with the shorty header / J-Pipe set up, but I certainly didn't have any problems with mounting them to my 1989 302 block.

#11 ·
I used the engine/tranny ES mounts, and they fit like a glove. No issues at all. Like Joe, I have the 4 into 4 headers. They were the black ones in case this makes a difference, and were direct replacements for the Mustang.

#12 ·
From high to low

1] prothane

2] energy

3] convertible

There are also solid mounts available from many manufacturers we have both convertible & regular solid available as well as 351 solid [height?] For the height issue we go with the energy and they are in stock $150.00 with the metric nuts!!!!

Steve

#13 ·
The original mounts I used were supposed to be for a convertible but there were no clearance issues at the start. After the car was on the road a while I noticed a vibration of sorts under load that could be felt in the steering wheel as well as the 2x2 support that it attaches to. When under the car one day I noticed a dimpled area in the tube of the passenger header about a 1/4 inch above the mount so I trimmed the mount to provide more clearance. Things were better but the vibe was still there. After a couple of autocross sessions I was replacing the side pipes with the new Gas N Performance ones and while lining them up I noticed the clearance between the passenger header and motor mount was down to about 1/8 inch. This leads me to belive that the mount is collapsing and there may be metal touching metal within the mount. This is why I want to replace them. Thanks for the input everyone.

#14 ·
#15 ·
IMO the Energy Suspension motor mounts are junk. I ordered a set from Summit and one was cracked becuase they cold formed the steel. Summit exchanged it for another set and the second set had the same problem only this time is was on the opposite side. I returned the second set and just stayed with my 94 donor mounts.

Wibby

#19 ·
FWIW -- I had to grind on my energy suspension mounts to fit the dart 351w block. Other than this, they have worked well. YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.