PS footbox, is bigger better? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Student

PS footbox, is bigger better?

I'm struggling with the issue of making my PS footbox bigger. I will seldom be sitting on the passenger side and I'm not sure if I really want to go to the effort and expense but 'i really don't want to say "geeze I wish I would have done that" after it's all completed.
Can you give me some input?

Thanks
FFR #7018, IRS pin drive, 5.0/T5
FFR #7228, under construction
MK3 Build pics - Graduation - August 2011 POM - First Ride of 2012 - 2012 UCC Summer Cruise
Doug Meldrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
2010 FFCars Graduate
FFCars Captain

I cheaped out and just did the drivers side. My wife is short and told me to not worry about her side. She has mentioned that on the longer outings that may not have been her best choice.
302,Holley,T-5,3-link,FFR Konis
Graduation link... http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/249601-please-graduate-ffr5056-graduate-no-20-a.html
POM link... http://www.ffcars.com/POM/oct2010.html
speed2much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm sure you will be providing many "rides" to family and friends; and if any have long legs, it is nice to have the extra foot room (meaning length, so they can strech em out). Whitby's sells a PS foot box extension that provides the extra length needed to accommodate most. I think it's around 50$ and is quite a simple install.

HTH,

Miles
F5R #6732 [I]Levy Stage 5 408W, Levy Super Alloy T-5 mid-shift, pin drive IRS, SAI mod.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
DMW
FFCobra Master Craftsman

I would make it bigger if you could. I widened mine a bit. It was never an issue with my wife but if I ride another guy around, it is tight.

One thing that someone did here was to make a sloped floor at the front of the footbox using a wedge of aluminum. It allows the passenger to put their feet flat and is much more comfortable than having your legs resting on your heels for a long ride.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
We know what you're up to
FFCars Captain

Yes, bigger is better...that's what my wife says.

In case you couldn't find them, here are the templates for the ones I made...
http://mk3build.com/library/PassengerFootbox.pdf
http://mk3build.com/library/PassengerFootbox.dwg

There are other costs you need to take into consideration, like getting a sheet brake or other tools to make the bends, and the cost of carpet cause the supplied kit will no longer fit.

Swing on by if you want to try it out before you commit.
Don Payne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I kept mine the original depth, but widened it 4" towards the center. Once I sat there and realized how awkward it was and that you basically have to stack your feet to sit there it was a no brainer to do the mod. I did mine after the fact (footbox completely assembled and polished) and it really wasn't a big deal to do, maybe 2 hours work tops.

Jim.
kelownacobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

IMO it is more important to deal with the width than the depth.

It is a fairly simple mod to do as long as your choice of header gives you the room you need.

Live every day like it was your last. Dont ask me how I know.

FFR Roadster #7123 Ordered 10/15/09, Picked up 12/12/09, Roller 5/10/10, first start 10/31/10 go cart 10/31/10, Title and tags 10/4/11....old school, no power assists, 15" rims, built to be driven
Jeff Mulliken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

like others above, I went for width over depth. With my son driving more and more, I wish I would have gone for dept too. Another couple of inches (please no jokes) would be great.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Benched

I extended both sides in mine but never gave a thought to the passenger until I sat in somebodys that didn't do it.

Do it now you won't regret it.

Garage Cam

http://mk4-cobrabuild.viewnetcam.com...gle&Language=0
Mikey_P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

The question is......do you want to spread em? (legs) or do you want to stretch em???
F5R #6732 [I]Levy Stage 5 408W, Levy Super Alloy T-5 mid-shift, pin drive IRS, SAI mod.

Last edited by Miles; 06-27-2010 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: ..
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you are going to do something, do it early. Once the engine/headers are in it becomes very difficult.
jack
jack@wavebusters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage
DO IT NOW!! Try test riding in one if you haven't already, you'll see how crapped it really is. I'm 6'2" and I can't ride in my friends for too long because my knees are pulled up towards the door and zero room for your feet!! I made mine both wider and longer, very close to the same size as the drivers side.
Robert Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Charter Member

I'd highly recommend it - I widened it and extended it - I also used 16g steel for the floor and front of the footboxes on both sides, and powdercoated it. I wanted to have some protection against intrusion from the road while driving - the .040 aluminum doesn't seem terribly thick.

CobraDVM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

A wise man once said " You have one chance to do it right the first time" Of all the mods and upgrades, it is really not that hard or expensive - and it is definitely not easy to do later on. You an add sunvisors, wind wings, overriders or hoops later later very easily, not so with redoing the footboxes.

Sure it might not impact you while you are driving it, but as others have said...you will have passengers and then what about someday if and should you sell it?

Planning a mid-life Cobra, not a mid-life crisis
KC Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
GWL
FFCars Master Craftsman

Just do it!

I'd say do it. What I am enjoying most is the custom work that I am doing to make this 'My Build'. I want others to be able to sit in the car and enjoy the ride as best as they can. I will be making those short trips for just about everything but I also want to do some longer trips and want everyone to be as comfortable as possible.

I've got a Mk.4 and I'm in the middle of making the passenger side wider toward the center of the car. Now the Mk.4 passenger box is already larger than the Mk.3. I think it is longer, wider to the right side and a bit of change was made to the left side.

Trying to get my wife somewhat involved with the car I had her sit in it as soon as I could. She mentioned the somewhat lack of space on the left side of the box. You don't sit quite square in the passenger seat. I had already sat there myself and noticed it too. I don't think it is bad but I wanted to improve it if I can. Also remember these cars are designed to accommodate wider engines. So if you are not using the wider engines why not widen the foot boxes.

I'm using a Ford 5.0L with Ford Racing Shorty Headers for two reasons. I'm running cats for the sound and emissions and because of the space it will save both with the engine and with the #4 cylinder. With the FRS Headers the #4 cylinder pipe comes out of the engine and drops down below the manifold. If you are using 4 into 4 that #4 pipe limits what you can do with the left side of the box a bit but I still think you can add some space. I'm making my boxes larger with a 'dummy engine' in place with the headers on.

I was able to get to within 3/4" to an 1" of the headers allowing me to enlarge the box 2" more toward the center of the car. I've been putting it together bit by bit by making a template and having a sheet metal shop make the bends for me while I cut the shape I wanted. I'm using a thicker 5051 aluminum which is a bit more malleable too. I am very happy with the results.

I am taking pictures along the way and will post my results later.

I will be changing the drivers side toward the engine in a little different way but will only be able to gain maybe an inch for my 4E size shoe. I want to make sure that foot can find the accelerator pedal and not the brake when I want it to.

George

Picked up Mk. 4 Roadster - 3-5-10

'75 Porsche Targa Carrera - Sold
'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold
GWL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Student

Sold...

OK, I'm a believer. I don't want to kick myself when it's done for a quick job. I'm using the 302 with the 4 into 4 headers so I do have some room.

Don, I'll come over to see your's again and sit in the passenger seat if I could. I'll call you.

For the rest of you, thanks for the input. I'd love to see some pics.
FFR #7018, IRS pin drive, 5.0/T5
FFR #7228, under construction
MK3 Build pics - Graduation - August 2011 POM - First Ride of 2012 - 2012 UCC Summer Cruise
Doug Meldrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Here's mine, not the fanciest, but it gets the job done.

Pay no attention to the lose wire connector and crooked fuel lines, I wasn't finished yet .

Jim.
kelownacobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Not a waxer

I didn't do it but recommend you do. My wife is very petite so there is no issue for her, but it is pretty cramped for guys over about 5'8". When I take some of my taller buddies along they are packed in. One of these days when I pull the body I'll rework it.

Jeff
Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text
Sorry...order got a little jumbled when Kodak Gallery migrated to Shutterfly

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread
Mk4 Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread
Mk4 Bodywork & paint thread
JKleiner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
RJG

Just do it. Your passengers will love you.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Whitby's?

Sorry for the hijack..I can tell Whitby's adds length but I can't tell if enough width is added to put your feet side by side? If it does, for the money, this would make an easy kit.

Chris
Old 06-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

302 w/ same headers as you.

there are instructions in my link below to make an expanson like kelownacobra.

my cost was $18, i used only one (1) 24" x 24" sheet from home depot.

a few inches makes all the difference. well worth it and highly reccomended.

Glamour Shots

FREE Fender Spat Template & a few useful CAD files for everyone, click here!

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

NiceGuyEddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
We know what you're up to
FFCars Captain

Eddie, are those BBKs? They sure stick out a ton for 302 headers. Here is a pic of Hookers on a 351...

Don Payne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Do It Now

Check out this link.... Don't be in hurry... This is half the fun. Researching and making it happen.. It took me more time to research it than to do it... I did my like these.. Check it out....

http://ffcars.com/forums/showthread....ders+Passenger
Mark 3.1 delivered Oct 08, Massing parts for 331 stroker, GT40 heads, EFI, Ford E-cam, ff5 4 into 4 headers, Explorer Intake. T5 w/ S10 midshift, IRS and ff5 LCA's, Koni coil overs. Power steering, ABS power boosted 13" Cobra Brakes front and Thunderbird rears. 2003 Cobra After markets 18/9's front 18/10.5 rears. Tires 275's front and 315's rear. Cannonball Cobra's Trunk box.
JJ'snakepit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement