Dash Mounting? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Question Dash Mounting?

How do you position the dash to be mounted? Do you make it even and flush with the top of the curved frame bar or do you just center it with the steering shaft and hole? I need to position it so I can fabricate some brackets to hold it in to place. I do not want to place screws threw the leather to anchor it to the frame. I want to rivet brackets in to place prior to wraping the dash and mount the brackets to the frame to hold the dash in place.

If anyone has pictures of thier dash mounted prior to the body being installed would help alot!

Thank You,
Kurt
My Mk3 Kit was ordered Online on February 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm!!!! Estimated Ship Date of 3/27/2010!!!! Delivered 4/11/2010 at 11:30 am!!!!!!!!
SC289FI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
GWL
FFCars Master Craftsman

The original dash mountings used screws through the leather to the top frame member. Looks like they used about five screws.

However, to help you with your mounting Eastwood sells a vice grip counter sunk tool to dimple the aluminum for counter sunk rivets which they also sell. This will help keep the leather flat where you are mounting the brackets.

Original dash of a CSX2000 series car. Note this car has the Stewart Warner gauges

George

Picked up Mk. 4 Roadster - 3-5-10

'75 Porsche Targa Carrera - Sold
'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold
GWL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
iBuild

Kurt,

The correct answer of course is that you shouldnt mount the dash until the body is on so that you can push it up to meet the body and not have a gap.

From what I've read though, typically you want to be flush to about 1/16th high, the hoop and the dash arent the same curve, so it won't be the same gap throughout. Also, some of the painters suggest bringing the covering material past the dash, fold, and then back down the back in order to make a soft flap that will contact the body and fill any gap.

-Scott
MKIII Roadster #5835; IRS, Team III Wheels, Kuhmo XS Tires
Anderson Performance 408 Engine; Levy G-Force T5 rebuilt by Hanlon Motorsports
Engine Installed July 4th, First start July 5th 2009
Metal Morphous paint completed on November 20th, 2010
Titled and legal July, 2011
Someday I Suppose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
We know what you're up to
FFCars Captain

Since you mentioned the steering wheel hole. I had to move the pillow block all the way to the right for the steering wheel to line up nicely when the dash was centered on the hoop.
Don Payne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Speaking of steering wheel hole. I added about 1/4-3/8" of shims to raise the steering wheel pillow block. Besides giving me better view of my tach every 1/4 inch gives me just that little bit more clearance for my legs.

Bob Mac
Bob McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Velcro works just fine.
rich grsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lex

I dont have a good pic of my brackets but definately wait until the body is on. I used a 2" piece of flat aluminum to make a bracket for each lower side and bolted them to the main square tube and the lower lip on the dash. I used the 2 support tubes in the center and nothing on top. It slid in on top just snug enough to keep it solid. I liked the clean look on top with no screws.
F5R4298RD (SOLD and hate it) MkIII 5.0,B303,Dual 450 Holleys,GT40P's,3.73,Pin Drive,Vintage Wheels, BBK 4x4's July 2008 Pom: http://www.ffcars.com/POM/jul2008.html January 2012 POM: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/118-ffc...car-month.html Re-Build Photos: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/256668-finally-done-new-paint-rebuild-pics.html

Shell Valley Daytona Coupe, (SOLD and thankful for it) 550HP 347, T56 Six Speed.

1957 Ford Thunderbird

"It's loud, smells like gasoline, and shakes, shudders, and bucks. It makes your arms tired and your feet hot. You nearly crash about once every ten minutes. It's so damn wonderful you can’t believe it." -Automobile Mag. Oct. '04
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
Kurt,

The correct answer of course is that you shouldnt mount the dash until the body is on so that you can push it up to meet the body and not have a gap.

From what I've read though, typically you want to be flush to about 1/16th high, the hoop and the dash arent the same curve, so it won't be the same gap throughout. Also, some of the painters suggest bringing the covering material past the dash, fold, and then back down the back in order to make a soft flap that will contact the body and fill any gap.

-Scott
IMPORTANT: Scott is correct.

this topic comes up quite a bit, and it's understandable because there is reasonable fear of "committing" to mounting your dash before the body is on.

the first tip is to understand that the dash hoop and dash panel top are NOT concentric, meaning the top of the arcs are not in the center. so you are right, line it up left to right by using the steering wheel opening and the steering wheel shaft.

the top of the dash panel will be about 3/16" above the top of the hoop (still keeping in mind that the top centers are not the same.)

and YES, if you feel more comfortable, you can use velcro until you get your body mounted.

in any case, snip off them edges, once they tuck behind the door hinge tabs, there is no reason to go the extra 5" or so. all it will do is make the mouting more cumbersome. you can't see past that area anyway.

Glamour Shots

FREE Fender Spat Template & a few useful CAD files for everyone, click here!

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

NiceGuyEddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Snake Farmer

Garage
I followed the instructions that Breeze have for mounting the dash. See them under Breeze's tech tips
http://www.breezeautomotive.com/tips.php

I hope like heck they are good instructions, as I haven't placed the body on the chassis yet..I did leave excess dash material on top, to tuck in if needed.

I drilled and tapped the dash hoop to accept 8-32 screws, and used finishing washers on them. I plan on using the same for my centre console, and Earls door trim panels.
Love at first bite! FFR6803RD, MKIII 3.1, 302EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5 c/w Hurst Short Shifter, 3 link, Koni coil overs, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear, BBK rr lower control arms, Chuck's Roadster wire harness, part donor, part new. Officially on road 09/2010
AC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Thanks guys! I believe I am going to fabricate a slide bracket that I can mount to the frame and to the dash. This way I can slide the dash up or down on the brackets and can secure it. Thanks for the tip on the Dimpling Plyers, I just ordered a set. Those will help out greatly in other areas too.

Once I have it figured out and come up with a good technique I will post some pics.

Thanks for all the tips and help!

Kurt
My Mk3 Kit was ordered Online on February 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm!!!! Estimated Ship Date of 3/27/2010!!!! Delivered 4/11/2010 at 11:30 am!!!!!!!!
SC289FI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
iBuild

Eddie, I just printed out your message and cut out the 'IMPORTANT: Scott is correct" part and put it on my office door :-)
MKIII Roadster #5835; IRS, Team III Wheels, Kuhmo XS Tires
Anderson Performance 408 Engine; Levy G-Force T5 rebuilt by Hanlon Motorsports
Engine Installed July 4th, First start July 5th 2009
Metal Morphous paint completed on November 20th, 2010
Titled and legal July, 2011
Someday I Suppose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
We know what you're up to
FFCars Captain

I pretty much ripped off dv/dt's version of hidden dash mounts from this thread. The only difference is that I epoxied the brackets to the dash instead of bolting them.

Hidden Dash Mounts - Show Pics! Please!

Don Payne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
FFCars Major

You won't need to dimple the dash aluminum before riveting. The dash pad will cover them up just fine.

Greg
6243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
My Slide Bracket

Kurt, My slide bracket is adjustable front to back and vertically, bottom part is Aluminum and Dash part is Nylon. I apologize for the part details since I have a manual Milling Machine in my garage, but maybe something simpler could be done if you like the concept. I did use 2 screws though the vinyl on the sides with Nylon washers and decorative thin head allen SS screws...I think they look OK and it makes it super easy to remove the dash. Using Velcro on the hoop.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC289FI View Post
Thanks guys! I believe I am going to fabricate a slide bracket that I can mount to the frame and to the dash. This way I can slide the dash up or down on the brackets and can secure it. Thanks for the tip on the Dimpling Plyers, I just ordered a set. Those will help out greatly in other areas too.

Once I have it figured out and come up with a good technique I will post some pics.

Thanks for all the tips and help!

Kurt
3.1 IRS Complete Kit #6616, June 08 delivery; 347 stroker; TKO 500 Mid Shift; SAI & Bumpsteer Mods; Manual Rack;
" At 60 there is no time left to delay your Dreams "
SJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
Velcro works just fine.
Not for me. Used actual Velcro brand industrial 1" wide strip across the entire length of the dash hoop. The velcro to velcro stayed together just fine but the adhesive loosened in the heat of the sun and let my CF dash droop.

Jeff
Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text
Sorry...order got a little jumbled when Kodak Gallery migrated to Shutterfly

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread
Mk4 Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread
Mk4 Bodywork & paint thread
JKleiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Charter Member

I left an inch of extra material at the top of my dash just in case. That way if there is a gap the material covers it, if not it just tucks under the lip of the body.
Advertisement