AGR power steering rack - requires 1.8-2 gallon flow and 1,000 PSI - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

AGR power steering rack - requires 1.8-2 gallon flow and 1,000 PSI

I spoke with the engineer who designed the AGR rack. He confirmed that leaks are caused by too high of pressure. The racks are designed for 1.8 - 2 gallons of flow and 1,000 PSI.

Just thought I would post this for future forum searchers looking for data on the AGR rack.
CA_PI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Speed-crazed and Confused
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Is this why all of their pumps leak too?

Tossed my new 4000 mile AGR pump as it leaked from day one.

put on a 30 dollar junkyard salvage and no problems.

FFR 6459
Complete kit, IRS, Pin Drive, 408W, Tremec TKO-500, ISIS Power management, PS, hydroboost brakes, paint by Whitby's. ISIS serial # 001, 002 and 003.

Have bled a lot since she arrived....and currently hemorrhaging....but the friends I am meeting along the way sure make up for it.

Graduation Post
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthr...=graduate+6459
Build Pictures
http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k...bra%20Project/
akdreamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Their engineer should figure out why. I have delt with lots of power steering products, theirs should come with a bag of kitty litter.
FredK
FredK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

I talked to them about the issue of stock Ford pumps blowing out the racks they sell. I was told some Ford pumps put out over 1200 psi! After pricing their stuff and reading about problems I ordered a manual rack and called it done.
Delivered 04/11/10 7:30 pm Roller 05/08/10
Engine installed 08/07/10 First Start 02/19/11
Street Legal 06/13/11 at 4:30 pm! Graduation 1/1/12

Back up my hard drive? How do I put it in reverse?
3KCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I installed an AGR rack over a year and 3000 miles ago, not a drop leaked. I asked the AGR guys a ton of questions before buying and installing. I opted for a KRC pump, also perfect. It pays to do your homework.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_VA View Post
It pays to do your homework.
Can you please enlighten us dummies that didn't do our homework and assumed a mustang rack would work with a mustang pump?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Wade, I'm sensing a bit of hostility there. No offense intended.

I've read several posts where people are slamming the AGR rack about the leaking qualities. I for one haven't had a single drip and think the rack is great. I did call AGR a couple of times and spoke with their technical department, and one of the things I asked was about the amount of pressure they recommended (sorry, can't remember the exact specs now). Part of my homework led me to the decision to go with KRC for the pump, so I then called KRC's tech department and told them about my rack then they told me what pump would fill my need.

Call me a snob, but I didn't want an El Cheapo Ford pump and rack designed for a car almost twice as heavy as my Cobra. I wanted something designed just for my car where I wouldn't have to cut springs or use a Heigts (sp?) valve. After all the money I've spent on my car, an extra $700-800 for a proper PS setup seemed logical.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

The car was designed around El Cheapo Fords parts! Which seem to be very reliable and cost effective. Please note the success of FFR built on this principle. I was leaning towards PS and brakes and had a long discussion with a vendor thats has been in the FFR biz and seen it all. We came to the agreeement that so many people have never driven a old school performance car that they can't get used to its raw nature and want the creature comforts. Ok, fine I decided I wanted to be closer to the original intent of the car. Less clutter, weight and things to break seemed logical to me. I probably won't go for power windows and seat either.
Delivered 04/11/10 7:30 pm Roller 05/08/10
Engine installed 08/07/10 First Start 02/19/11
Street Legal 06/13/11 at 4:30 pm! Graduation 1/1/12

Back up my hard drive? How do I put it in reverse?
3KCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

When I built my car I used the AGR pump, march billet pulleys, braided SS lines, an AGR rack, and a heidt's valve too reduce assist and pressure. Not exactly an el cheapo setup. I went through two racks in a year and had lots of fluid in the pump area. I have also replaced several agr racks on other peoples cars who had various pumps.

I generally recommend cheap Autozone reman racks and have had no issues. Wade and I race our cars, and the conditions are severe. If you just cruise etc. then the AGR stuff possibly might not fail. It's expensive and is not very well made. It is the only rack I specifically advise against when someone buys our electric steering kit.
JMO
FredK

Last edited by FredK; 04-09-2010 at 02:19 PM..
FredK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I owe you guys an apology. My intent when I first posted was not offend, but actually to defend the bad press that AGR was getting on this forum. It sounds like AGR has let a lot of people down and doesn't consistantly make a good product. I can only attest to my experience so far, which is great. I can only hope that AGR has gotten their act together and improved their stuff and I won't have any problems in my car which is a purely street car (although I would love to try a track day or two).

After re-reading my earlier posts here, I can see where I was out of line and sounded very snobish. I know that FFR has had great success with the concept of utilizing donor Mustang component to create a world-class motorcar. I chose FFR because of their superior engineering and large existing customer base, but I didn't use any donor parts on my car, I bought everything new. My goal was to build the best car I could afford, so if that meant spending more money for (seemingly) higher quality parts, that's what I'd do. So, without any real world experience under my belt, I have to assume that a much more expensive PS pump and rack would be that much better. And not having driven any other Cobra besides mine, I can only base my decisions on what others tell me. I had read that the stock Mustang rack was twitchy and needed modifications to work well. I know I went a bit too far with the El Cheapo comment, and I know that comment hurt the feelings of those who had a perfectly good Ford rack and/or pump setup.

So, in a word, sorry.

Bill
Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

I have the AGR rack that was designed or should I say valved for these cars..I was told from the get go that 1100 psi was the max..My pump was tested and tuned for 900 psi..No problems so far but I've only gone around the block once so far in the go cart stage..LOL
Old 04-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

differing opinions

What I like about this forum is that everyone is willing to post their opinion although there is almost always someone that will disagree. We then get to read them all and decide what to do. Thanks for all the varying opinions.
CA_PI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Chamberlain View Post
Can you please enlighten us dummies that didn't do our homework and assumed a mustang rack would work with a mustang pump?
I guess this is the key question as it relates to the original post.

If AGR has designed their rack to fit a Ford Mustang, presumably powered by a Ford PS pump, why would they build it to handle 1,000 psi when they seem clear that many Ford pumps can produce more pressure than this?

Sean
Mk III partial SN95 donor, 351W stroked & poked to 396 c.i., custom EFI, 4 into 4's, 3link, 3.73, chrome FR500's, full bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, hydroboost, 5-lug, GT front, MK VIII/Cobra rear discs, painted by SRP, (fully) legal and driving! Graduating...?
canuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

OK guys, I'm going to chime in. I just finished a customer car and used the AGR (made for F5) and intended on using the Type II pump. However, the owner wanted nice bling pulleys to which I couldn't get what he needed for that pump. Thus, I used a stock Ford pump with bling. Now, I know the talk about leaks blah, blah, but the only issue I had was a twitchy feeling dead center at 60-70mph.

The result was a very "hands on car", something I nor the owner wanted. The remidy was installing a Heidts valve neatly on the car to dial in the feel. I don't think the cut spring method is a good idea so the valve went in. Now, there's no problems and the rack has not leaked a drop since day one.

I really think everyone has an issue one way or the other and all the p/s problems are not the same. My personal car has a stock pump with stock rack. I will be installing the non-used Type II on my car this year. Maybe then, I can remove the Heidts valve, but that will be an experiment and I can give results on my findings then.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck1 View Post
I guess this is the key question as it relates to the original post.

If AGR has designed their rack to fit a Ford Mustang, presumably powered by a Ford PS pump, why would they build it to handle 1,000 psi when they seem clear that many Ford pumps can produce more pressure than this?

Sean
Not only can they produce more than 1000 PSI they are spec'd to produce up to 1230 PSI and up to 2.6 gal/min according to the Ford shop manual.

Design for failure, well there's a plan!
dv/dt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Not Poor Quality

I have a reman Ford rack and an explorer pump that I got at a junkyard. I put a Heidts valve on it to dialed back just to the point of hard parking. System is great, no leaks. I wonder why someone would make a rack that would not stand the power of the stock pump without leaking. Does not seem to make sense.
Qualified old guy. Dad of Willspeed. 89 Donor.Mk. III IRS, 302,equal length headers, 65 mm throttle body 77 mm MAF,Kenne Bell Supercharger,Levy bump steer kit & Koni Shocks.Finish line nudge bars, Cobra Earl Trunk, FFMetal batbox and footbox,APE hardtop, Vintage A/C, Lucas windscreen washer. Detailed, painted, graduated. Driving, adding stuff.
sgspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement