Pipe exhaust out of the garage - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
BUCKEYE IN NC

Pipe exhaust out of the garage

I've heard that the plastic corrugated downspout drain-pipe from HD is the cheap way to go. Will it not melt on the sidepipes?
I'm thinking of installing dryer vents through the back walls, and attaching the hoses to the dryer vents with duct tape. (C*bra is on jack stands facing the garage door)
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Rich
PS - 24" of snow here (Northern Virginia) (9 AM - supposed to go on through the day and into the night) The snow is very heavy - does not plow - each shovel full weighs 20 lbs.
retownsendjr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member

You will need more than just pipe to get the exhaust out of your garage. Most systems like this use fans to pull the exhaust through the piping and push it outside. CO is a concern without fans.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Garage
Talking

it worked on a cheech and chong movie, open the window, find the jar of roaches and play "born to be wild" on heavy volume. oh and blow the fan in your face...we need a VIDEO too

MK3.1 #6945 her name is Buffy
p/u 04/04/09 roller 08/27/09
start-up Pearl Harbor Day 12/07/10
go-cart Memorial Day 2011
body on 11/11/11 Veterans Day
all legal except paint 02/12/12
372w handbuilt
BigLeo69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ohio C-car Club
FFCars Captain

Garage
Rich,

You need a fan extractor to really do this. At our work, in the shop zones, we have a whole CARMON exhaust system. It starts with a powerful exhaust fan mounted in a mechanical room, vented through the roof, with duct work going all the down to the hose reel mounted on the wall. The hose is usually 4"~6" diameter corrugated metal.

I would not recommend trying this yourself...CO poisoning can lead to death

If you want to run the car for a short period of time, crack the garage door, turn on a fan and point it from in front of your sidepipes towards the door, and don't overdo it. In fact, you can be a CO detector and install it in your garage.

Be safe,
Scott
MK3.1 #6583RD, Complete Kit - 4.6L DOHC, delivered 5/03/08, Graduation, July 1, 2010

SOLD to new owner 12/9/11

Complete Bodywork Progress Link
My Build Pictures
STL-Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Piping it out

Rich:

Lots of commercial garages use hose to pipe exhaust out of the shop without a suction fan. The pressure and velocity from the exhaust tends to suck air in at the end of the hose and they both go out the door. If you can bring fresh air in from outside by a fan it will help to push the fumes out.

We rigged up an exhaust setup on the AS car a few years ago by using aluminum dryer duct. I don't think it would make sense to use plastic sewer pipe. We found some high temperature aluminum tape that is used on furnace flues and can stand 300 degrees and makes a leak proof seal so exhaust gas is not getting into the garage. Home Depot has that high temp flue tape.

We made a connector out of .020 aluminum to connect to the car exhaust pipes and clamped it with 3 inch radiator hose clamps and ran it out to a metal wall dryer duct. We mostly did that so we could minimize the bitching from the neighbors about firing up a race car at 10-11 at night. Even a muffled race car sounds pretty loud in a quiet nieghborhood at that time of the night.

Ron
FFR Challenge car #4182SP Carbed 302, Holley 600CFM, E303 cam, T5, 3 link rear-3:55, Levy wheels, Kumho tires, Fire Safe fuel cell, Griffin race radiator, ISIS wiring system, MSD 6ALN NASCAR ignition, 85 Mustang distributor,
ROADRACER83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I tried attaching corrugated dryer ducting to the side pipes and that was a complete waste of time and money. Those things flapped around like snakes on hot coals and just ripped apart. You don't realize how much exhaust comes out until you try and contain it. Whatever you use needs some strength to handle the pressure pulses.

Mk III, 3 Link, 347 EFI, AFR heads, Trick Flow intake, x cam, 3.73 Gears, 42 lb. Injectors, Moates Quarterhorse, Full Width Roll Bar
PKingsley is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kriss Motors
FFCars Craftsman

CO2 detector

CO detector, under $20, loud alarm indicates a problem well before there is a dangerous contamination issue; mounts easily on ceiling or wall. Above is just one example of many products, usually battery powered.

TYPO: title should read "CO detector" ... whoops!
Graduate #72 class of 2009: non-donor, Boss 302, IRS, MassFlo EFI, vintage Ivy Green
NuBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

The real problem is the shape of the side pipes. You can't just slip a duct hose over the end, the opening is sideways. You'd have to have some kind of plenum.

Not worth the expense and effort, IMO. I just open the garage door and turn on a big fan.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
Dart 427W, Momar 8 Stack EFI, 600'ish hp, TKO, 3.55 TruTrac, Red with Ghost Flames. More fun than should legally be allowed.
Bob Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

I have my car on jack stands. When I want to let it run for a while I open the door and windows. I have a blower from a furnace that I set on the floor behind the car.It blows from the back of the garage toward the door.I start the car and leave the garage .Later I turn off the car and let the blower finish clearing out the garage.Not the best system, but it's better than nothing.I think two blowers would do much better.Roger
Old 02-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

here are some....

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCUQrQQwAA
tfnaaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

I open a back window or side door and of course keep the big garage door open and use a big fan for cross flow ventilation. I don't face the same weather conditions as you, it doesn't snow here yet alone get below 40F very often. I don't think the vent hose option would work too good for the same reason Bob C. mentions.
Advertisement