Speedometer sending unit - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Speedometer sending unit

I have a carb 302 t-5 with ffr elec speedo and ron francis wiring kit. What do I need to connect speedo, is there a cable that still attaches to the sending unit and are there supposed to be wired from the wiring loom that attach to the sending unit? Any pics or info would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

Last edited by trooper3164; 02-17-2010 at 02:42 AM..
trooper3164 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Connect one wire to ground and the other to the speedo input. Very simple. You may have to run a separate wire up to the speedo.
jack
jack@wavebusters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, do I need to put anything in where the reddish colored o-ring is, or do I just plug it?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Where did you get the sending unit? That particular one is supposed to be used with a cable driven unit and will leak trans fluid from where the cable would go in. If you got it at a Ford dealer then you can trade it with them for a unit that is meant to be used with electronic speedos (electronic dash like the T-Bird had). It is that exact same unit but it comes with a white plug that goes where the speed cable normally would. In my case it was actually cheaper so I got a refund!

Cheers, Rod
dv/dt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rod, it came with the complete kit from FFR.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

That is unfortunate. They should always send out the electronic dash version since you can always remove the plug and use it with a cable if you want but the other way around it's just a pain since Ford doesn't sell the plug separately. If you're freindly with a Ford dealer maybe they could do the swap for you.

Cheers, Rod
dv/dt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Your complete kit should also have come with an electric sending unit, Mine plugged right into my TKO, I don't know if this is the same for T5.

this gets wired as described and no there was no wiring in RF harness provided for this.
FFR 6639 3.1 Complete kit received 11/28/08, 1965 289 stroked to 347, custom undercar exhaust inside frame, 3 link, tko-600 , ebrake mod, heater w/fresh air intake, Corbeau LG-1 seats, custom vinyl interior. Registered 6/10, 1st Racetrack 9/29/10 (limerock), first AutoX 10/10/10. Painted Corvette Velocity Yellow 4/11
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 01:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK, I found the cable that wires into the sending unit and plugs into the back of the speedo. My question is do I need to plug the hole where that o-ring is? Thanks Mike
Old 10-21-2009, 01:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

The T5 speedo sending unit needs to have a gear installed to mesh with the gear on the output shaft of the transmission. Inside the speedo sending unit is a signal generator, it sends signals(pulses) to the speedo head, which interprets the pulses and reads out the speed. Most speedometer heads can be adjusted to compensate for different rear end ratios and give a correct speed reading. If it can't be adjusted, then different drive and/or driven gears may be required.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

You should have also got this gear with complete kit. I'm wiring different b/c using TKO and belive it will just work this wired electrically w/o cable??
FFR 6639 3.1 Complete kit received 11/28/08, 1965 289 stroked to 347, custom undercar exhaust inside frame, 3 link, tko-600 , ebrake mod, heater w/fresh air intake, Corbeau LG-1 seats, custom vinyl interior. Registered 6/10, 1st Racetrack 9/29/10 (limerock), first AutoX 10/10/10. Painted Corvette Velocity Yellow 4/11
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yep, I have the gear. Seems that I read somewhere that guys were sealing that hole with silicone. After looking it over I guess that maybe some fluid could escape. My question is, if this is for electronic why is there a hole for a cable also?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

On car with a cable this is used for the cruise control sense, to set the speed and maintain the speed.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

I don't have all that many many miles on the car but I have exactly the same unit as yours and it has never leaked a drop.
jack
jack@wavebusters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

There is another sending unit that will work better than the one you have. You can replace yours with the sending unit from an '86 TBird TurboCoupe. It doesn't have the cable plug in, only the two wire connector.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Reviving a thread with some associated & related questions ...

Mk4 complete kit with FFR Vintage Gauges (electronic) and using the Ron Francis harness. Trans is a T-5 with the S10 rear housing for the "mid-shift" mod. Tail housing is from a '93 S-10 5-spd.

Tail housing came to me with an "electronic pickup" and with a pigtail attached. Pick-up has two wires green with black tracer and purple with white tracer (photo attached).

My principle questions:
Can I wire my existing S10 'electronic pick-up' pigtail into the Ron Francis harness ... ? If "yes" which S-10 wires to which "RF harness" wires?
OR
Do I need pull the S10 'electronic pickup' from the trans and use the sending unit (FFR #14661) that came with the complete kit and it's pigtail?

Lastly, based on reading some Forum threads, if I need to transition to the FFR supplied sending unit, to avoid trans fluid leaking/loss, I'll need to plug the hole in the FFR sending unit where a speedo cable would have plugged in. (the hole with the red oil ring in the 2nd attached photo.

Some have apparently used silicon to plug the cable hole?

Is there something better absent being able to get a Ford OEM plug for the cable hole from a Ford dealer (which apparently can be difficult without buying the entire sending unit ... ).

Or if I can find one, should I just switch to a sending unit from an 86 T-bird Turbo Couple which apparently has only the electronic connector and NO mechanical cable connection?

Many thanks

Lynn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on trans - grn w:blk & purple w:wht.jpg (207.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg kit components.jpg (235.2 KB, 44 views)
FFR 7591 Anniversary Edition (#10 of 15)
Delivered: Sept '11,
1st Start & Go-Cart: April 2013,
Painted: November '13,
Completed, Licensed & Insured: March '14

Womens 427 Build Team Special Award - 2014 Huntington Beach Cruise In

1st start video (23 April 2013):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWplyizzPC4

1st go-cart video (24 April 2013): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3IZc1qgZcM
lynnhowlyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

The TBird sending unit will work if you have a speedometer drive gear on the output shaft of the transmission. I doubt that your trans has this and may have a tone ring, if the tone ring is present you will probably need the two wire S10 sending unit. My experience is with Classic Instruments gages and they just require one wire to the speedo head and the other wire to ground, it doesn't matter which one goes to ground. These two wires will need to be twisted together to avoid electrical interference. Your instruments may require a different wiring scheme. If no tone ring or speedo gear is present, you may have to get a GPS type speedo. I've heard of some using a front wheel ABS tone ring but I don't know anything about them.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

OK - here comes what's prolly a stupid question ....

The yellow ring (gear?) in the picture below was installed on the output shaft of the T-5 trans during the installation of the S-10 rear housing. It's positioned adjacent to the hole the S-10 'electronic pickup' is in.

Does that shed any light on which speedo sender I ought to be using .... the S-10 piece that came with the S-10 rear housing and etc. Or should I switch to the speedo (and gear) that come with the complete kit?

I did just notice that Speedhut is having a 15% off Christmas sale (ending tomorrow) which would make converting to a GPS-enabled speedo a less expensive (but still pretty costly) option IF either speedo sender that I've already got won't work.

Thanks

Lynn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on trans output shaft .....jpg (235.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by lynnhowlyn; 12-07-2012 at 03:26 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

That's a 7 tooth speedo drive gear. If the TBird sending unit will fit in the hole, all you will need is a driven gear to match your rear end ratio and tire size. connect the wires and your speedo will work. Most electronic speedo's can be calibrated at the head, or install the correct driven gear so that the speedo reads correctly.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Persons View Post
That's a 7 tooth speedo drive gear. If the TBird sending unit will fit in the hole, all you will need is a driven gear to match your rear end ratio and tire size. connect the wires and your speedo will work. Most electronic speedo's can be calibrated at the head, or install the correct driven gear so that the speedo reads correctly.
Thanks John, sounds like great news! If I understand it correctly, one of the two senders I currently own ought to work. And knowing that the electronic speedo has some degree of "top end/head unit" calibration capability, getting an exact driven gear match to tire size/rear end ratio may not be quite as critical.

To clarify, I don't currently have a T-bird sending unit and only referenced it due to a Forum posting I read indicating it (the T-bird sending unit) does NOT have a place to attach a mechanical cable - that it only has connect-ability for an electronic connector. The apparent advantage of such a configuration is that there's then no potential for trans fluid leakage from an unused mechanical cable connection "port".

Likewise the S-10 connector does NOT have mechanical cable connect-ability - and thus may be usable "as-is" (?)

If I switch to the FFR supplied connector - which does have a mechanical connection opportunity - any thoughts on the best way to "seal/plug-up" the mechanical cable connection "port" to avoid trans fluid leakage?

Lastly - does it matter how the wires are connected? Can they be connected "backwards"? (As an FYI - I plan to use Weatherpak connectors for this area since they are 'exterior' to the car and are thus exposed to the weather)

Thanks again John for your help and the sharing of your expertise. It is greatly appreciated!

Lynn

Last edited by lynnhowlyn; 12-07-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Filling the end of the sending unit with RTV will work to seal it. You should probably use the FFR sending unit or a TBird sending unit, as long as they fit and will seal in the S-10 transmission hole. You will need a Ford speedo driven gear and retaining clip for the sending unit, the one you need is dependent on the rear gear ratio and tire size. The reason for using the FFR or TBird sending unit is that it is unknown of the Chevy S 10 sending unit will accept the Ford speedo driven gear. For a 3.55 rear gear use a 20 tooth driven gear, fpor a 3.27 rear gear use a 19 tooth driven gear. The speedo head should be able to be adjusted to compensate for any tire size differences form stock. I use a 20 tooth speedo gear for 3.55 rear gears, using a 315/17 rear tire and it was dead on accurate.

You should have one terminal on your speedo head for the sending unit wire. cut to length two 18 ga. wires from the sending unit to the speedo head. Twist the wires together along their entire length. Be sure and give yourself plenty of length to work with. This will give you a "twisted pair" and help to prevent EMI/RFI from affecting the speedo signal. Attach one of the wires to the speedo head terminal and the other wire to a dedicated ground close to the speedo head. Try to route the wires away from any other wires or motors, especially any wires carrying a heavy current load. It doesn't matter which wire is grounded. I used a Weatherpack terminal at the transmission end.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Trooper,

It was painful for me to read the thread and you never got your question answered. I have the exact set up (T-5, Ron Francis harness, Autometer gauge). The two prong plug attaches to the sender. Snip the grey wire (they call this the low wire) and ground it. The one you ground is the one coming from the sender. The other side of this wire that you snipped, (the side coming from the harness) just seal it with heat shrink and secure it.
ANd now to your question on the sender. That little red plastic plug looking thing is just that. The hole is there for mfg purpose (for the shaft) and the plug just plugs it. I know it looks like something you remove and stick a cable in or something but it's not - I pulled mine apart to check. Doesn't cause any damage if you want to please your curiosity. You can Google "Autometer electronic speedo" and get schematics.
My P51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement