Interior Costs - Seats, Carpet - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Interior Costs - Seats, Carpet

I had originally planned on doing a tan interior, with leather seats, tan carpet, veneer dash, etc.

My build budget has gotten a little tighter, and I'm trying to decide if I should just put the stock black stuff in for now, and upgrade later. In making the decision, though, it's a little unclear to me what the costs actually are.

Can you guys share with me your costs for:

1. Decent carpet to cover floor and tranny tunnel?

2. Reupholstery costs for having a shop make new seat covers for the classic seats. (I realize this varies by location, but a general idea would be helpful.)

Thanks!
FFR#6407
Home 4/18/09 - Roller 12/7/09 - First Start 1/23/11
Body Work Official Start - 12/26/12 - Up to Date Body Work Posts on the Build Site - Delayed to to Swapping to 347 Stroker with Stacked Injections
Build Site
What I do to pay for it all - Web and App Development
Professional Auto Detailing, Vacation Rentals, Little of Everything
beartoothweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

I can help a little here. I just bought 8 running yards of Bentley carpet, nice stuff. Probably a little more than I need to do the whole car including trunk. Cost just under $500 delivered.
You might check with Stinson Pilot (Doug) on the veneer dash. He is meticulousin and did a really nice veneer dash. I believe it failed and he replaced it with vinyl.
If you do plan on future upgrade, I suspect that you could use the FFR carpet, supplied dash covering, and wind up with a nice interior at virtually no additional cost.
Many of us know about scaled back budgets these days. I vote for getting it on the road at the lowest cost and upgrading over the next several winters. (This is a do as I say, not as I do piece of advice).
Arch
Built to be driven. The mission statement for the build was - build a comfortable and fun long distance driving machine that is capable of spirited street driving and the occasional track outing.
Arch F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch F View Post
I can help a little here. I just bought 8 running yards of Bentley carpet, nice stuff. Probably a little more than I need to do the whole car including trunk. Cost just under $500 delivered.
You might check with Stinson Pilot (Doug) on the veneer dash. He is meticulousin and did a really nice veneer dash. I believe it failed and he replaced it with vinyl.
If you do plan on future upgrade, I suspect that you could use the FFR carpet, supplied dash covering, and wind up with a nice interior at virtually no additional cost.
Many of us know about scaled back budgets these days. I vote for getting it on the road at the lowest cost and upgrading over the next several winters. (This is a do as I say, not as I do piece of advice).
Arch
Great info Arch, thanks!

$500 for carpet definitely pushes me in a direction. Black is looking even more attractive!

I didn't realize SP's dash failed. Good to know. Any wood products here in Montana, thanks to our 10% humidity, don't do well, so that make make a big difference.

I'm hoping someone can chime in with the upholstery costs, just so I have the data.
FFR#6407
Body Work Official Start - 12/26/12 - Up to Date Body Work Posts on the Build Site - Delayed to to Swapping to 347 Stroker with Stacked Injections
Build Site
Old 09-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Kevin,

I have no idea on the costs. I can tell you upgrading the carpet makes a huge difference.

Let me add a different perspective to help you make your decision. As I know you have seen from some of my previous discussions, I am a big proponent of planning - starting with a build statement, goal, then driving down to the details (parts, vendor, $, etc.) You also probably know I am all about doing it right the first time - it usually saves time & money. Now, I understand budget and cash flows as well as anyone.

Now in your particular case, you are talking about wanting to upgrade your interior - dash, seats, carpet. These are items you have already (sure you can sell them off, but honestly you are just trying to recoupe whatever money you can). So really, if you delay doing this upgrade - you are not spending much more (because you put it off).

Seats - The seats you just pull out, take the covers off and replace with custom covers.

Carpet - The carpet is a little more work - but if you don't go crazy gluing/taping/securing the carpet, it should not be too hard to pull up. So timewise it is not too bad and cost wise, you are only out the extra adhesive material.

Dash - The dash is little more work labor wise. Again, you have the FFR materials (other than adhesive). Now if you change the dash to wood or something, you might have to pull the body (even more labor)

Other - Changing the color. Something to think about in delaying your interior upgrade. Where you going to do things like door panels or matching colored seatbelts/harness? If so, you might want to just put off those, otherwise you will end up spending twice as much.

All in all, I think upgrading the interior materials is a good candidate to postpone. On my plans, I list whether each item or mod is a candidate for being postponed - things like cobra badges, bumper hoops, SS sidepipes, Schroth ASM belts, swaybars etc. Items/mods like footboxes, bodywork, frame mods, IRS, etc are best done during the build.

Planning a mid-life Cobra, not a mid-life crisis
KC Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

I also got the Bentley carpet, in gray, and had it installed professionally for $1400. I am happy with the results. The edges that show were bound and look, well, professional. I'm not bragging here, just saying I was happy with the results. I would post a picture but I'm not good at that stuff, don't know why.

Bob
BOB SCHAEFER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

I saw Bob's interior last Saturday and he is understating how good it looks. The little details do make a difference.

Some advice I am trying to follow from Rad22 was that after all of the work, mofifications, powdercoating, upgrading, etc. everything else on the car, the only thing most folks see are the paint and the interior.
Arch
Built to be driven. The mission statement for the build was - build a comfortable and fun long distance driving machine that is capable of spirited street driving and the occasional track outing.
Arch F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

All very good advice. Really liked how Rich put it, thanks for that, I think you put it all into perspective for me, and it really echos what I'm already thinking.

Point taken, Arch, about the interior and paint being what people usually focus on.

What I might think about doing is upgrading the black carpet for now, and then worry about the other stuff later. We're going to be building a 2nd one for my hot wife, so not only do I have to budget for my car, but for hers as well, so we'll see how it plays out!

Thanks all!
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

First of all, be careful about telling these guys your wife is hot. Better off that they think you're bach'n it! They'll HOUND you for pictures.

Second, I just re-did the carpet in mine for $56 - minus the tranny tunnel and the back wall). Add those couple things and you might be in it for $150. It was the best quality carpet they had. It wasn't "Bently" carpet, but I'm sure it would be hard to tell the difference.

Also, the forum vendor www.acroadsterinteriors.com already has the seat cover "pattern", so if you could talk them into using a tan vinyl, I think the seat covers would be around $300. Dash vinyl would be pretty cheap too. Door panels really do finish off the interior, but they're not necessary to get you down the road. Just make sure you buy extra vinyl so that when you do want door panels, they'll match.

And as Arch mentioned - it's actually surprising how many people sort of check out the outside of the car and then stop and study the interior. I don't know if they're dreaming what it would be like to sit in the driver's seat and look out of your car or what, but it always boggles my mind why they'd spend so much time looking at the interior of a car when it was the exterior that caught their eye to begin with! Weird I think...

Seems like doing a carpet upgrade now would be a great idea. Everything else can come out real easy for a re-do later on. Dash is a little harder with the gauges, but it's really not all that big of a deal and I don't see why you'd ever have to pull the body to deal with the dash. After all, you don't even install the dash until after the body is on...

-Mike
Mike_M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Mike:

Where did you source the carpet? Lots of posts around about Lowe's Marine grade stuff being nice looking/matching, and holding up, so that's an option, but would love to here where you got yours.

I've already contacted those guys you got your stuff from, but I can't get them to come back to me. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't have tan as a standard color...I mean, you can order violet, but not tan? Maybe you can help me get in touch with them since you have an "in?"

If I could get the covers for $300 or so, and if I had to upgrade the carpet anyway, then the only additional cost would be the dash/door/tunnel vinyl, which shouldn't be that much.

I'm still leaning towards going all black, and put the $400+ aside so I can shell out those $100 bills you told me about that come towards the end of the build...

The important thing is to "plan" for the upgrade, so use velcro or doublesided tape instead of cement on the carpet, that sort of thing.

Thanks for the info!

BTW, I'm contractually obligated to refer to Michelle as my hot wife...she had it written into the marriage license.
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

I got mine from a wholesale place in Portland here. I'll pm you. I don't know how they handle online purchases for "retail", but I've never had a problem walking into their wholesale place and paying cash for my stuff.

Actually, I just looked on their website and see that they will sell to non-commercial accounts. So try www.perfectfit.com I think I got their 9001-72 black carpet, but you might call them first to verify that's their highest quality auto carpet they sell... You can pick it up next time you're in Portland (this spring?) :-)

-Mike
Old 09-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

First of all, I agree with Arch & Rad22 - paint and interior are what people see. Do not skimp or cut corners.

Another thing - price is not everything - but you do tend to get what you pay for. Bentley is closer to $56/yd in price than $56 to do the whole interior. It is incredible - plush. You really need to feel it. I suggest you check out the carpet in upper end cars & exotics, visit a high end auto upholstry shop and check out samples of their carpet. The interior is basically carpet seats & door panels.

Kevin, something else you might consider is a tu tone interior. If you search the galleries, probably in the interior I have seen black seats with gray carpet and tan seats with black dash/carprt/door panels - looked very, very sharp. In other words, you could do the carpet and go with stock black seats, then recover the seats later, when funds are available.

Mike_M - too late, have seen her and I have to agree with how he addresses her.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Wildcat View Post
First of all, I agree with Arch & Rad22 - paint and interior are what people see. Do not skimp or cut corners.

Another thing - price is not everything - but you do tend to get what you pay for. Bentley is closer to $56/yd in price than $56 to do the whole interior. It is incredible - plush. You really need to feel it. I suggest you check out the carpet in upper end cars & exotics, visit a high end auto upholstry shop and check out samples of their carpet. The interior is basically carpet seats & door panels.

Kevin, something else you might consider is a tu tone interior. If you search the galleries, probably in the interior I have seen black seats with gray carpet and tan seats with black dash/carprt/door panels - looked very, very sharp. In other words, you could do the carpet and go with stock black seats, then recover the seats later, when funds are available.

Mike_M - too late, have seen her and I have to agree with how he addresses her.
Do you guys know what the total yardage of carpet that you need is? I can't imagine it's much, but it would be nice to know.

I'll have to check out the gallery, I've looked at it 100's of times, but never for that specificity, so I can't remember seeing any dual tones. I have a bunch of tan interior Ferrari pics though, and I think it has black carpet, so the two tone definitely works.

I have tan leather in my suburban, and really, it's hard to keep clean. Granted, I won't be going through the drive through with the kids in the roadster, but still...

More investigation to be done, I guess.

Thanks for the comment about my hot wife, she definitely is, and I WAY over married!
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
I got mine from a wholesale place in Portland here. I'll pm you. I don't know how they handle online purchases for "retail", but I've never had a problem walking into their wholesale place and paying cash for my stuff.

Actually, I just looked on their website and see that they will sell to non-commercial accounts. So try www.perfectfit.com I think I got their 9001-72 black carpet, but you might call them first to verify that's their highest quality auto carpet they sell... You can pick it up next time you're in Portland (this spring?) :-)

-Mike
This appears to be their next grade up...luxury vs. oem quality. Still a pretty good deal though. Can you hand deliver it?

http://www.perfectfit.com/15270/1540...--72-wide.html
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 09-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

Yeah that's it. I remember $29 something a yard and I think I bought 2 yards.

I probably could deliver it or have it delivered. I have some left if you want a sample.

-Mike
Old 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Yeah that's it. I remember $29 something a yard and I think I bought 2 yards.

I probably could deliver it or have it delivered. I have some left if you want a sample.

-Mike
I'm trying to see if they'll ship me a couple of samples of each. The 9400 stuff is 1/3 more per yard, but at 2 yards, that's not bad.

I'll probably carpet the trunk too, so I'll need a little more.

I need some templates of all of this stuff...I wish you would have just left your car with me for the winter...would have made it easier to measure!

FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Tan might be a little harder to keep clean, but it will be a whole lot cooler. Think how hot black gets in a car with a roof shading it, now imagine it in direct sun - ouch!

Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

Oh, you'll need more than 2 yards to carpet your car. 2 yards did my footbox floors, and the inside sides of my footboxes. I left the stock stuff behind the pedals and on the outside sides of the footboxes (harder to see and you can't tell it's different carpet) The 72" length is nice, but I'd guess you'd need more like 5 yards? You'll just have to measure to be sure. Don't you have the stock carpet? There's your templates. You might need to pre-install that and cut a few spots here and there to fit better, but then use those to cut the "new" carpet. Maybe you could lay your stock carpet out on the floor to see how much you'll need.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Oh, you'll need more than 2 yards to carpet your car. 2 yards did my footbox floors, and the inside sides of my footboxes. I left the stock stuff behind the pedals and on the outside sides of the footboxes (harder to see and you can't tell it's different carpet) The 72" length is nice, but I'd guess you'd need more like 5 yards? You'll just have to measure to be sure. Don't you have the stock carpet? There's your templates. You might need to pre-install that and cut a few spots here and there to fit better, but then use those to cut the "new" carpet. Maybe you could lay your stock carpet out on the floor to see how much you'll need.
Yep, I learned that after I replied. Looks like 5 yards for the cockpit, and another 2.5 for the trunk (trunk won't get the good stuff.)

What I'd really like to see is how the $30/yard stuff compares to the $50 bentley stuff (trying to get my hands on some of that now...)
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 09-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
FFCobra Master Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

When first looking at the FFR carpet I was disappointed. I took it to an upholstery shop and they bound the edges on certain pieces for 30 cents a foot. It made a HUGE difference.
Doug

Old 09-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

DFRESH - Good idea ! Finished edges would definitely help the appearance...especially around the door.

Kevin, I bought this built car a few months ago...so I can't really answer your question. But I do get a lot compliments and attention on my interior...here's a pic.

Good luck !

Pig

"Platinum-Level III - Master Automotive Ignoramus"
Pigfarm70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigfarm70 View Post
DFRESH - Good idea ! Finished edges would definitely help the appearance...especially around the door.

Kevin, I bought this built car a few months ago...so I can't really answer your question. But I do get a lot compliments and attention on my interior...here's a pic.

Good luck !

Pig
That's funny...I literally just saved that pic to my hard drive this morning. I think I'd consider that to be "camel" vs. tan, right? I really like that...

KD
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #22 (permalink)

Talking

Camel would not be a bad name...I think I see this referred to as "saddle" color more often though. A little more brown than many of the other tan interiors, some of the tan's seem to be pushing a cream color almost....

I like this color quite a bit...it is ABSOLUTELY much cooler than black interior, but if you are in Montana...you will probably need the black so that you can absorb every ray of heat possible ! Do you guys even have a Summer there ??? That's sounds almost as bad as when I lived in the U.P of Michigan for 8 years !!

Just Southern states for me now...

Good Luck Kevin !

Pig

PS - The vinyl covered tunnel cover is what I like best compared to many others, I think it gives a cleaner more finished look to the interior.

"Platinum-Level III - Master Automotive Ignoramus"
Pigfarm70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Big Sky Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigfarm70 View Post
Camel would not be a bad name...I think I see this referred to as "saddle" color more often though. A little more brown than many of the other tan interiors, some of the tan's seem to be pushing a cream color almost....

I like this color quite a bit...it is ABSOLUTELY much cooler than black interior, but if you are in Montana...you will probably need the black so that you can absorb every ray of heat possible ! Do you guys even have a Summer there ??? That's sounds almost as bad as when I lived in the U.P of Michigan for 8 years !!

Just Southern states for me now...

Good Luck Kevin !

Pig

PS - The vinyl covered tunnel cover is what I like best compared to many others, I think it gives a cleaner more finished look to the interior.
Good info, thanks. It seems to be an orange tint instead of a white tint like some of the "creamier" stuff you describe.

Ferrari's use a darker version of that tone.

Yes, we do need the heat here, but it'll get and stay above 90 during the day for at least a month...of course, it's 40 at night...but, the kicker here, which is totally against black seats is that my house is at 4600 feet, so the suns rays are way stronger (less atmosphere). You can get a sunburn in about 10 minutes...I think I spend $200 on sunscreen this summer.

Great info, thanks all!
FFR#6407
Build Site
Old 10-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

carpet

carpet piping
Tremec
dlotz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Caress of Steel

A local upholsterer quoted me $600 to do the interior in a nicer carpet (gray) and $600 to re-cover my Street Performers in a durable pleather. I'll probably go that route.
Joe Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Charter Member

Pigfarm - that interior looks awesome - saved to my interior folder!!

CobraDVM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement