Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Unveiled: Top Secret UBERCOBRA- New Vids pg 4

75K views 207 replies 135 participants last post by  glastron351 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, OK, I’m being pressured and rushed by a few guys to hurry up and post, so here goes… Warning: long posts ahead, serialized for your reading annoyance!
Many of you have heard or read about my early 4.6 modular-powered MKIII car, built back in 2004. I have lifelong memories of the guys I met, the fun of the two build parties, and working on the car night and day. I blew my original timeline, but I had the time of my life doing it.

Just a bit of history, and I’ll try to leave out most of the bitterness… Some of you are also aware of the Moroso oil pan issues which have plagued 4.6 builds. In no uncertain terms, the first two or three pans provided were defectively designed and often defectively manufactured. At last count, more than a half-dozen engines have been ruined by oil starvation attributable to that pan design. FFR keeps redesigning the pan while not admitting a problem, but most of the wise guys here have looked to Richard Oben and Champ Pans for a safe pan design. Good move, guys – please keep supporting the guy that worked to design and produce that pan for us!

After having seen Paul Westerbeck’s engine puke its guts out, and one or two others as well, I was nervous. My car was never drag-stripped, tracked, autocrossed, or otherwise. True to my build plan, it was a weekend cruiser. Even so, last summer I began developing an ugly rod knock in the engine. I pulled down the (third) oil pan, and saw just what I suspected – spun bearings, loose enough to wiggle the connecting rods on the crank by hand. A used oil analysis confirmed the diagnosis, with unbelievable readings on lead and other metals used in the bearings.

I decided the car was unsafe to operate and pulled it off the road – I didn’t want to have the Westerbeck Engine Experience on a Houston highway or around my neighborhood. I could have dropped another 4.6 engine in quickly and easily, and by that time there was even a pan I would trust.

But if you’re taking the car all apart and you have a little budget, why not build it back the way you want it? Or better yet, why not go all-out and build something that no one has ever done with a Factory Five before. Lots of guys like to talk about the chassis as a “blank canvas,” and I decided to take my chances. A torch and a welder were added to my tool collection, along with some new pipe and tube, and I started making some changes. Meanwhile, I sourced a new (used) engine, and went completely through it to make sure everything was tight and so on. I also kept it bone stock, because I trust the OEM to have gotten it right. You’ll see why…shortly.

I made the frame modifications necessary to fit the new engine and OEM transmission in the chassis myself. Some new tubing was added to restore strength where other tubes and sub-assemblies had to be cut or modified. A custom billet aluminum driveshaft adapter was sourced to mate the non-Ford tranny to a slip-joint driveshaft and the 8.8” Ford solid axle rear. The original defective Bilsteins up front were replaced with the FFR-supplied Koni coilovers. New engine and transmission mounts were welded to the frame, and the driveline was bolted down solid.

Now, I’m not totally stupid… I learned the first time that engine wiring is not my forte. OEM wiring was out of the question, so I called our friend and expert Wayne Presley. He prescribed an Electromotive TEC3R control system to run the engine, and of course he is equipped to actually make up the harness and do the dyno tuning to perfect everything. I took the car to him over the 4th of July weekend. He asked for eight weeks.

Of course, like any good project, I had a big case of “scope creep.” Given the work I have seen Wayne do on cars for some of you, I told him to go all-out and fabricate an intercooled twin-turbo system for the car. Wayne never flinched – he just got to work with his welder, built exhaust headers, sourced turbos, welded up a beautiful custom aluminum intake to my design requests, and more. I can cram an engine and a transmission in a chassis, but I knew I wouldn’t regret having a pro do the hard work for me!

True almost to the day, I picked the finished car up just before Labor Day and trailered it back to East Texas. (I’m in Houston now, but am in the process of relocating to Tyler, for those of you that know the state a little bit.)

So…next post, let’s tell you what the car is and show you a few pictures…

See less See more
#109 ·
just curious, how much does the V12 / 6 speed combo weigh?

#112 ·
Great re-build, I like the enginuity. I love the sound though I have to say I think the sound would be more at home in a GTM.

Good job guys!!!! :thumbup:

#114 ·
Very cool build. Love the concept and the completion. Nice work Wayne and John!
Doug

#115 ·
One of a Kind

That looks great, love the innovation, the workmanship, the dedication to keep it secret until it was ready and the self confidence to do it your way.

Regards, Rick.

#116 ·
I was just incredulous when I read this...... I was expecting to see a confession to photoshopping halfway down the page..

That is one seriously silly, irresponsible, insane and ambitious build. Masterful execution, deranged conception, PT Barnum-esque presentation.

*drool*

#119 ·
Makes me giggle. In a manly German way of course :)
That is insane. Too cool ... and well done!

#120 ·
OK, hats off .... blown way the fluff off ..... nice job —big time .... don't want to be the guy that takes the jam out of your donut but —someone needs to .... you should take the 427 badges off the car .... they will never do it justice .... cause that was a lot more work than stuffing in a big block V8 .... and a bunch more creative .... a first ....

over-all 11 out of 10 .........

Man, I hope removing those badges does not mess up the paint .... ;)

Lol ..... good on ya!!!!!!

MKIII.1, überpowered S/C SVT Cobra 4.6L

#121 ·
Would be funny if you had six pipes coming out of the body on each side instead of four, but that would be a lot of work.
M-Power rules.

#123 ·
John,

How did you do it? I have looked in the FFR build manual 10 times and I can not find where it tells you how to install a BMW V10 !

I could not resist that given other recent threads! :devil2:
That's not in there, only the instructions for V12 are in it... :D

#124 ·
that's just crazy sick!!

#126 ·
Wow - that's really cool!! I'd like to hear it in person.

#132 ·
Sweet...I love the "this never gets old" comment.... classic

#133 ·
Car looks great John. Glad it turned out just like you imagined

So when do I get my ride? you going to bring it down to Victoria?

#135 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dax Cobra BMW V12

Gisteren heb ik per ongeluk keek naar je forum. Ik ontdekte dat ik niet de enige die een Cobra gebouwd met een BMW V12-motor.

John gefeliciteerd met uw V12 project. Vooral de turbo's indruk maken.

Waarschijnlijk zullen er een aantal fouten schrijven, maar ik doe mijn best. Ik woon in Nederland (Holland) in Europa.

* Ik bouwde een DAX-Cobra-replica met de techniek van een BMW 750i. Ik heb bijna alle onderdelen van de donor auto gebruikt in de Cobra. Dit gaf mij een zeer betrouwbare auto, want alles bij elkaar hoort en wordt gecoördineerd. Sinds 2007, mijn project is legaal op de weg. Als iemand wil meer informatie over mijn project wil ik uit te leggen.

Ik dacht dat ik ben de enige in de wereld met deze motor in een Cobra.: Huh:

English translation:

Yesterday I accidentally looked at your forum. I discovered that I am not the only one built Cobra with a BMW V12 engine.

V12 John congratulations on your project. Especially the turbo's impression.

Will probably write some mistakes, but I do my best. I live in Netherlands (Holland) in Europe.

* I built a DAX-Cobra-replica technique with a BMW 750i. I have almost all parts of the donor car used in the Cobra. This gave me a very reliable car, because everything belongs together and coordinated. Since 2007, my project is legally on the road. If anyone wants more information about my project I want to explain.

I thought I'm the only one in the world with this engine in a Cobra.

#136 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gisteren heb ik per ongeluk keek naar je forum. Ik ontdekte dat ik niet de enige die een Cobra gebouwd met een BMW V12-motor.

John gefeliciteerd met uw V12 project. Vooral de turbo's indruk maken.

Waarschijnlijk zullen er een aantal fouten schrijven, maar ik doe mijn best. Ik woon in Nederland (Holland) in Europa.

* Ik bouwde een DAX-Cobra-replica met de techniek van een BMW 750i. Ik heb bijna alle onderdelen van de donor auto gebruikt in de Cobra. Dit gaf mij een zeer betrouwbare auto, want alles bij elkaar hoort en wordt gecoördineerd. Sinds 2007, mijn project is legaal op de weg. Als iemand wil meer informatie over mijn project wil ik uit te leggen.

Ik dacht dat ik ben de enige in de wereld met deze motor in een Cobra.: Huh:

English translation:

Yesterday I accidentally looked at your forum. I discovered that I am not the only one built Cobra with a BMW V12 engine.

V12 John congratulations on your project. Especially the turbo's impression.

Will probably write some mistakes, but I do my best. I live in Netherlands (Holland) in Europe.

* I built a DAX-Cobra-replica technique with a BMW 750i. I have almost all parts of the donor car used in the Cobra. This gave me a very reliable car, because everything belongs together and coordinated. Since 2007, my project is legally on the road. If anyone wants more information about my project I want to explain.

I thought I'm the only one in the world with this engine in a Cobra.
How about posting some photos!

Dutch "Wat dacht je van detachering enkele foto's!"

#137 · (Edited by Moderator)
The world gets smaller every day. I knew there was a build underway using the 750 as a donor -- I think it even used the BMW IRS, which I did not use on my build. There used to be a build log at "Johan and Sean's E32" website, but it seems to be down right now. I never could find pictures of a finished car there -- but maybe it was yours? I know Dax did a lot of Jag V12 builds, but yours is probably the only BMW I'm aware of.

I was last in Holland about seven years ago. If you ever pass through Texas, give me a call and come for a ride in the twin-turbo version -- I'd be glad to meet "that one other guy."

Hey, Wayne, can you translate this back to Dutch for our new member? Too dang funny!

Cheers, John

De wereld wordt kleiner elke dag. Ik wist dat er een bouwen aan de gang met de 750 als donor - Ik denk dat het zelfs de gebruikte BMW IRS, die ik niet gebruiken op mijn te bouwen. Er was vroeger een log te bouwen in "Johan en E32 Sean's" website, maar het lijkt te zijn van nu. Ik heb nooit kon vinden foto's van een afgewerkte auto daar - maar misschien was het jouwe? Ik weet Dax deed veel Jag V12 bouwt, maar jou is waarschijnlijk de enige BMW Ik ben me bewust van.

Ik was laatst in Nederland ongeveer zeven jaar geleden. Als je ooit doorheen Texas, geef me een gesprek en komen voor een ritje in de twin-turbo versie - Ik zou blij zijn om te voldoen aan "dat een andere vent."

He, Wayne, kunt u dit terug vertalen naar het Nederlands voor onze nieuwe member?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.