Heater Hose Routing and Bracket ? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Heater Hose Routing and Bracket ?

I'm nearing completion of my I**2 Million+ system install and am ready for the "final" restart of the car. One of the last things I want to do is finalize the routing of the heater hoses. I'm using a Whitby cube heater mounted in the center of the firewall directly behind the engine. With the 351W and the Ford aluminum intake, I need to run both the heater supply and return hoses down the passenger side of the engine bay.

If you can follow this, I'm considering running both hoses in parallel (in a more "formal" way) from the water pump (WP) and front intake port directly over to the 3/4" frame rail to hard elbows, directly along the frame rail to rear hard elbows, across to the heater, to the final (soft) elbows that would mate them with the heater core. One problem with this is that my wiring harness to the front runs along the outside of the top PS 3/4" frame rail, so I don't want it to directly contact the heater hoses. I'm thinking I could fab an aluminum bracket plate (say 3-4" high and 18" long), rivet it to the engine side of the 3/4" frame member, and clamp or zip-tie the hoses to the plate. This would help stabilize the hoses and shield the wiring harness at the same time.

Has anyone done anything like this ? Can anyone suggest any pre-fabbed brackets for this purpose ? Pics ?

Sherrell
#F5R1004921RD MKIII Delivered 6/21/05; First Start 6/14/08; Go-Kart 8/2/08 No-donor, carbed 351W/400+hp, 3-link, Forte LCAs, CNC M/C, FFMetal Ftboxes & Firewall, I**2 elec, 15" Team-III wheels, SC Dash, Leather Seats, Ford Tuxedo Black Metallic / Hyundai Extreme Blue Metallic Stripes

Last edited by Sherrell; 08-05-2009 at 01:51 AM..
Sherrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

I did something similar but not as fancy as you describe. Made-4-you makes some nice plastic clamps that can bolt directly to the 3/4 frame or stand free.

https://www.made4uproducts.com/cart/...hp?prod=20-622

In my case I have a single hose running from the water pump to the heater
I have two pieces of hose that connect to the heater valve near the heater
I wandered around in the back of the local auto zone to find hoses with right angles and the overall length I needed.

I figured the more joints, the more likely it will leak or blow off at the worst possible moment.

Hope this helps.
Arch
Built to be driven. The mission statement for the build was - build a comfortable and fun long distance driving machine that is capable of spirited street driving and the occasional track outing.
Arch F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Anyone else ???
#F5R1004921RD MKIII Delivered 6/21/05; First Start 6/14/08; Go-Kart 8/2/08 No-donor, carbed 351W/400+hp, 3-link, Forte LCAs, CNC M/C, FFMetal Ftboxes & Firewall, I**2 elec, 15" Team-III wheels, SC Dash, Leather Seats, Ford Tuxedo Black Metallic / Hyundai Extreme Blue Metallic Stripes
Sherrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

I ran mine along the passenger side valve cover. Beteen valve cover and intake.
Used a couple of,think they were Mr. Gasket spark plug wire looms. Trimed off most of the bracket. Then fastened it to the valve cover bolt,like yo would if useing it as a wire loom.
Once I wraped the heater hose in the plastic corricated loom. Not noticable at all.
My heater core is on the passenger side,but factory hose's did run along passenger side valve cover originally.

Have seen pics on here. Sorry for not remembering name. However they made a solid pipe that fastened to oil pan's rail bolts. So hose ran from intake and water pump.
Down to "pipe" on oil pan.
Along lenth of oil pan then up the back of engine to heater core.
Cleaned up engine compartment nicelly
hind sight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

HS might be thinking of me. I made a plenum out of materials from the hardware store to route my heater hoses down to the area under the header, just over the motor mount. Here are a couple of pics.

Seems to work fine, although I only have about a hundred miles on the car since it was finished. Note that I ended up putting two hose clamps on each connection on the plenum to stop the hoses from getting spit off under pressure. If I made it again I would put a short rivet in the end of each tube about a quarter inch from the end, to give the hose clamps something to bump up against.

Chris.
Advertisement