Vintage 1965-66 AC colors - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kriss Motors
FFCars Craftsman

Vintage 1965-66 AC colors

This is the list I've compiled for period-correct AC Cobra (British factory) standard color options in 1965-66:

• Raven Black - R-M A-946, Ditzler/PPG 9000 and 9300 [same as 1964-67 Mustang color]
  • Wimbledon White - Ford 1619-A, R-M A-1633, Ditzler/PPG 8378, Dupont 4480 [same as 1964-67 Mustang color]
  • Guardsman Blue - Ford 1622-A, R-M A-1630, Ditzler/PPG 12832, Dupont 4483 [same as 1964 Mustang color]
  • Silver - A-1784 [same as 1965-66 Ford/Lincoln Silver Mink Metallic]
  • Rangoon Red - R-M A-1440R, Ditzler/PPG 71243 [same as 1965 Mustang color]
  • Charcoal - R-M A-1786, Ditzler/PPG 32390 [same as 1966 Ford/Lincoln Charcoal Frost]
  • Ivy Green - R-M A-1738, Ditzler/PPG 34308 [same as 1966 Mustang color]
  • Maroon - A-1941-F custom mix [similar to Vintage Burgundy]
Any corrections/improvements/suggestions?
Graduate #72 class of 2009: non-donor, Boss 302, IRS, MassFlo EFI, vintage Ivy Green
NuBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

I believe they offered a yellow (from what I heard/read). Not sure of the code though.

Planning a mid-life Cobra, not a mid-life crisis
KC Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
GWL
FFCars Master Craftsman

Nothing is as simple as it seems.

Iíve copied the below from the book, Original AC Ace and Cobra by Rinsey Mills, Bay View Books, 1990, page 92.

Note the note below that states that the first 63 cars left the factory unpainted.

I added the words Car Body, Interior and Chassis# for clarity but the rest below is copied from the book:

427 Cobra Colour Schemes

A reduced range of colours was used for these cars. They are listed along with the chassis number when first used.

Car Body----------Interior--------Chassis #
Red-----------------Black----------CSX3102
Blue----------------Black---------- CSX3105
Green----- --------Black---------- CSX3106
Black---------------Black---------- CSX3109
Grey----------------Black---------- CSX3112
Silver Grey--------Black-----------CSX3113
White--------------Black---------- CSX3116
Vineyard Green--Black---------- CSX3153

Dashboard and carpets were black.
The first series of 427 cars, CSX 3001 to CSX 3063 were not painted by the factory. Of the second series sent out with bodies, only two were unpainted but with black leather, those were CSX 3101 and CSX 3127.

One must deduce that the unpainted cars were then painted by Shelby American(SA). The list above must then have come from SA and not from the factory in England.

427 Cobra Cars stated to leave the AC factory in Oct. of 1964 and by April, 1965 the unpainted cars had been shipped. The rest except as noted, I'm guessing were then painted in England. 306 total 427's were made according to the above book and sent to the US.

Interesting to note the AC factory continued to produce an AC 289 Sports from 1966 through 1969. 27 were made of which the US got 5 with most of the rest staying in the UK. These were numbered with COB and COX chassis #'s.

George

Picked up Mk. 4 Roadster - 3-5-10

'75 Porsche Targa Carrera - Sold
'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold
GWL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Rich

I concure on the yellow. At the Knotts all Ford in 04' (I think) there was a gentelman with a yellow unrestored unrepainted 289. The car had been covered with blankets plywood etc for decades in somones back yard. The current owner had gone out of his way not to restore anything that wasn't falling off or posing an immediat safety hazard. There were plenty of cracks, scratches dings etc in the paint.
From the consistant condition of everything looking equally worn and weathered it seems at least likely that this was the origional color.
It was interesting that with all the really nice Cobras there that this was drawing the most attention.

John
Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

What about the stripe colors? I've also heard most came without stripes and were added later by dealers. Is this true?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kriss Motors
FFCars Craftsman

My understanding is that the street versions, which was over 75% of total production, only came in solid colors.
Graduate #72 class of 2009: non-donor, Boss 302, IRS, MassFlo EFI, vintage Ivy Green
NuBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
GWL
FFCars Master Craftsman

Yellow Car not a '65 or '66

NuBlue stated: This is the list I've compiled for period-correct AC Cobra (British factory) standard color options in 1965-66:

Note the above the question was about '65-'66 cars which were mostly 427's. As I noted there was a continued production of AC 289 Sports edition of which 5 came to the US from '66 to '69. It is my guess that these 289 cars were probably not ordered by Shelby American.

I found that Yellow car you may be talking about. It is CSX2307 listed as a 1964, 289cu.in. car.

However, note in the article below the car used to be "Red".

"Offenhauser repainted the car immediately-I guess he just didn't want a red one-and drove it until 1975, then parked it. Outside. Under a tarp."

Article: http://www.motortrend.com/features/1...289/index.html

Also, remember, that 63, 427 cobra's left the factory unpainted. The list above, in my previous post, I speculated were Shelby colors as there are specific colors listed next to specific cars that came from the factory unpainted.

The problem is also going to be hard to determine as many of these cars have been repainted as the yellow car above.

George

'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold
Old 07-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Repaint is always an option. I recall a story with one of the first cars that Shelby showed to reports one day...repainted it that night and showed it to different reporters the next day...to give the impression they had more than one car. Remember who we are talking about here, put nothing past him.

I recall reading about that yellow 289, but the one I am thinking of I am pretty sure was a 427 and it looked in very good shape. Again, very possibly a repaint.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Icon26 Effervesent Yellow

Was in fact the first color that Carroll Shelby painted the cars. I believe the next color was blue and white.

The first car was painted about six different colors, as they showed it off at different dealers.

Mark I, FFR 1805, 302 Cobra R, Fuel injected, 4 Link, Power steering and brakes, coil overs, TKO 600, Quick time Bell Housing
slapshot2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Not a waxer

See "Computerworks" Ron's comments in reply #18 here.
He is as reliable an authority on all things CSX as you will find.

Jeff
Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text
Sorry...order got a little jumbled when Kodak Gallery migrated to Shutterfly

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread
Mk4 Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread
Mk4 Bodywork & paint thread
JKleiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Original colors can be tough...

I am in the process of trying to track down AC Princess Blue (a/k/a Princess Alice Blue). I was told by the guy that restored COB 6044 that 1960 Jaguar Opalescent Silver-Blue is a close match. I believe he used a paint that is only available in the UK when he restored the car. I also communicated with a guy that restored an original 289 here in MA with a similar color but he wouldn't reveal the paint code.

I have found paint codes for the Jag color but they are for lacquer paints. PPG and my local distributor have tried to match the color in a BC/CC and I picked up a couple of samples this morning. If anyone has any other paint codes for Princess Blue, it would help me out and contribute to this thread. There has been discussion on the other c*bra site that Princess Blue is the same as Viking Blue (renamed because us Americans thought Princess Blue didn't sound tough enough). I am not sure how accurate that is though because Princess Blue seems a lot lighter than Viking Blue in the few pictures I have been able to track down on the web.

-Jon A
FFR #5819 - Mk III, '90 GT Donor, 302 EFI, GT-40 Intake, 65mm TB, T5 Transmission, 4x4 headers, under-drive pulleys, 3G Alt., 3:08 gears, 3-link, 18:1 steering rack, "Street Package" from Winter '06 Sale. Picked kit up 11/18/06. Began Chassis Build-up 2/10/07. First Start 11/13/07. Go Carted 11/17/07. Road legal 5/12/10!! Did my own bodywork but had a pro shoot the paint.
Go Cart Videos...
Build Pics...
Graduation Thread...

Last edited by Jon A; 07-01-2009 at 04:54 PM..
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
BS
FFCars Captain

Keep in mind that the look will be completely different since the original style paints aren't available in the US anymore and they didn't have BC/CC paints back then. Without the luster created by the Clear coats, the original paints didn't have the same finish "look" to them and actually look quite dull compared to the newer paint jobs.
Even the same colors won't have the same look when painted with two stage paints no matter how close the colors actually match.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

GWL

That car sure looks like the one a Knotts all fords 04' Unfortunately I did not get a photo of it but that looks very close to the shade of yellow the guy had.
The gentelman also said he had a few other Cobras ( 427 and 289) most of which were in origional condition.
As to the one he had at the show he said he wasn't even going to clean the rust off the chrome aircleaner or other parts or the shreaded wrap around the front leaf springs. He said if it holds water, fuel oil or gas without leaking he would leave it alone.
As to the comment about the one in the photo here it's interesting that the guy at the show mentioned the same thing about the car being stored since the 70's in a back yard under a pile of tarps blenkets etc. maybe that is it.

John
Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

After looking at all the photos on this car as well as the driver in one of them, i tend to think this is the car and driver I saw and talked with at knotts. Cool.

John
Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
GWL
FFCars Master Craftsman

More Yellow Cars

Found some more yellow cars.

First car here is a photo by Dave Friedman in his book Cobra, The Shelby American Original Archives 1962-1965, 2002. It is interesting to note that this photo was taken for the Racing Department Sales probably in 1964. This would make it a Cobra 289. I can't find any information on when they painted cars yellow. But here it is in front of their building. Dave notes these were customer cars and photos were taken to give prospective buyers options on what they could do with their purchase.

This second photo is from the same book at the Shelby factory. This photo was taken in 1963 and was a Coventry Motors Cobra. Interesting to note the paint design on the car was done by George Lucas that we all know today as a film producer and director. Allen Grant, the driver and George Lucas had been long time friends.

There are other yellow cars but these two are significant because they are taken at the Shelby plant and I still can't find any indication of them painting the cars yellow.

George

'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold
Old 07-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

I am far from an expert (enough knowledge to be dangerous) With the D shaped mouth/nose - definitely a 289. The bottom one, 98 car looks like a slabside with the rear wheel opening opened up a bit. The first car with no number - looks to have more flaired wheel openings - ala FIA (and the forward rollbar support. Then again, seeing as these cars were hand built and almost alwasy in development, especially those designated as racing cars, it could just be some older car with some updated mods made to it.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member

Not sure if it was Princess Blue or if it was Portifino Blue, it was a really light Blue with a hint of purple.
Beautiful color.
Todd
FFR MKI Roadster #2086
FFR Type 65 Coupe #300 - Sold
Detroit Red Wings 11 Time Stanley Cup Winners!!
Todd Baumann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Garage
Post so what about the stripes?

black cars did they show any stripes?
so many blue ones out there, white stripes a norm?
me i am going black with blue stripes probably because i ain't normal
the 70's burned my braincells at least that what they tell me

MK3.1 #6945 her name is Buffy
p/u 04/04/09 roller 08/27/09
start-up Pearl Harbor Day 12/07/10
go-cart Memorial Day 2011
body on 11/11/11 Veterans Day
all legal except paint 02/12/12
372w handbuilt
BigLeo69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement