Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Dave Smith Rocks!

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  The Federalist Patriot 
#1 · (Edited)
$140 for reworked shocks - I can live with that. 2 tanks of gas isn't a bad deal.

Thanks Dave!

#4 ·
I agree, Dave rocks! I jumped on the discount Koni deal as soon as Dave announced it, but it's amazing what FFR is doing for a product that (rightfully) is not warranteed.
(If only our politicians had that same sense of doing what's right . . . oh well. Dave for U.S. Pres?))

#6 ·
If I choose not to ship my shocks back they are ok to drive on now? Isn't this the same program that was offered a month ago and shot down? I'm confused as to what this has solved.

#12 ·
Three cheers for Dave!!

Dave is also trying to get his entire stock of 460 Bilsteins reworked too, to help customers with this whole process. Will take a bit of time, but that's the plan.

#13 ·
So they're NOT safe to drive on? I don't understand, if they are not safe why is Factory Five not replacing them? I don't need upgraded shock, these ones perform just fine.

#15 · (Edited)
So they're NOT safe to drive on? I don't understand, if they are not safe why is Factory Five not replacing them? I don't need upgraded shock, these ones perform just fine.
Hozr, are you just trying to stir the pot or have you not been reading shock posts for the past 6 months?

Read the STICKY!! Nobody has outright admitted fault! Factory Five may pay for the upgrade at some point in the future (keep your receipt). Many ffcars members feel the shocks are unsafe and FFR/Bilstein have been conviced to upgrade the shocks so they won't be inclined to break under less than perfect circumstances. I got rid of my Bilsteins because I felt they were unsafe and I didn't want to wait for a resolution. FFR recommended to stop driving on the shocks listed. Just pay the $70 or $140 and get them upgraded or drive at your own risk. At this point the pot has already been stirred enough and there's no reason to keep on and get banned from ffcars..

Just let it go man!!

John, the plan last month got nixed at the last minute. Now things have been arranged again and you can now get your shocks upgraded if you choose to do so.

Joe - -

#14 ·
Help me understand!?!?!

Okay, from the first thread, isn't 140.00 buck what was offered in the last installment from Dave ? I was not planning on responding to any of these posts about the shocks as I understand my situation with them. But I've read Dave's note on the sticky and it looks the same as before. Has some little bit changed that I'm missing ?

I'm just curious.
John

#16 ·
I will call FFR to ask them this in the morning, but does anyone know if they are suggesting we send the rears in as well or just the fronts? It is my understandnig that no rear shocks have failed. Thanks,
Doug

#18 ·
In the post below from a previous update provided by Dave Smith he mentioned that FFR was going to pay for this upgrade "if that is the way [they] go". What has changed???

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1692246#post1692246

"REPLACEMENT: When I wrote this a month ago I had no idea what we would be able to do with respect to the design, what it would cost, and other things like how we could manage an upgrade or replacement program. Here’s where we are right now a month later. Once the upgraded design was set, the Bilstein company gave us a cost of $35.00 per shock and we developed a re-work/upgrade program. I didn’t like it, but there wasn’t much I could do about it. They feel that their shock is good and I have said as much also, so this program would assuage people who didn’t trust the shocks and give them a stronger one for a small amount of money. I have been put in a tough spot here because I NEED Bilstein to do this upgrade. Once I posted it, boy did I get an earful from some of you guys! As it stands now, if that is the way we go, I will have FFR pay for this work so that customers do not have to pay for upgrades. The cost is staggering and whether Bilstein will help with these is yet to be seen, although I trust their President as he is a good guy."

#19 ·
Thanks TFP, that's kind of my point I guess. I guess I'll have to call FFR. I can't see how this is the only option though, there has to be something other than sending the shocks back to Bilstein and paying out of pocket for them. I'm guessing Dave accidentally posted the old deal instead of the new updated deal he meant to post.

This post is going to get locked like the rest though...

#21 ·
Yes, please call FFR. The post is no accident. This is the current state of the fix. Dave is going to try and get the stock of 460 Bilsteins he has on hand in quarantine rebuilt to help with all this. Like Dave said, save your receipts.

Personally, I drop at leat $100 at the auto parts store without much effort. $70 and axle is a deal.

#20 ·
Four newly rebuilt, stronger, safer Bilstein shocks for $140? What a great deal!

Most of you will only need two.

My shirts cost more than $70.00!

Just do it and quit compalining!

#22 ·
Man you need to start shopping at TJMax more often. Send me $140 bucks, or 2 shirts (your choice) and I'll send my shocks in. I don't like being told what I should or shouldn't do with MY money. By anyone. Call me crazy but I think I should get what I pay for and hold people accountable for their words and deeds...

Just got off the phone with FFR and the verdict is: "if the shocks are installed and maintained correctly THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM WITH THEM."

Oh, and as for re-reimbursement, there is no such plan in place, so don't count on it.

So there you go

#23 ·
I agree that $140 is not a big deal. Others may disagree because that's their 140 bucks. The kit price is going up. FFR will recoup these costs one way or another. I guess my point is that if a guy says he is going to do something then he should plan to follow thru. I'm inclined to think Dave will. That's all...

A gift certificate at FFR would be a good idea. Owners would get back that value, and FFR would dramatically limit their costs of this fiasco.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.