"Do Not Touch" signs - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

"Do Not Touch" signs

I went to a local car show -- the kind where a bunch of street rodders show their cars in a parking lot. There were a couple of Cobra replicas there and they had these “Do Not Touch” signs on them. One even had four signs -- one on each seat, one on the windshield and one on the engine. For some reason those "do not touch" signs come across to me as being a bit tacky and snobbish. People seem to show common sense when they’re looking at cars so perhaps those signs make more of a statement about the owners, I don't know. Have you guys had problems with people damaging your car by touching them when looking at them? I'm talking about something more than fingerprints or simple smudges here. Personally I wouldn't use a sign because I would feel like I'm saying "Look at what I have, and you can't even touch it." Makes me uncomfortable, but then again I can hear my wife saying to me that I'm thinking too hard again.
Sandy_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

There are a lot of people who attend car shows that have a complete disregard for the vehicles they are looking at. They will put their hands all over them, leave finger/hand prints, a lot of which can and does put fine scratches in the clear. This type of stuff pisses me off big time, which is why I don't frequent shows very often anymore. People, especially grown adults, should know better than to put their hands all over other people's property. I can't tell you how many time I've felt like punching people square in the face for the stupid things they do around mine and other peoples' vehicles. It takes a lot of time, money, and effort to paint a car, but people don't seem to understand this. They treat show cars like the vehicles they are used to riding in every day.... anyway I'll stop ranting. If you don't want people to touch your car, don't invite them to by going to car shows. If they don't touch it, it'll be their kids or stupid dogs they bring with them.
mikemustang289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member

Car Show Signs

I took my LAExotics to shows for seven years and had few problems with people abusing the car.

Kids are a different matter altogether.

I had one young girl, proably 5 yrs old, run up to my car and stand on the side pipe to see inside.
I have seen boys, 8 yo 10 yrs old, laying over the door (not on my car, but another Cobra) to see the dash better.
I have seen toddlers walk up to a car (again not mine) and hit it with what ever was in their hand, embarrassed the dad quite a bit.
I have had older types, 40+, walk up and rap sharply on the fender to see if it is metal.
I cringe when ever I see kids riding bicycles around the show area.

Personally, I would stay close to the car and offer to let the kids sit inside to have a picture taken.

"Look but Don't Touch" signs were always part of my display, in the car, at shows. Not because I thought my car was "so special as to be untouchable", but because I was proud of what I had accomplished and wanted to insure proper respect was paid, after all, if I'm don't think it's special, will anyone else?

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
CRZN 427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Tonight I went to the local hangout and watched as some kids were checking out the cars while sitting on their bikes moving around shuffling their bikes in between cars. I told one kid to watch his bike and pointed to his handle bar grip that was damaged and had the end of the pipe poking out ... letting him be aware that he can do some serious damage if he bumped a car... just got a blank stare... what else do you expect ! I went to another cruise and was talking to a guy. It turns out his kid was with him. He was repeatedly throwing a pop can at an electrical box 10 feet away from the gathered cars. I asked the parent to ask him to stop... What did I get in response...I don't control my kid, he can do what ever he wants!!!!!!!!?????? Its just shows you where it starts. There is a F#*@ head ever where you go it seems.

Last edited by COMPETITIONCOBRA; 05-10-2008 at 03:25 PM..
COMPETITIONCOBRA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

I guess I might have been the kid with his hands behind his back, or the adult. I have always kept a "personal space" distance from cars at car shows, and even at the A&W.

The signs have left a "?" in my mind too.

I do stay close to the car, and the big thrill for me is listening/chatting with the people looking at the car. I always offer to let the little kid(s) sit inside and put their gooey (usualy) hands on the wheel. But that is why I'm there. 17 Year old kid standing on side pipes, yeah, that is a problem.

I think you have to decide whether you are going to use it, or show it. There are different perspectives on each. None right, none wrong, but a personal decision.

I really enjoy parking at the super market...

Little kids in mini vans leave no smudges if you park away.

They still get to see the Cobra though. I remember seeing cool cars as a child, I am glad that they were there, and even more glad that they weren't behind ropes. Hey I was nine...
Old 05-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

I would actually like to get a couple of those signs. Without exception, every car show I go to at least one person comes up and bangs on the car to see if it is a real aluminum Cobra. There are always kids running up with sticky hands and purposly running all the way down the car slapping their hands on it. Frankly, the only people I have seen be respectfull are others with cars in the show. The general public hasn't got a clue about how to respect these cars.

Mike
FFR #4984 408 Stroker Roller, Victor Jr. Heads and Intake, Holly 750, IRS, Cobra R Brakes, 3550 Trans

\"All it takes for Evil to succeed; is for good men to do nothing"
Mike in CA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

These cars shouldn't be that stressful. The few car shows I've attended, the viewers have generally been respectful and have usually kept their kids at bay. Of course, there's always a jerk somewhere in the crowd. However, I may have a lower standard of respect because I've got a driver, not a show car. If and when shows become a source of stress because of a handprint I'm outta there. Until then, no signs, no ropes. jmo

Tom
Old 05-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Charter Member

I don't mind the hand prints, but the bikes and strollers that way too close make me uncomfortable. Sometimes I find lots of cigarette ash. I guess people just keep smoking and lean over the car to see the dash.

It's funny how dirty the car can get eventhough it hasn't moved 5 feet in 5 hours.
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Last year I was at the Factory Five open house. After the open house they have cruise. Last year we went over to Plymouth Rock. A nice historic area, Factory five had arranged for a blocked off parking lot area for all of the attending cars to park and have lunch, an ice cream or whatever. My brother and I were sitting having a burger and a beer watching the crowd and at the cars from a second floor porch area at the restaurant across the street. We saw two boy’s, maybe 15 years old or so, walking through the cars carrying their skateboards. We were watching them carefully as they approached my car, they were leaning over it looking inside and generally admiring. The one of them leans over looking down at the back of the driver’s door, reaches in and opens the door and starts to get in the car!!! I yelled at him from far away, and probably made an ass of myself. Of course there were no keys in the car. But needless to say I freaked out.

I agree with cheapsnake, I use my car, at the factory five show I let people who never sat in one , sit in the car take pictures whatever they want as long as they are respectful, these cars should be fun, isn’t that what it is all about?

I am not wild about do not touch signs, anyone with respect for cars of this caliber won’t touch. Anyone without respect for the cars isn’t going to change because of a sign or 10.
RE63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

I have a small "Look but please don't touch" sticker on my windsheild.
Actually it came with a pack of stickers from Summit.
Nothing large and tacky but does get the message across.
Most people have enough respect and consideration to not reach out and rub the paint finish or feel everything on the car.
I look at the sticker as a freindlly reminder.
Uncontroled kids are another story.
Just need to be on the look out for them.
As soon as kids approach the car. first thing I warn them about is hot pipes. Even if it's been sitting.
This most times keeps them at a distance.
hind sight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Major

As the owner of two very well-mannered teen girls, A-hole young boys are a pet peeve of mine. The wife and I were at a show a couple weeks back and sitting in our chairs eating some Panda Express when a family with a VW bug parked next to us decided to leave. Her chair was fairly close to the car so there was no room to go between. Instead of walking around the Bug the people's 10 yr old kid just said, "Move, I need to get through." Now my wife is an assistant teacher so she wasn't about to move and just told the punkette to walk around. The dad just gave us a dirty look instead of dope slapping the kid for talking to an adult that way.

In a related, but non-Cobra, story yesterday while paying for gas at the 7-11 some kid left his bike directly in front of one of the two doors...which do you think I used to get out?

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Captain

As has been said before.

The problem starts with the parents and is passed down to the kids.

SPF 2932, Indigo Blue with Viper Steel Gray Stripes, Roush 427 SRTW Motor, TKO 600 trans. Big A-- tires! Delivered 7/1/09, Scared s--tless 7/2/09.
FFR5452, 2007 grad #1. MkIII, Non donor, 302/400hp, BG Speed Demon, 3 link, Tremec World Class, 3.73 gears, Gordon's Koni's, springs and rear control arms, 17 inchers. SOLD 9/4/09

Legal Defense Fund contributor!
FFR5452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I know everyone has a story, but this happened at a local car club cruise-in here in our small burg. I was admiring the local cars, some I had not seen before. I walked up to a fat fendered hot rod that was pretty decent. There were three "do not touch" signs and also a four year old kid who was climbing the rear fender and sliding down over and over. He had on his cowboy boots and his big belt buckle. The owner was nowhere in sight so I asked the munchkin to stop. He gave me a "go to hell" look and yelled for his mommy. I turned around and there she was with two more in a stroller looking at me as if I was Satan. I explained to her that the paint jobs on these cars were very expensive and she should keep her kids off the cars. Gave me a "humph" and walked away. My advice, stay with your car in case this lady shows up with her kids. Trust me they are everywhere.
Troubleshooting Rule #1. Check the simplest and least expensive things first.
Bullethole is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I have four fake cobras i sit on my car when i show most people stay away when they see them. only way you can keep fingers off your car at show is with stands and rope. i NEVER leave my car unattended when i show. most of the time people are respectful but there are always the aholes. I was at a inside mall show once and had a 80 year old woman actually sit on the fender of my corvette and cursed me when i asked her to please get off it. SHOWS LOVE THEM OR DON'T GO....... i love getting the hotties to sit in the car for pictures, they love it and pisses their boyfriends off big
Vasnakeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
FFCOBRA MASTERCRAFTSMAN 5626
FFCars Captain

Here in Texas, those stupid belt buckles people wear can really mess up a paint job when they lean in to check out the engine.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veni, Vidi, V8
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
As the owner of two very well-mannered teen girls, A-hole young boys are a pet peeve of mine. The wife and I were at a show a couple weeks back and sitting in our chairs eating some Panda Express when a family with a VW bug parked next to us decided to leave. Her chair was fairly close to the car so there was no room to go between. Instead of walking around the Bug the people's 10 yr old kid just said, "Move, I need to get through." Now my wife is an assistant teacher so she wasn't about to move and just told the punkette to walk around. The dad just gave us a dirty look instead of dope slapping the kid for talking to an adult that way.

In a related, but non-Cobra, story yesterday while paying for gas at the 7-11 some kid left his bike directly in front of one of the two doors...which do you think I used to get out?

Mike, you remind me of me.

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem.
ROUSHAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

I was a bit nervous at Huntington Beach this year when all the bicycle riding surfer trash, while holding their boards would ride up between the cars to check them out. I didn't mind if they leaned in to look, but wish they would leave the bicycles and surfboards out in the isle. One of them, pointed to my master cutoff switch, commented to his buddy, "Look, that's the switch for the fire suppression system"
Old 05-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

I had fixed up a Porsche 914 one time, and painted it myself using Corvette Yellow lacquer, covered with several coats of Gold Pearl in Clear lacquer and then several more coats of clear. Then I color sanded and HAND polished it.

Right after I finished it I showed it in the local World of Wheels show. All the cars were roped off. Some idiot Airman steps over the ropes to take a picture and dropped his camera right on my hood, damaging it. Luckily another participant saw him do it and detained him until they got his name.

I made him pay several hundered dollars for the damage, but apparently he had no money, so I got a letter (along with a check) from his Mother complaining that they thought I was taking advantage of him by charging him whatever it was. They couldn't fathom the amount of work that went into a paint job like that.

Steve
FFR4776, Ford Performance Red, Arctic White Stripes, Balanced 5.0L, TRW forged pistons, Cobra intake, “F” Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, 24lb injectors, BBK 70mm TB & EGR, Calibrated Vortech 73mm MAF, 190 LPH Holley, 8 Qt. Canton S/S Pan, RAM Clutch & Steel SFI Flywheel, SFI Damper, Ceramic 4 into 4's, Underdrive pullies, T5Z, B&M shifter, 3-link 8.8 w/3.55's & Granatelli Girdle, Tubular control arms & coilovers, Halibrand style wheels.
Porxter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Major

I'll consider that high compliment.

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veni, Vidi, V8
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

I'll consider that high compliment.
That's the way I meant it, but a lot of folks would probably disagree with the benefits of being like us.

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem.
ROUSHAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

People at car shows are great as long as they look with their eyes and not with their hands.

Kids at car shows are great as long as they are either old enough to understand that they must keep their distance and respect other people's property.

Toddlers at car shows - Not unless they are held by Mom and/or Dad and kept a suitable distance.

From a couple of isles away I watched in horror as a little kid 8 or 9 not in control of his parents went swinging from the ropes between the stanchions and pulled the 3 of the chrome-steel stanchions right into the side of a polished aluminum Jag. Dents in the front end, the door and rear quarter! The owner was just on the other side of the car when someone holler stop that kid. The owner screamed and was crying - I found out later that he had worked for 20 years to bring the car all the way back from a basket case.

The parents of the kid were going to do nothing. A couple of other owners stopped them from leaving long enough for the security guard to be called to the scene.. I don't know what the bottom line was but I did hear the father hollering that if the stanchions were that unstable that they should not have been used and that the rope was just inviting kids to do what his son had done..

If you're going to an autoshow and you have young children - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE either keep them 110% within your control - or leave them at home with a sitter..

I've also had kids stand on my sidepipes. it p!sses me off absolutely no end...

Let the kiddies use the rAt rOdZ as jungle-gyms....
69 Camaro SS 4spd
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid - 44.2 MPG daily driver
2002 Avalanche 2500 - Avian Target
My GT-40 Build Site: http://www.GT-FORTY.com
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

This isn't so much an observation but a question. I would think that at a larger show, where there are thousands of cars, it would be safer than the local strip mall show wouldn't you? My reasoning is that by the time the offensive persons get to your car they have been 'calibrated' by more than one owner? If so, don't park by the entrance gate!

Jerry
#6309 delivered 9/17/07.

94 donor Mustang GT,GT-40 Aluminum Heads, FAST EZ-EFI, 3.73 gears, 3 link, FFR/Ron Francis Wiring, Whitby top
jvikla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #23 (permalink)

Most folks know not to touch the cars at a show. Sometimes you need to put the signs up to remind parents to keep their kids off the car; kids will be kids, and need the parents to teach them car shoe etiquette.

MK IV Coyote Complete Kit #8075 arrived 6/26/13: 8.8 solid, 3.55:1, TKO 500, PS/PB/ABS/AC, 245/60R15 x 295/50R15, modular dash. Having fun.

MK IV Build Thread: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ote-build.html
dale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 03:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

Wouldn't it be great to have a manditory "hands cuffed behind your back" for spectators at shows.

,,,,or you could just hand a tazer to the car owners and authorize them to shock the crap out of anyone needing an attitude adjustment.

http://avanhollebeke.winkflash.com/
Alain V. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 04:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemustang289 View Post
There are a lot of people who attend car shows that have a complete disregard for the vehicles they are looking at. They will put their hands all over them, leave finger/hand prints, a lot of which can and does put fine scratches in the clear.

...and it's not just at car shows.

This afternoon we met up with the family for lunch in my WRX STi. I parked WAY at the other end of the lot (where it was empty) beside a brand new Magnum Hemi done up with nice wheels that arrived at about the same time. As I got out of the car I complimented the owner on his car. He complimented me on mine. It was obvious we were both "car guys", and we both parked where we did for a reason.

As we walked back to the car after lunch (but still a good half city block away) I noticed the family from the Magnum gathered by his car, as he proudly showed it to his 70ish parents and pointed out it's finer points......all while his father was leaning against my car and had his arm and hand on the rear wing.

Neither him nor his son had a clue or a care. Had our families not been there the story would have had a much different ending.

People are F*cking idiots.

Last edited by turboguy; 05-11-2008 at 04:32 AM..
turboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

Last month... our club did a run to a big festival out here. We were all lined up in a special section and showing for the crowd. At some point in the morning one of our guys gets my attention and says, "Someone's trying to get in your car..." So I turn around and sure enough these Japanese tourist types are getting out a camera and this girl is yanking on my door latch trying to get it open. Before I can get there (and decide how much of a scene to make) she manages to get the door open and get in.

I was totally beside myself. I could not believe someone would get in another persons car without even asking. I got in all their faces and made it clear what I thought but they didn't even react. They spoke perfect english but showed no reaction at all to my anger not even an apology. I'm a peacefull person but that level of disrespect left me dumbfounded.

I still can't believe someone actually got in without even asking. My car is a "street" car and I'd be happy to let someone sit in it, if they ask first.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #27 (permalink)
FFR Craftsman

boy, just reading some of your stories makes me angry!

I had a similar thing where my newphews co-worker saw my car, fresh from SRP and he runs his finger, all dry and cracked, across the paint a few time... like he could feel any smoothness ... and he left scratches! I didn't say much to him but told my newphew afterwards that he just scratched at $7,000 paint job.

Here's one that you can only just take a deep breath and sigh.

My daughter saw the car for the first time and my older daughter knew the paint job was expensive... but the little one had no concept so she touches it... it just left a finger print, no biggie, but big sister was being helpful "Shelby, you left a finger print on dads car"... so Shelby decided to clean it up.... with a finger nail grit board!!!!! I didn't panic and just said "Shelby, no, don't use that; use a towel next time." My wife thought I was going to go ballistic.

This is where counting to 10 really, really helps! Upset, yes and it was very hard not to let it show. Since then, the paint's gotten chips from rocks, scratches elsewhere and now I just drive it like a regular car. But I do respect other cars all the same and still expect a certain amount of respect when it comes to my FFR as well.
║FFR #4883: 347CID|CompCam Magnum 286HR|Vic. Jr. heads|Hurricane Intake
║Mighty Demon 650DP|IRS w/Torsen T2 & 3.55|MSD ignition system
║Mallory pump/filter/reg.|Hallibrand 17" w/275-45R17 & 315-35R17|
║Original I-Squared 1+1 System ☺ ☺☺
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════ ═══
289FIA_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #28 (permalink)

We're amongst generations that failed to teach their children to respect others and their property. The true car guy that goes to these events with their kids are more likely to instill upon them the importance of LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH.

Maybe a spray bottle full of water and a firm "NO" would keep these
inconsiderate, latte drinking, finger print leaving families at bay. I trained older dogs with this method. People are smarter than dogs, right?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaulk View Post
We're amongst generations that failed to teach their children to respect others and their property.
Very well said and so true.

No car shows yet for me but you guys have me wondering. A lot of the ones I attend the owners are not near their cars and I have always wondered about that.

MKIII Delivered 4/05, Graduated 8/07, 351W, Carb, 3-link, 4x4's w/Gas-N Pipes, Disks, 15" Team III, T5Z, 3.55 Rear, Indigo Ink and Titanium by Ron Randall at Metal-Morphous
MrJeffreyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #30 (permalink)

Please don't touch...

Hey all-
I think a sign that said "Please don't touch...or I will TAZE you." would work better. Some of you guys and gals have the patience of a saint. If somebody did anything like that to my roadster, I would straight up freak the f**K out. If you can't keep your kids under control, stay the hell away from a car show.
TNG
Thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement