For Sale: Fast Freddie's Fabrications Lexan Roadster Windshield - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Classifieds > Sponsoring Manufacturer & Vendor Forum
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fast Freddie's Fabrications Lexan Roadster Windshield

Fast Freddie's Fabrications is proud to announce the release of our new Lexan Roadster Windshield.

Are you getting annoyed at having to replace your cracked FFR Roadster's glass windshield? We were! So how about the only solution to put an end to that misery with our CNC machined Lexan MR-10 windshields. Lexan MR-10 is an advanced type of plastic that is truly unbreakable for safety. It is National Transportation Safety Board approved and widely used in many window applications including airplane windows, marine hatches, eyeglasses, face shields, and architectural windows. Oh yeah, and NHRA, IHRA, SCCA, and NASCAR use them as well! Our Lexan MR-10 is crystal clear and uses the latest technology specially coated polycarbonate to offer enhanced durability, scratch resistance and UV protection from the elements. Do not mistake this product with the generic lexans, polycarbonates, or plexiglasses which can scratch easily and turn a yellowish hue with prolonged sun exposure.

Additionally, if you are looking to save a little weight these windshields offers a 13lb reduction over the stock FFR glass as well.

Our windshields include new weather-stripping (custom extruded to Fast Freddie's specifications), detailed installation instructions, installation tools, and we've even thrown in some of those pesky little FFR windshield frame screws that are so easy to misplace.

Installation Instructions

Windshields are In Stock and Ready to Ship! Visit www.fastfreddiesfabrications.com to order online.

Price is $279.95 shipped anywhere in the continental US. If outside the lower 48, please email us at sales@fastfreddiesfabrications.com for a shipping quote. We ship worldwide!

We welcome all questions and comments, and would love to hear any feedback from our current customers who have purchased this product.

For personal inquiries, please PM FFcobra.com users FredK or Brian@FastFreddie's
FastFreddiesFabrications is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
TD
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Captain

Garage
Quote:
National Transportation Safety Board approved
Are they Dot approved? Pa requires me to be D.O.T. approved.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Too much is just enough.
FFCars Captain

The web page says bullet proof. Is that true?
Motorhead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 03:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Are they Dot approved? Pa requires me to be D.O.T. approved.
Unfortunately, lexan windshields are not DOT legal at this time. It is hard to comprehend why lexan windshields are not approved. We have contacted DOT via phone (sent to voicemail with no return calls) and have emailed (also with no response) to at least try to get a clearer understanding. We believe it is because lexan would impede access to passengers in the event of an emergency. Companies that provide armored vehicles utilize lexan for their windshields and somehow they get past the issue..?!? For those who don't care about DOT (as there are probably many other things on your roadster that technically aren't legit or comply with today's safety standards), I can tell you that it is very difficult for anyone to tell the difference between the glass and the lexan shield. Here in Maryland, there is no column on the safety inspectors check list that says, "verify DOT numbers on all parts". If you get to your 2nd cracked windshield, it might be time to take the chance. After personally dealing with the frustration of 3 broken glass windshields in less than a year, the decision was pretty easy for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_Cobra427 View Post
Yes; although, that all depends on the size of the bullet and the thickness of the lexan utilized. In general, lexan is often known for its energy absorbing qualities with regards to projectiles; which is why bulletproof glass is typically constructed using lexan (aka polycarbonate). Again, armored vehicles utilize the stuff; however, a typical armored vehicle usually has 1"+ thick lexan vs. our 3/16" thick shield.

-Brian
Brian@FastFreddie's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_Cobra427 View Post
Well, the results are in...

Fred held the 3/16" thick windshield; I held the gun.... Fred almost died of a heart attack, but he survived the bullet!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Benched

I guess it's true about a picture being worth 1000 words. That is too cool!

Garage Cam

http://mk4-cobrabuild.viewnetcam.com...gle&Language=0
Mikey_P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_P View Post
I guess it's true about a picture being worth 1000 words. That is too cool!
We were a bit surprised ourselves, considering the material is only 3/16" thick.

Thanks for the orders everyone!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

How much

For the windshield with the bullet hole?
Mark Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 02:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Too much is just enough.
FFCars Captain

would you guys try a 40 or 45 cal. pistol? plz...
Old 09-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Haha... Actually, we didn't ruin one of our real windshields for that little experiment. As you can tell in the pic, there are some minor scratches on that piece of lexan with the bullet hole. That's because it was done on a cheaper grade (non MR-10 coated) lexan that we could afford to ruin. So, if you wish, just send us a $279.95 payment and we'll make any bullet pattern you want in your lexan windshield!

Mark - If interested in becoming a distributor for FFF, just shoot me a PM and I think we can work out an easy solution.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Geek

Question: can you run windshield wipers with this? (I understand from previous posts that this has been a problem with non-glass windshields - not sure why - scratching??)
FFR Mk3.1 #6720 delivered 8/14/08. Currently undergoing a substantial change in plans from originally intended...
ram_g is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Question: can you run windshield wipers with this? (I understand from previous posts that this has been a problem with non-glass windshields - not sure why - scratching??)
Yes, the scratching issue is normally why non-glass windshields should not use wipers. Honestly, not enough testing has been done on our end to completely answer the wiper question at this time with our MR-10 coated lexan. The lexan surface is what is soft. The MR-10 coating is hard and offers the abrasion resistance. The material is still not abrasion proof. The MR-10 coating is a few thousandths thick, and that is what protects the surface from being scratched. You can clean it with a rag all day long and you won’t scratch it (unlike unprotected lexan); however, if you try to mar the surface with a sharp object, you will break the MR-10 coating and it will damage the material. So if you have a sharp rock embedded in a wiper, then chances are it could still pierce through the coating and you would get a scratch. We firmly believe that if you keep your wipers clean, you will be just fine with normal “Cobra driving” use. Most of us aren't planning to purposely drive in the rain, but if Mother Nature is not cooperating, and you need to use wipers, it will be fine for those occasions. We tested wipers for a while and actually threw some dirt and rocks at the thing with the wipers on and never had a scratch. Have we done 50,000 miles worth of driving in the rain with wipers? Well no... So the only question at hand that we have not been able to answer is: Over what prolonged period of time will clean wipers wear off the MR-10 coating completely? And is this even possible? So for now we say, keep your wipers clean, and just try not to put all the miles on your Cobra in the rain.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Too much is just enough.
FFCars Captain

Well the lexan you are using I believe is race spec. Those Plexiglas windshields are pretty good at staying scratch free, and they see in one race what a car will in tens of thousands of miles. Correct me if I'm wrong about your windshields being racing spec, but if they are, I'm sure you won't have a problem with scratching from wipers. As long as you don't live in Seattle, you most likely won't see much rain.

What type of Plexiglas does FFR use on their cars?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yes sir, pretty much all racing series use the same Lexan MR-10 material. Lexan material was trade marked by GE Plastics, but they have since been bought out by SABIC Innovative Plastics, which is the sole supplier of the material. All the big names (NHRA, IHRA, SCCA, NASCAR) use it!

However, Lexan and Plexiglas are not one in the same. Lexan is a polycarbonate, while Plexiglas is considered an acrylic. Plexiglass was founded 30-40 years before Lexan. It is an older, cheaper style of thermoplastic material used for windows. It can be purchased for far less than Lexan, but has significantly less impact strength. It can crack (unlike Lexan), it's not very translucent in comparison to Lexan, and over time, exposure to sunlight will cause it to turn yellow. It's pretty junky stuff in comparison to Lexan, but it works for some applications. The one positive is it can be molded easy, which is most likely why FFR uses the stuff on the rear hatch of their coupe. I don't think they apply any form of coating on it, so it can scratch easy as well.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Too much is just enough.
FFCars Captain

I work a little with the 2 plastics, acrylic and polycarbonate. For what I do though, there is little difference between the 2. I make picture frames out of it. So Lexan is twice as expensive to make a frame out of. It is true what you said about the benefits of Lexan over acrylic.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

On your race windscreens, do you have them for both driver and passenger side? Thanks in advance.
Thomas
Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post
On your race windscreens, do you have them for both driver and passenger side? Thanks in advance.
Thomas
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the question! The black anodized aluminum base is completely symmetrical; so it works on both sides. You just flip-flop the lexan shield when installing on the passenger side and you are good to go. We expect more race windscreens to finally be back in stock this week. Fred wants to throw one on his passenger side once we get our stock built back up, so we'll have some pics of both installed for you to view shortly.

Lastly, to reward our customers, we've just set the website up to automatically take 10% off your order if you add a pair of race windscreens to the online shopping cart.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 10-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Just Placed Order

Well, despite knowing the risks and exercising what I thought was adequate caution, I cracked my roadster windshield when installing visors today. So I just placed my order via your website. Hopefully, you can ship ASAP since I have a show event to attend next Saturday. It sounds like I can install visors without worrying about grounding the screws on your windshield - correct?

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for the order Mike! Your shield is going out today and you will receive by Tuesday, so hopefully that will give you ample time to install. Enjoy!
-Brian

BTW, you will receive a UPS tracking number via email later today…
Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Smile Very Satisfied

I don't know Brian - it took you 8 whole minutes to respond to my post. Everything occurred just as you said it would. Received invoice and tracking number via email same day order placed and windshield arrived via UPS on Tuesday. I installed it in time for the weekend and am very happy with it.

There is occassionally some justified criticism of the instructions that forum members provide when they develop an item specific to a FFR. Even some full time vendors do a second rate job on this. Not every vendor, every time but - in my experience, several disappointments in that area. I think that, in some cases, they rely on the forum to serve as a substitute for the appropriate documentation. Your instructions are the best that I have seen with clear photos to illustrate the steps.

I heartily endorse the product and the service levels.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Mr. Congeniality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@FastFreddie's View Post
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the question! The black anodized aluminum base is completely symmetrical; so it works on both sides. You just flip-flop the lexan shield when installing on the passenger side and you are good to go. We expect more race windscreens to finally be back in stock this week. Fred wants to throw one on his passenger side once we get our stock built back up, so we'll have some pics of both installed for you to view shortly.

Lastly, to reward our customers, we've just set the website up to automatically take 10% off your order if you add a pair of race windscreens to the online shopping cart.

Thanks,
Brian
Is this deal still available? Also, do you have it any anything but black?
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra MD View Post
I don't know Brian - it took you 8 whole minutes to respond to my post. Everything occurred just as you said it would. Received invoice and tracking number via email same day order placed and windshield arrived via UPS on Tuesday. I installed it in time for the weekend and am very happy with it.

There is occassionally some justified criticism of the instructions that forum members provide when they develop an item specific to a FFR. Even some full time vendors do a second rate job on this. Not every vendor, every time but - in my experience, several disappointments in that area. I think that, in some cases, they rely on the forum to serve as a substitute for the appropriate documentation. Your instructions are the best that I have seen with clear photos to illustrate the steps.

I heartily endorse the product and the service levels.
Mike - We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment on the product and service! Our philosophy is simple; we strive to present a product in the same manner as we would like to receive a product. I guess you could call it our own version of the golden rule... Thanks again for your purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
Is this deal still available? Also, do you have it any anything but black?
Yes sir, all day every day, the 10% off of the purchase of 2 race windscreens is valid. Just add Qty=2 to the online shopping cart and you can observe the revised price. Also note that shipping is FREE for all of our products on any order that ships within the continental US.

Unfortunately, we only have black anodized versions of the race windscreen ready to go at this time. You could easily sand/bead blast the anodizing off the parts and either polish, powder coat, paint, or re-anodize the parts to your desired look. We can most likely provide that service for you as well. Just PM me if you have a specific finish request and I can work on pricing and lead time for you.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Charter Member

ah, I've been waiting for something like this to come along. I am on my second FFR windshield and got a stone chip 1 week after putting it in.
Jack be Quick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement