Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Alternative window seals?

6K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  BrentM 
#1 ·
Has anyone used something other than the FFR supplied felted weather seals? The ones that go on top of the door for the power windows. Mine are B/O and heard horror stories about the FFR seals. Any info would be great. Thanks, T.W.:confused1:

#12 ·
alternate weather strips

Hi - You can review what is available from FairChild Industries as they have a large selection . I then selected their number 0197 and bought them from StreetPerformance.com but you can purchase also directly from FairChild.
Rock Auto had also stocked these . Street Performance listed them as item # FAI 75000197 .
At one time JC Whitney also stocked them . You may want a different confirguration than I selected so that is why I suggested you look at the products that FairChild produces .
Hope this helps you !
Harold

#14 ·
alternate weather strips

Hi - I need to correct the previous information I posted . I used the FairChild Industries # 0197 extrusion on a '33 Ford sedan I built . However on the FFR 33 I am using their # 1599 as I wanted the flocked surface so the window operator had less resistance . I got that extrusion from RockAuto.com .
In both applications I epoxied the strip into the door window opening as the configeration of the exrtrusion's cross section adds addiional regidity to the top of the door opening.
Harold

#21 ·
I picked up the steele rubber half round felted seals.

And will be getting some aluminum angle. There are a few things I like about Bruce's solution. One is that I can install these then remove them for paint, I am going to use 8-32 screws to secure it to the doors which will match the other screws all over my car. two is that these protrude down into the door to support the glass when the window is down. The third is that when I add material to build up the top of the door, these will still fit. I could not figure out how to get my 4 1/2" grinder down inside the door to grind the under side of the top of the door so the supplied seal can slip over the glass.

I will do a couple small sections to test it out and see how this works. I may even use rivet nuts and install these before I add to the tops of the doors and flush out the aluminum with the body.

#24 ·
I could not figure out how to get my 4 1/2" grinder down inside the door to grind the under side of the top of the door so the supplied seal can slip over the glass.
I used a right angle die grinder with a 2" rolloc pad. Was able to shave the underside of the lip, but the gaskets still fit like crap. It was only temporary anyway so I'm going to redo wit ha better solution.

#27 ·
I like the way it works, there is not too much pressure on the window as you can set it anywhere you want. I would use it again.

I will post a few pics of the finished seal

#29 ·
Hi, Dave, I dont have any pictures right now but I will try to get some.
I made a piece of angle iron from stainless steel. I bonded it to the underside of the body with rivets. The rivets are recessed in the body. Later filled with bondo.
I then purchased these seals from Rock Auto FAIRCHILD 01934. I cut them to the proper lenght then screwed them in the stainless piece.
The windows seals up nice and they are not loose whats so ever. I didnt even have to install the rear window guide cause they dont wobble or vibrate at speed. I know pictures would help out.

#31 ·
Here are a couple pics of my finished seals.

I like the idea of mounting from below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.